follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
AEBRacing

Drives: Toyota FT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Throttle Controller with OFT

Hi guys! I am interesting to modify the trhottle response in order to Increase its speed.

In the market there are many alternative electronic throttle controller external module to modify the trhottle sensitivity (9 DRIVE, PEDAL COMMANDER, SPRINT BOOSTER, etc)

but I am looking for a OFT (Open Flash Tablet) to remap my ECU so my question is if I can modify the throttle response throught the OFT and avoid to spend in an external module?

In case of yes, do you know if the diferent stage pre-recordered in the OFT (eg Stage 1, Stage 2+, etc) includes the faster trhottle response?
AEBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:51 AM   #2
aznchris

Drives: Scion 86 tS
Don't bother getting those Pedal Commander things.

I checked the OFT tunes and my stock tune and they look bout the same. But yes, you can tune your throttle pedal with OFT if you know how to do it yourself. It doesn't make your car faster. It only gives you same power for less work if that makes sense.
aznchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:11 AM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
throttle response is a bit different thing then what i guess you meant with that term and what you expect from tune or those "controllers". It's more about how responsive actual engine follows your throttle pedal inputs, with how little lag rpms pick-up or fall off after pedal presses, and there is not much one can do, except going lightened flywheel, individual throttle bodies, larger MAF bodies and so on.. which cost a lot, doesn't actually net much performance and need very custom ecu tune to work with.

As to what you probably meant with - throttle pedal mapping, how tune decides how much to tell electronic throttle to open at what gas pedal travel, yes, that can be changed in ecu tune. Just that .. it doesn't net you actual performance. And stock tune already is a bit like that, increasing actual throttle opening quicker in initial part of gas pedal travel, while in other half it just stays wide open, while that part of travel also could have been used for gradual control otherwise. It fools a bit driver as if one has more powerful/larger displacement engine .. but it also robs one of fine control of partial throttle, hence why some sometimes decide to do opposite, to map gas pedal to more linear. I guess, all those pedal modules do same thing what's possible in tune, but simply by modifying gas pedal supplied input, but then again i don't think it's worth to do even more what's there is already in stock tune, compressing whole throttle actual movement into first 30% travel of gas pedal .. i highly doubt you want that much to make car much harder to handle for increasing effect of fooling oneself of power that's not there. If you want full engine performance, floor it. That doesn't change if you have those "controllers" or not. But if you cruise around with partial throttle alongside traffic or balancing gas mid-corner on track, better to still have control.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #4
AEBRacing

Thanks a lot for your comments!!
Old 09-17-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
i had a pedal commander, it was kinda of cool, but i didn't really use it much tbh. you do get 36 different sensitivity settings to play with and change on the fly whenever you want. So you can cruise around in city mode and then switch to sport or sport+ mode on the fly. It did make it seem like it was more responsive even when flooring it with vs without like going 10% throttle to 100% the transition was quicker but hard to tell. Supposedly it decrease throttle input delay not just remapping input % vs opening position but who knows. Sold it when i went FI as i didn't need greater throttle response with that. Probably wouldn't buy it again if i was NA but it was still kind of fun for a little bit.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #6
AEBRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
i had a pedal commander, it was kinda of cool, but i didn't really use it much tbh. you do get 36 different sensitivity settings to play with and change on the fly whenever you want. So you can cruise around in city mode and then switch to sport or sport+ mode on the fly. It did make it seem like it was more responsive even when flooring it with vs without like going 10% throttle to 100% the transition was quicker but hard to tell. Supposedly it decrease throttle input delay not just remapping input % vs opening position but who knows. Sold it when i went FI as i didn't need greater throttle response with that. Probably wouldn't buy it again if i was NA but it was still kind of fun for a little bit.
Thanks, good review!!!