follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Verus Engineering Carbon Duck Tail Spoiler Thread

This is a product we have been working on for quite a few months, I think we actually started it late last year. We wanted to design a very aesthetically pleasing spoiler that functioned by itself, as well as with our rear wing to boost downforce in the rear even further. We are working on a group buy right now, please contact Sales@Verus-Engineering.com if you are interested.

Construction:
-The carbon mold was made from billet aluminum off our CAD
-2x2 Twill 1.5mm Thick Pre-Preg Carbon
-Two-piece design bonded together
-Matte and Gloss Clear Coat (UV resistant)

Performance:

The rear spoiler improves the efficiency of the entire vehicle significantly and increases rear downforce as well.

Fitment:
-Covers 13-16 BRZ Rear Spoiler Holes
-Covers 13-16 FRS Rear Spoiler Holes
-17+ Spoiler holes are not fully covered (see photo below)
-We are looking into the cost of modifying the mold, please contact us if you are interested in 17+ fitment so we can gauge interest.

Photos On Car w/ both Matte and Gloss Finish:

Pricing:
$579.95, please contact us for initial release group buy pricing! Sales@Verus-Engineering.com

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by VerusEric; 05-07-2019 at 04:18 PM.
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (05-06-2019), DAEMANO (05-07-2019), Go Frogs (05-06-2019), JDKane527 (05-06-2019), Pointmutation (05-11-2019), PulsarBeeerz (05-06-2019), Racecomp Engineering (05-06-2019), tehShirt (05-06-2019), wparsons (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
Thunder86

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86 GT trim (Thunder)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I WILL BUY this product if the option to cover holes from 17+ spoiler becomes available.

Just a little nudge... if this option becomes available, pretty sure it would be the only ducktail spoiler to cover holes from the 17+ model on the market!

Email sent.
femaledog (05-25-2019), Gecko (05-29-2019), Plumbus (10-08-2020), trxn (05-06-2019), VerusEric (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post

Would love to see more flow/drag, fluid dynamics images of the car with stock components and or higher/wider duckbills.

How does your duckbill work with and/or compliment things such as (roof) vortex generators and rear diffusers?

Fluid dynamics, air management, and drag coefficients are cool stuff.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hows the CFD performance compared to the OEM BRZ spoiler with a wickerbill?
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
200hp/tonne

Drives: Raven Fr-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
Would love to see more flow/drag, fluid dynamics images of the car with stock components and or higher/wider duckbills.

How does your duckbill work with and/or compliment things such as (roof) vortex generators and rear diffusers?
I second that

200hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Verus Engineering Carbon Duck Tail Spoiler Thread

How is it mounted? Fasteners or tape only?

I too would like to see how it compares to the OEM spoiler.

Any paint matched pictures?
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (05-06-2019), JDKane527 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
Shoebox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So you want me to believe that a duckbill produces 100% more downforce than a gt250 wing and at the same time produces 400% more drag than a gt250 wing? Might want to check your CFD settings or throw this thing away. ��������
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #8
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
So you want me to believe that a duckbill produces 100% more downforce than a gt250 wing and at the same time produces 400% more drag than a gt250 wing? Might want to check your CFD settings or throw this thing away. ��������
When combined with their swan neck wing it does...
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #9
2Wavy

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Could you post CFD data for a stock car vs a car with this duckbill? The data you've posted seems like it might be with the rest of your aero parts including the wing, but I'm debating adding this to an otherwise stock car, and that data would be useful for many of us I think.
2Wavy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Wavy For This Useful Post:
Horrid_Funk (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #10
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Nice and clean!
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #11
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
When combined with their swan neck wing it does...
It literally says duckbill spoiler and the pics/cfd images all only show the duckbill. But let’s go with what you said. The gt250 wing would be far superior than their entire aero package. Which fail are you going with?
Old 05-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #12
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post

Fluid dynamics, air management, and drag coefficients are cool stuff.

Here are some added CFD images of the ducktail spoiler with our Ventus 2 package.

The FR-S/BRZ does not need vortex generators as the flow stays attached to the roof due to the shape of the car. Vortex generators work more on sedan type shapes to keep flow attached to the more dramatic ramp down of the rear glass on those body styles.

