follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
a110

Drives: Nissan Altima 3.5SE (for now)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is the FR-S right for me? AT or MT? Anyone want to help me decide?

So, I'm thinking about buying a used 2013 FR-S after the 2014 models come out. For a while I was having a tough time deciding between the FR-S or the BRZ...I think what finally sold me on the FR-S is actually the price to be honest. The only features that I would want that the BR-Z has that the FR-S lacks are the leather seats and push-button start (and the spoiler...I just like the look of it). Since those options are on the Limited trim only, that essentially adds around a $5k premium to the FR-S price. The way I figure it, if I really wanted leather and the spoiler, I can easily add both for $2.5k (if not less). Are there any other features from the BRZ that I might want in the FR-S that I may have missed? I've read that the nav/audio system in the BRZ is not very good, so I probably would have swapped that out with an aftermarket system anyway.

Now, for the second part of my dilemma...should I get an automatic or a manual transmission? I want to get a manual transmission for the heightened experience in driving the car, but I also admittedly have no idea what it's like to have a MT car. I learned to drive stick when I was 16, but I have not driven one since (I'm almost 30 now)...it's likely that I will be pretty rusty at it. Additionally, I'm moving to a different part of the country soon and the town that I will be living in is pretty hilly. Plus, I will have a 45-60 minute commute each way with a decent amount of stop and go traffic (with the stop and go part in the hilly areas). Gas mileage is very important to me, so I was concerned with the MPG difference between the manual and auto. Finally, my fiancée has never driven a MT and she will need to drive my car every so often. So while I want to get a MT, practicality is telling me that I should get an AT...I just want to make sure that I'm not going to regret whichever way I decide on. And if I do decide on a MT, what's the best way for us to learn how to drive it? I can only assume that trying to learn it on a (relatively) new FR-S is probably not a good idea, but unfortunately I don't actually know anyone in my area with a MT that we can practice on.

Actually, there is one last question...do many of you FR-S owners live in an area in which it snows? What do you do in the winter? I've never had a rear wheel drive car and this will be my daily driver. The new area has relatively mild winters in terms of snow, but I've heard that it can get icy. The ice plus the hilly topography make me a little nervous to be driving a rear wheel drive (and possibly MT) car for the first time in my life (in bad weather). Are snow tires good enough, or do most of you have different DD cars?

Sorry for the long post...I'm one of those people that researches everything obsessively before making a decision. Thanks for your help.
a110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
HotLava

Drives: Hot Lava 2013 FR-S Automatic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Read this entire thread. It will have the best information.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6485
HotLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Enraged21
#RememberTheBuster

Drives: Firestorm FRS MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a110 View Post
So, I'm thinking about buying a used 2013 FR-S after the 2014 models come out. For a while I was having a tough time deciding between the FR-S or the BRZ...I think what finally sold me on the FR-S is actually the price to be honest. The only features that I would want that the BR-Z has that the FR-S lacks are the leather seats and push-button start (and the spoiler...I just like the look of it). Since those options are on the Limited trim only, that essentially adds around a $5k premium to the FR-S price. The way I figure it, if I really wanted leather and the spoiler, I can easily add both for $2.5k (if not less). Are there any other features from the BRZ that I might want in the FR-S that I may have missed? I've read that the nav/audio system in the BRZ is not very good, so I probably would have swapped that out with an aftermarket system anyway.

Now, for the second part of my dilemma...should I get an automatic or a manual transmission? I want to get a manual transmission for the heightened experience in driving the car, but I also admittedly have no idea what it's like to have a MT car. I learned to drive stick when I was 16, but I have not driven one since (I'm almost 30 now)...it's likely that I will be pretty rusty at it. Additionally, I'm moving to a different part of the country soon and the town that I will be living in is pretty hilly. Plus, I will have a 45-60 minute commute each way with a decent amount of stop and go traffic (with the stop and go part in the hilly areas). Gas mileage is very important to me, so I was concerned with the MPG difference between the manual and auto. Finally, my fiancée has never driven a MT and she will need to drive my car every so often. So while I want to get a MT, practicality is telling me that I should get an AT...I just want to make sure that I'm not going to regret whichever way I decide on. And if I do decide on a MT, what's the best way for us to learn how to drive it? I can only assume that trying to learn it on a (relatively) new FR-S is probably not a good idea, but unfortunately I don't actually know anyone in my area with a MT that we can practice on.

