follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #1
zippee

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
P119F P219A + out of warranty ?

Hi all I got the 119F 219A just a few days ago,
3yr warranty expired.

2017 50xxx km, bone stock, Chevron 94.
Informed Subaru HQ and dealership.

1) Has anyone gotten warranty even after warranty expired?
If so how?

2) What service done to resolve?
Old 12-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
davidsn_670

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You're out of the 3/36 but not the 5/60 warranty. Based on the codes it seems a ECM reprogramming is all it needs if all prerequisites are met. They could charge you for diag but not for the repair. Read up on the TSB I attached. Expect to drop off your vehicle if they do it right.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MC-10153613-9999-1.pdf (267.1 KB, 223 views)
davidsn_670 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidsn_670 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-18-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
TSB says to measure the valve clearance before reprogramming and if it's a 2017, it'll probably need shims, production changes took place in '18 I think, so the only ones that are reflash-only are the '19s.

Mine went through the process in late-ish 2019, it had started throwing the codes spring '18 and it took a while for Toyota to touch it without having their own version of the TSB published, which took a while. In the end it was engine out and 12 shims, lost the car for a month, but came out fine on the other end.

If yours DOES need shims, I don't think covid will have improved the supply chain for those parts...

I WISH it would have popped when out of warranty, that way I would have dealt with the mechanical side myself and just paid for the reflash. If shims are a few thousands tight, it's easy to clearance with a roloc instead of waiting weeks for parts, and I'm pretty sure it can be done in place with just the valve covers off insteat of lifting the cam carriers, leaving most of the engine factory fresh and sealed and being done with the issue in a weekend instead of a month.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
zippee

Thanks for chiming in with personal experience.
I guess when you had it done it was still a unfamiliar procedure which caused your delay.
I'm sure Subaru/Toyota would allow for in engine service were it possible since they were paying for warranty work. Upon looking at pictures of the shim it's not a simple shaped part that can just be sanded down. Not to mention sanding would create pores and weaken the metal.

I thought by buying a late year model i would have a more refined car but I guess there's still major issues.
I hope for just a re-flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
TSB says to measure the valve clearance before reprogramming and if it's a 2017, it'll probably need shims, production changes took place in '18 I think, so the only ones that are reflash-only are the '19s.

Mine went through the process in late-ish 2019, it had started throwing the codes spring '18 and it took a while for Toyota to touch it without having their own version of the TSB published, which took a while. In the end it was engine out and 12 shims, lost the car for a month, but came out fine on the other end.

If yours DOES need shims, I don't think covid will have improved the supply chain for those parts...

I WISH it would have popped when out of warranty, that way I would have dealt with the mechanical side myself and just paid for the reflash. If shims are a few thousands tight, it's easy to clearance with a roloc instead of waiting weeks for parts, and I'm pretty sure it can be done in place with just the valve covers off insteat of lifting the cam carriers, leaving most of the engine factory fresh and sealed and being done with the issue in a weekend instead of a month.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm sure Subaru/Toyota would allow for in engine service were it possible since they were paying for warranty work. Upon looking at pictures of the shim it's not a simple shaped part that can just be sanded down. Not to mention sanding would create pores and weaken the metal.
If it's possible to take rockers out without removing the cam carriers, then accessing the shims is also possible.

Also, valve stems are ground on a grinder

I'd take my chances at kissing a shim with a gentle roloc to turn a one-month job into a one-weekend job

Manufacturers are smart but they don't have all the answers. I was doing an engine R&R in a promaster city a few week ago. The shop manual calls for removing the engine from below with the transmission after removing the front subframe. I saved HOURS off of that job taking the engine only out through the top. Removing the intake manifold and pulleys is way faster than taking apart the entire front of the car, and it saved me from doing an alignment.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Spankopotomous (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 05:12 AM   #6
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Jist check car doesnt have intake or exhaust leak as that could cause those codes

Last edited by steve99; 12-21-2020 at 05:35 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 11:58 PM   #7
LunarStorm86

Drives: 2016 FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
idk about Subaru but Toyota actually covers the repair under the t-sb for 96 months or 80k miles. So if Subaru gives you any shit, ask why Toyota covers the same thing for longer.
LunarStorm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LunarStorm86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
nitro_alltrac

Drives: '17 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had this done on my car last year. So far, it's fixed the issue. They had to reshim one valve and did the ECU flash.

Print out the TSB and take it with you. That will give them a very good starting point. That's what I did.
nitro_alltrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #9
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
I believe I was one of the first people to have this issue as I purchased my 2017MY in August of 2016 and my car threw these codes at @ 5000 miles on the clock. Started hearing some weird sounds too. Dealer didn't even inform me of what happened, when I visited the dealership, my engine was already out of my car.. I was slightly pissed, but I was told they had to perform a valve adjustment.
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #10
zippee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_alltrac View Post
I had this done on my car last year. So far, it's fixed the issue. They had to reshim one valve and did the ECU flash.

Print out the TSB and take it with you. That will give them a very good starting point. That's what I did.

By now they're well aware of the TSB. What mileage was yours done at and did warranty cover the costs?
Old 01-08-2021, 11:38 PM   #11
zippee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsReiko View Post
I believe I was one of the first people to have this issue as I purchased my 2017MY in August of 2016 and my car threw these codes at @ 5000 miles on the clock. Started hearing some weird sounds too. Dealer didn't even inform me of what happened, when I visited the dealership, my engine was already out of my car.. I was slightly pissed, but I was told they had to perform a valve adjustment.

How many days did it take to get your car back?
Old 01-09-2021, 02:54 AM   #12
ItsReiko

Drives: 2017 subaru brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippee View Post
How many days did it take to get your car back?
It took 14 days for me to get my car back. The good side is that it's always fun to try out different Subaru models while the car is in the shop. I've been in enough times I believe I've driven the Crosstrek, Impreza and Outback at this point. They won't give me the Wrx though .
ItsReiko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ItsReiko For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2021, 12:32 AM   #13
Mykart

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been getting these codes about once a year until this month when they've come up twice already. I bought my car used from a dealership with apparently more work done than I had expected. I had to get the header replaced about three days after buying it (I believe it was aftermarket and was replaced with stock. I also found out a little while ago that the car has an ECUtek tune but I have no idea what the tune is.

Could the tune be a part of my issue or should I just assume its related to the TSB and take it in? This is my daily so I'm trying to avoid excessive down time/spending unnecessarily.
Mykart is offline   Reply With Quote