follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
johnmk
Fidei Defensor

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited - Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Startup: Loud metallic (rasp?) sound from middle/under of car, not from exhaust

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBqBxJQest0"]Metallic Startup Sound - YouTube[/ame]

Hi folks,

In the first minute of startup or so, I have a semi-loud metallic sound that comes from the middle of the car. I hear it every time I start up cold. The noise does NOT come out of the back of the exhaust. I get out and go to the back of the car, and I can tell it doesn't come out of the exhaust. When I get out of the door and drop to the ground to listen, it sounds like it's coming from the underside of the engine area. It sounds like some cheap ricer exhaust note but I just can't for the life of me understand why it wouldn't be coming out of the tail pipe?

I should add that I now have a turbocharger, PTUNING headers, and have had some issues with my setup. Here's a thread where the other stuff is discussed, including the small possibility of an exhaust leak.

Thank you for any input you can provide folks!

-Chad

Last edited by johnmk; 05-26-2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added link to the audio-video on Youtube
johnmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Post the link maybe?

It's OK, I remember that thread.

Likely case: You have a clearance issue. Exhaust components vibrate. One of them is hitting the front crossmember. They expand when hot, and either the clearance issue goes away, or it simply pushes up on the crossmember harder and turns into an inaudible rubbing issue.

Less likely: Your exhaust leak is getting real bad.

Take a video. It's hard to diagnose without hearing it.

Whoever did your tuning and install sounds like they made a f*cking mess of both.

On the Ptuning kit, the turbo sits behind the front crossmember, next to the transmission. This is where you describe the location of your noise.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
johnmk
Fidei Defensor

Oops! Here's the link:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105984
Old 05-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
johnmk
Fidei Defensor

I'll make a recording of the sound with my camcorder as soon as I can ensure a cold start.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,883 Times in 16,447 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmk View Post
Hi folks,

In the first minute of startup or so, I have a semi-loud metallic sound that comes from the middle of the car. I hear it every time I start up cold. .............

Thank you for any input you can provide folks!

-Chad
Well, if that was my car doing that, I reckon I'd put it up on jack stands and let it sit overnight. Then crawl underneath and have someone fire that puppy up.

Where is noise is coming from and what's making it, should be obvious.

Then I'd take it back to the dude that did your install and have him fix it.

OR

Get one of those old shade tree mechanics, that is retired over there in Sequim, to grab up some gasket material, gasket sealer, some bailing wire, a small crowbar and a big f _ _ _ _ _ _ hammer and fix it the old fashioned way ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
johnmk
Fidei Defensor

Here's a walk-around audio-video of the car during a cold startup. I should add that the noise isn't particularly well represented in this, it seems much louder and more obnoxious with human ears. My little camcorder can't do it justice. Also, the noise is present at other times too, at certain throttle/RPM positions I guess. It's not simply a cold start phenomenon but that is one easy way to make sure it happens.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBqBxJQest0"]Metallic Startup Sound - YouTube[/ame]

It's really unlike any sound I would expect out of my car given the reputation of the Perrin 2.5" resonated exhaust, and on top of that -- my turbocharger, which itself is a pretty good muffler.

Last edited by johnmk; 05-26-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
johnmk
Fidei Defensor

I apologize for bumping this but I'm really hoping to see some opinions, so I thought I'd bump it now that I have embedded a Youtube video in the opening post.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:52 AM   #8
humfrz

Quote:
I apologize for bumping this but I'm really hoping to see some opinions, so I thought I'd bump it now that I have embedded a Youtube video in the opening post.
Well now, johnmk ...... I can't hear on your video, what you're describing.

My recommendation as mentioned above, still stands ..... you're are going to have to get up close and personal with that sound, to peg it.

(if you haven't burnt your wrist or forearm ....... you haven't gotten close enough ..... )

humfrz
Old 05-27-2016, 02:09 AM   #9
johnmk
Fidei Defensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well now, johnmk ...... I can't hear on your video, what you're describing.

My recommendation as mentioned above, still stands ..... you're are going to have to get up close and personal with that sound, to peg it.

(if you haven't burnt your wrist or forearm ....... you haven't gotten close enough ..... )

humfrz
I appreciate your opinion ... and I'm pretty sure you need better speakers. I will of course keep trying to figure this out, and then I'll post back when I do. The installer/tuner listened to the video and said something sounds off, so I'm pretty sure that I'm on the right track here now.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:30 AM   #10
humfrz

Quote:
I appreciate your opinion ... and I'm pretty sure you need better speakers. I will of course keep trying to figure this out, and then I'll post back when I do. The installer/tuner listened to the video and said something sounds off, so I'm pretty sure that I'm on the right track here now.
There is NOTHING WRONG with my speakers ....... it's my EARS that don't work too good anymore......

Yep, after you get it sorted out ...... let us know what was causing the sound.

humfrz
Old 05-27-2016, 02:32 AM   #11
humfrz

Quote:
There is NOTHING WRONG with my speakers (so my wife says) ....... it's my EARS that don't work too good anymore......

Yep, after you get it sorted out ...... let us know what was causing the sound.

humfrz
Old 06-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
johnmk
Fidei Defensor

One last bump, I promise. Please if you have a moment, listen and tell me if you think I'm hearing nothing out of the ordinary.

Thank you!
Old 06-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #13
Norville Rogers
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I haven't laughed so much since my granny died.
Norville Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
humfrz

Quote:
One last bump, I promise. Please if you have a moment, listen and tell me if you think I'm hearing nothing out of the ordinary.

Thank you!
So, besides taking and posting a video, what have you done to try to figure out what is making the sound .......??

humfrz