Actually, there is one last question...do many of you FR-S owners live in an area in which it snows? What do you do in the winter? I've never had a rear wheel drive car and this will be my daily driver. The new area has relatively mild winters in terms of snow, but I've heard that it can get icy. The ice plus the hilly topography make me a little nervous to be driving a rear wheel drive (and possibly MT) car for the first time in my life (in bad weather). Are snow tires good enough, or do most of you have different DD cars?

Sorry for the long post...I'm one of those people that researches everything obsessively before making a decision. Thanks for your help.

The only thing I wish the FRS had that the BRZ has, is the HIDs. But a properly done DIY retrofit wouldn't cost you no more than $300.

The way it sounds to me, AT would be your best choice. I barely knew how to drive an MT before I got mine, but it only took me about 2 hrs to learn. Not hard at all. After I week I taught myself how to rev match.

If you're worried about gas mileage and the daily commute, I would end up getting the AT anyway. I hear it's still fun for what it is.

As for snowy weather, I have no clue since I live in FL. Mostly everybody just throws on snow tires and calls it a day. Some people store their babies in the garage for the summer and have another daily commuter during snowy weathers.

Just keep doing your research. I've watched every video and read every article. Plus I've been a member of these forums for about a year before I purchased my FRS. So I knew everything I needed to know.
Enraged21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
joop1987

Drives: 2013 FRS, Raven, Auto
I bought 2 snows tires and cheap steel rims from Tire Rack for the winter.

If the fr-s will be your daily car, and you drive in traffic every day, the auto works great.
joop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
HotLava

Drives: Hot Lava 2013 FR-S Automatic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The AT in this car doesn't detract from the fun you can have with it. The only thing you really can't do is 5000 RPM clutch drops. It's a very flexible platform. You can drive in Toyota Camry mode, go full manual and turn the nannies off, or leave it in auto but turn sport mode on; and you can shift with either the paddle shifters or the floor shifter, or you can downshift with the paddle shifter and upshift with the floor shifter, etc. It's really very flexible. I use multiple modes during my commute through Los Angeles each day. If you feel you have to "do" something with your right hand all the time, just keep it in manual mode all the time and use the floor shifter all the time to upshift and downshift.
HotLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
mike_ekim1024

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by a110 View Post

Hills, commute, fiancé, MPG, snow... I'm hearing AT. You'll get the most of the fun of an GT86, with some practicality. Yes, it is a sacrifice - you need to choose. The last car before my FR-S was a MT 350Z, and I don't miss it. I mostly put it in manual mode and drive it like it was a stick. If I drove the stick version first, it might have been a tougher choice, but mine was MPG, gf drivability, and just convenience. People are going to hate on AT but it's a choice
mike_ekim1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This car is best with MT for real MT mindset driver. Look to me you need an AT for your practically driving. With this car the AT w/ paddle and manual mode is way capable more than your need. You will be amazed w/ AT in SPORT MODE. I would say AT is much safer for your driving situation right now. Lastly, I think dealer now may allow you to take a test drive both cars for your final decision and you will see it clear. Go enjoy test drive
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I live in Canada and we get decent winters around here, a good set of winter tires (ice and snow, not sporty-winter) got me through last winter and several big snows with zero problems.

I hear you on the MT/AT thing with regards to the GF. All your other concerns will disappear shortly after you get back into the habit of driving manual. I tried to teach my GF on the FR-S and she even took lessons but she's still SO nervous about driving with a manual she gets all freaked out and hates driving the car as a result.

The AT is noticeably slower, but the transmission itself is quick and responsive, you could get some of the "pep" back by adding a shorter rear end, but that might affect mileage.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Get four high quality snow tire on a second set of rims. The reason is that if you buy two and hit a slippery patch you will have no control of the end that does not have the snow tires. I'll never make that stupid mistake again. The car handles very predictably in snow. The only thing you'll have to avoid is the deep stuff. Road clearance is less than 5".
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
A lot of people have been overcharging on previously loved FR-S, but, the 2014's aren't out yet, so, who knows.

Choosing between the FR-S and BRZ, price is a big factor, had Toyota brought the GT86 over to North America, it would have been a lot harder choice.

Choosing between an AT and a MT - had the AT sucked, then I would force myself to learn stick, but, based on your situation, it sounds similar enough to my own in that the AT provides a little more flexibility of shifting or not shifting. My wife doesn't know how to drive stick either and it is handy when I have had a few too many beverages to drive, she can drive instead. The AT also has a snow mode that will start you in 2nd gear and intervene more quickly on the traction control and stability control.

As to winter, it is my daily driver. A set of 4 snow tires is a must. This thing comes with summer tires (although some people are receiving so called "all season" Bridgestone Turanza EL-400's). The soft compound on summer tires will turn into hockey pucks on ice (not a good combination). I actually like the fact that the chassis is so communicative, I believe that I am a better driver in the winter. The only thing that I have run into with respect to winter is having a large dump of it. The FR-S only has 4.9" of ground clearance, so, if you get half a foot of snow, call in sick to work or drive another car. I have bottomed it out (thankfully I had a small shovel in the trunk). One last thing to consider with respect to snow is the amount of salt usage on the roads in your area. Some parts of the FR-S will corrode - expect it, deal with it, or make it a garage queen.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I owned an AT and hated not having the experience of a manual, so ended up trading it in for a manual and would not have it any other way. I do not commute though - if I had to commute in 60 minutes with stop and go traffic in hills, I probably would've stuck with my AT (or just bought a commuter..).

Either way I think you will be happy. AT more for the morning commutes, and MT more for canyon drives. Although I have to say my AT was almost as fun as my MT during the canyons, I just yearned for the stick + clutch pedal, especially putting around town. It sounds like for your uses I'd recommend the AT as it really is a great transmission and I never felt like it took much away from the car. It was fun keeping my hands on the wheel and cruising in traffic.

Like I said though, I'd have it no other way than the M/T but I feel for you an A/T might be a better choice. Think about all you want from a car - if you want an engaging sports car then I'd pick the M/T, but if you just want a sporty daily driver than you can't go wrong with the A/T really.
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Barbarian

Drives: Raven FR-S
I would drive both. It had been about 6 years since I had driven an MT before I test drove my current car and I was as rusty as the Titanic with it (I even stalled 3 times before moving the car at all). Within the day I was getting starts and stops with no issue on flats and downhills. The second day I went to a parking lot that sits on a hill and started and stopped on that until I had 20 smooth starts in a row. Now it's been two weeks and it's cake. My commute is 30 minutes all stop and go mostly uphill going to work and after a few days of it it's no big deal. My fiance didn't know how to drive a stick when we got the car and we're going over lessons on the weekends. So far she has conquered a high school parking lot on a Saturday morning and a not so busy neighborhood.

These videos helped a lot

basics:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGF0kEgFTvg"]Tutorial: How to drive a stick - BASICS on a 2006 Subaru WRX STi - YouTube[/ame]

hill starts:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ0-dGwpPMs"]Tutorial: How to drive a stick uphill on a 2006 Subaru WRX STi - YouTube[/ame]

Edit:

In the end it's up to you, but at least try both so you aren't thinking "what if" later on
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I'd buy the MT, you've never had one so your in for a hell of an experience.

Even though i own an Auto, i know what i'm missing and what i'm not.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBxtYWKdjo"]How to Drive Stick Shift and Rev Match in a BRZ! - YouTube[/ame]

There you go! Watched this 15mins before going to the dealership and picking up my FRS. I also wonder if this guy has an account on here.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote