follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 06-27-2019, 06:24 AM   #295
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by used2likeit View Post
Also, it looks like my car did about 3000km before taking a crap, according to the dealer. I should note that my driving pattern has been home -> daycare -> work, work -> daycare -> home, with ten minute stop-n-go trips to each stop. That possibly extended the life of the bearing, allowing it to cool down while parked at daycare. Saw crap in my oil pickup mesh as well

Most wear on bearings comes from cold starts. I call bs on their theory. Avoiding redline, cold starts and low oil conditions saves bearings but most of all, avoiding blockage from sealant will save bearings.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
maslin (06-27-2019), Tcoat (07-12-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #296
bobbinator

Drives: 2013 FRS Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Vehicle Mileage: 100650
Vehicle Make: Scion
Mileage After Recall Performed: 1000
Symptom(s): None
Failure: None
State: CA
Is Dealership Offering Repair:

I got it done at South Bay Toyota. Those guys were very nice and helpful. Couple days after i got the recall done i heard noise coming from engine bay. Towed it to the dealership and told them i am hearing this after the recall. They drained oil to check for residual but didn't find anything. Noticed something was loose so they fixed it and the car is in perfect condition for now. Hopefully it will stay the same.
bobbinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #297
used2likeit

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 6MT, Daily Driver
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftpunk View Post
Damn, did you take pictures of this? Should be irrefutable evidence of it being their fault. It's not like you put that sealant in there lol

Yep, I did photo the mesh with bits, and the bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Most wear on bearings comes from cold starts. I call bs on their theory. Avoiding redline, cold starts and low oil conditions saves bearings but most of all, avoiding blockage from sealant will save bearings.

It's my theory, not theirs. So far nobody admits anything, only finger pointing. I can elaborate more in the discussion thread.
used2likeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #298
BoxRZ_86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Vehicle Mileage: 105,600
Vehicle Make: Subaru BRZ
Mileage After Recall Performed: 111,000
Symptom(s): sudden engine failure as I was driving off ramp of highway
Failure: No. 3 cylinder bearing
State: NJ
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Flemington Subaru performed the recall. Corporate Subaru offered a 3,000 "goodwill" towards 6300 repair bill.

That is not where the story ends. So they say no one was at fault. it was just a mechanical failure. After arguing that I believed they were at fault for this failure they said the valve springs recall couldn't cause any issues with the connecting rod bearings...the discussion went no where. i wanted my car back. So after paying the 3,300 for the repairs. I started the car and it had a check engine light on. The technician comes out and plugs in his computer and says its the EVAP sensor. So now I have to wait a few more days. Return again to pick up the car and now I can hear the clutch is making a chattering sound. I push in the clutch pedal and it goes away. release it and the chattering comes back. (I had the clutch replaced right around 103k miles cause the throw out bearing went bad. I replaced it with a Excedy OE clutch and new flywheel as well as had a new Input shaft cover replaced just incase the throw out bearing scorned the old one. also had a Verus forged clutch fork put in) I bring this to their attention and they tell me they will have their technicians look at it. Again a couple of days later I am told "technicians can't hear any sounds everything seems good. it drives good. it's ready for pick up". I get there and start the car. I hear the sound and now if I push in the clutch slowly i hear a squeal and a on and off scrapping sound. to me clearly its the clutch. may be the finger to the pressure plate was bent during installation. So I go in and ask if someone wants to come out and listen. they send the tech out. i repeat what i did and said does that seem right. he says "no that doesn't sound normal, but it came in with a blown motor so i dont know what it sounded like before". so now i am refusing to take the car until they fix it. But I just got a call from the dealer saying that subaru will not pay to have them look further into. And that their technician thinks the sound is coming from within the transmission. As in the transmission itself need to be pulled apart to find this sound. I should have never had this recall done. my car was a dream up until this recall.
BoxRZ_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoxRZ_86 For This Useful Post:
Gunman (07-09-2019), humfrz (07-11-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #299
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm really dearly sorry for everyone going through this god forsaken mess what did the car gods shit on us ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #300
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Friendly reminder for everyone who suffers a post-recall failure:

PLEASE FILL OUT AN NHTSA REPORT. These are critical for ensuring Subaru/Toyota modify the recall procedures and provide a proper and full fix.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #301
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Friendly reminder for everyone who suffers a post-recall failure:

PLEASE FILL OUT AN NHTSA REPORT. These are critical for ensuring Subaru/Toyota modify the recall procedures and provide a proper and full fix.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

It's sickening how many people have experienced these failures only to be given the run around or declined by Toyota when it was their damn techs who screwed up the recall. A class action appears to be wholly appropriate in the coming future.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #302
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
It's sickening how many people have experienced these failures only to be given the run around or declined by Toyota when it was their damn techs who screwed up the recall. A class action appears to be wholly appropriate in the coming future.
Against...?