The ducktail would improve/compliment rear diffuser function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Hows the CFD performance compared to the OEM BRZ spoiler with a wickerbill?
We don't compare our products to other units on the market. However, I have added a graph with the OE BRZ spoiler in comparison on the first post and added below. Our spoiler produces more downforce and drag than the OE unit. This is expected though as it is more aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
How is it mounted? Fasteners or tape only?

I too would like to see how it compares to the OEM spoiler.

Any paint matched pictures?
It will be attached via VHB 3M tape; which we have seen hold up to some very impressive loads at this point. The dive planes below have seen over 150MPH and are only attached with double-sided tape.

We do not have any paint matched photos currently.

Quote:
The note on the graph stated the numbers were with our entire Ventus 2 aero kit. I have edited the original post to clarify this. The graph is with our entire Ventus 2 aero kit on the car. The graph was to show the delta (change) between no spoiler and spoiler. I have updated the original post with a graph of no spoiler and spoiler on a stock FR-S to help with understanding the performance side a bit better; which is posted below.

That being said, from our experience in both CFD and wind tunnel testing, our high-efficiency rear wing does produce more downforce than the APR GT250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wavy View Post
Could you post CFD data for a stock car vs a car with this duckbill? The data you've posted seems like it might be with the rest of your aero parts including the wing, but I'm debating adding this to an otherwise stock car, and that data would be useful for many of us I think.
That is correct; the data was to show the delta between the spoiler and no spoiler with our Ventus 2 aero kit. I've added a comparison to an OE bodied car above in this comment as well as the first post.

Let us know if you have any other questions . I apologize for the confusion but we remade the graphs to hopefully clear up the questions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
PulsarBeeerz (05-08-2019), Takumi788 (05-08-2019), Yoshoobaroo (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #13
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post
Here are some added CFD images of the ducktail spoiler with our Ventus 2 package.

The FR-S/BRZ does not need vortex generators as the flow stays attached to the roof due to the shape of the car. Vortex generators work more on sedan type shapes to keep flow attached to the more dramatic ramp down of the rear glass on those body styles.

The ducktail would improve/compliment rear diffuser function.

We don't compare our products to other units on the market. However, I have added a graph with the OE BRZ spoiler in comparison on the first post and added below. Our spoiler produces more downforce and drag than the OE unit. This is expected though as it is more aggressive.

It will be attached via VHB 3M tape; which we have seen hold up to some very impressive loads at this point. The dive planes below have seen over 150MPH and are only attached with double-sided tape.

We do not have any paint matched photos currently.

The note on the graph stated the numbers were with our entire Ventus 2 aero kit. I have edited the original post to clarify this. The graph is with our entire Ventus 2 aero kit on the car. The graph was to show the delta (change) between no spoiler and spoiler. I have updated the original post with a graph of no spoiler and spoiler on a stock FR-S to help with understanding the performance side a bit better; which is posted below.

That being said, from our experience in both CFD and wind tunnel testing, our high-efficiency rear wing does produce more downforce than the APR GT250.

That is correct; the data was to show the delta between the spoiler and no spoiler with our Ventus 2 aero kit. I've added a comparison to an OE bodied car above in this comment as well as the first post.

Let us know if you have any other questions . I apologize for the confusion but we remade the graphs to hopefully clear up the questions.

Based on your own numbers, your entire aero kit produces less downforce than just a gt250 wing while producing an insane amount more drag.... didn’t a guy in 86cup Colorado go a full second slower at high plains with all your aero vs no aero at all? I couldn’t believe it but based on how much drag your parts create vs the downforce, I completely understand now.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #14
VerusEric

Quote:
Based on your own numbers, your entire aero kit produces less downforce than just a gt250 wing while producing an insane amount more drag.... didn’t a guy in 86cup Colorado go a full second slower at high plains with all your aero vs no aero at all? I couldn’t believe it but based on how much drag your parts create vs the downforce, I completely understand now.
You do realize you are comparing the drag from APR's wing only CFD (which we have found is not accurate but besides the point) to our entire car CFD? A vehicle produces lift, which our parts have to counteract. A vehicle will produce significantly more drag than a wing profile.

If you could please let me know who this person is or was; I'd greatly appreciate it. We have had the vast majority of our customers report back quicker and quicker times utilizing our parts. I have not heard anything from an 86 Cup guy in Colorado going slower beside this post here.
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
wparsons (12-04-2019)