Dealers are independently owned. The technicians are employed by the dealers. No one works for Toyota.

When people ask where I work I say “I work for Mercedes” which couldn’t be further from the truth. I work for “Euro Imports an Authorized Mercedes Benz Retailer”. Doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

We pay to go to training, we pay for tools from the manufacturer, we pay for the ability to make money off of their products.

Individuals can sue the dealer that gave them the run around. This isn’t Supreme Court level stuff.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-10-2019), Gunman (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #303
zeroomega

Drives: Supra MKV, FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroomega View Post
Vehicle Mileage: 59xxx
Vehicle Make: Scion
Mileage After Recall Performed: 60xxx (671)
Symptom(s): Oil leaks at bottom of timing chain cover (may be the o ring of the dipstick). Burning smell.
Failure:
State: CA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: They are investigating.

It's not a failure yet but I would like to report it to provide some data point. It's very likely the dealer reuse the o rings that should be replaced during the recall.

I won't go to this same dealer for future maintenance or repairs anymore. When they perform J02 recall, they even forgot to roll down the window before disconnecting the battery. It may cause some damage to the weather seals. The car now has rattles around the door.
I just finished my first oil change after the recall and sent the used oil for analysis. The report(attached) looks good. The car current is currently 3400 miles after the recall work was done. So I think my engine is OK after the recall. The car went through 3 track days without any issues. And the burning smell disappeared 3 months after last repair. I don't know why it takes so long but finally it disappeared.
Attached Images

zeroomega is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zeroomega For This Useful Post:
caus (07-13-2019), Dadhawk (07-10-2019), Lonewolf (07-11-2019), milanojess (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #304
Lonewolf

WTF is up with the site? Does anybody maintain it? The edit function has gone nuts.

Last edited by Lonewolf; 07-11-2019 at 11:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Magoo (07-13-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #305
Lonewolf

See below...
Old 07-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #306
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Against...?

Dealers are independently owned. The technicians are employed by the dealers. No one works for Toyota.

When people ask where I work I say “I work for Mercedes” which couldn’t be further from the truth. I work for “Euro Imports an Authorized Mercedes Benz Retailer”. Doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

We pay to go to training, we pay for tools from the manufacturer, we pay for the ability to make money off of their products.

Individuals can sue the dealer that gave them the run around. This isn’t Supreme Court level stuff.

Yeah, I was speaking quickly and didn't realize I had to identify potential vicarious liability/agent liability, negligent supervision issues, lol. Dealerships are independently owned and operated, but guess who they are compensated by, affiliated with, and usually trained by....just let it sink in for a moment.

Against? You're joking right? As an attorney, it is easy to see potential causes of action (negligence, assorted tort actions) against both Toyota and each and every dealership who fails to follow proper recall procedures and causes damage or property loss to customers vehicles. No, it isn't Supreme Court stuff, it is usually lower level civil litigation...
Old 07-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #307
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sound like you’re the one to take it on. Best of luck.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #308
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Yeah, I was speaking quickly and didn't realize I had to identify potential vicarious liability/agent liability, negligent supervision issues, lol. Dealerships are independently owned and operated, but guess who they are compensated by, affiliated with, and usually trained by....just let it sink in for a moment.

Against? You're joking right? As an attorney, it is easy to see potential causes of action (negligence, assorted tort actions) against both Toyota and each and every dealership who fails to follow proper recall procedures and causes damage or property loss to customers vehicles. No, it isn't Supreme Court stuff, it is usually lower level civil litigation...
I'm >< close to taking SOA to small claims. Apparently the chances of them actually sending someone to appear for a small claims case are rather slim, so a judgement by default is the usual outcome.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring