follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #15
Skyhawk5247

Drives: 2018 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Just remove it. The weight reduction will be the same as gaining .000001 HP!
Remove it how?? I'm very new to cars.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Skyhawk5247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:48 AM   #16
Skyhawk5247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I really wanted this when they were first working on it but sadly only works with cars with electronic dual climate controls. They never found a solution for the standard climate controls.
Right?! Came across that video yesterday then realized I can't pull it off

Old 09-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #17
Skyhawk5247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Ok, that's cooler
I wish! Came across that video yesterday but it only applies to dual climate controlled brz's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post

I wish! Came across that video yesterday but it only applies to dual climate controlled brz's.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #18
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk5247 View Post
I think @Tcoat was mostly yanking your chain, but if you wanted to remove it it wouldn't be that difficult. You'd have to find a blank to refill the hole, or if you unplug it from the back it just wouldn't light up (it would look like the car does when the key is off).

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:09 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I was sort of joking but if you really want to remove it it isn't to difficult.
Start by picking up a cheap set of trim removal tools. https://www.amazon.ca/Removal-Source...25930922&psc=1

Then follow the instructions in the repair manual here: https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal..._rm_index.html

The bigger question would be what to put in it's place. I doubt anybody makes anything but maybe somebody could cobble up a cubby.

Oh the link only takes you to the index so go here:
Attached Images

Dzmitry (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #20
Skyhawk5247

Quote:
I was sort of joking but if you really want to remove it it isn't to difficult.

Start by picking up a cheap set of trim removal tools. https://www.amazon.ca/Removal-Source...25930922&psc=1

Then follow the instructions in the repair manual here: https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal..._rm_index.html

The bigger question would be what to put in it's place. I doubt anybody makes anything but maybe somebody could cobble up a cubby.

Oh the link only takes you to the index so go here:
Hahah im so new to this I don't even get sarcasm

I'm also looking at doing a head unit swap and the videos I've seen involve (what I thought was) a screwdriver being used to pop off trim. Is that not recommended?

The Following User Says Thank You to Skyhawk5247 For This Useful Post:
sato (09-27-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hahah im so new to this I don't even get sarcasm

I'm also looking at doing a head unit swap and the videos I've seen involve (what I thought was) a screwdriver being used to pop off trim. Is that not recommended?

Read the service manual instructions I linked. If doing trim work the tools are invaluable. Makes it 100X easier and doesn't leave marks. The clips are not designed to be pried out with a screwdriver no matter how easy a video makes it look.
Dadhawk (09-18-2020), JesseG (09-24-2020), Ultramaroon (09-21-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #22
Skyhawk5247

Quote:
Read the service manual instructions I linked. If doing trim work the tools are invaluable. Makes it 100X easier and doesn't leave marks. The clips are not designed to be pried out with a screwdriver no matter how easy a video makes it look.
Ahh i see. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Skyhawk5247 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-18-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #23
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
There's a bunch. Can pop up some good ones on Amazon with high reviews. I saw this earlier and thought it was pretty neat and inexpensive.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141515

And I love that clock, easiest adjustable clock ever, works like a charm.

I really like the old school Toyota clocks. It gets ripped on in every single review of a Toyota product, and I love it. It’s funny to see journalists get triggered by it.

I think they are finally getting rid of my beloved 80’s style lcd clocks. There is a reason Toyota and Lexus always finish near the top of quality and reliability ratings. They use stuff that works, and stick with it. I also like the stock Pioneer head unit. I’m easy to please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-25-2020), Dadhawk (09-25-2020), Dzmitry (09-25-2020), soundman98 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 07:06 PM   #24
Skyhawk5247

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I really like the old school Toyota clocks. It gets ripped on in every single review of a Toyota product, and I love it. It’s funny to see journalists get triggered by it.

I think they are finally getting rid of my beloved 80’s style lcd clocks. There is a reason Toyota and Lexus always finish near the top of quality and reliability ratings. They use stuff that works, and stick with it. I also like the stock Pioneer head unit. I’m easy to please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its starting to grow on me (the clock). The Pioneer unit has to go for 2 reasons IMO.

1. It doesn't play well with Amazon Prime Music
2. I don't have Android Auto and I would love to have my GPS directions on the head unit for visuals instead of having to find a place to mount my phone where its not too much of a pain lol.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #25
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The clock is integrated with your hazard light switch and passenger airbag indicator. This piece snaps into the bezel that houses the A/C controls and has a single connector to the wiring harness for all three functions.

I bought an extra one and opened it up to see what was inside. There's a single board that has all three functions soldered to it. If you try to replace the clock, you'll have to either lose your hazard lights or work out relocating either the switch or the board.

You have to take out a lot more than you realize to get to it. The center console between the seats has to come out before you can even access the side panels to get behind it. If you try to skip steps and pry out the side panels or the A/C bezel, you will break them.

I have a JPI digital oil pressure gauge from an airplane that would fit perfectly in place of the clock and a remote face for my Valentine 1 radar detector that would slip in place of the airbag lights. I was trying to work out how to keep the existing hazard switch between them, but I lost interest. It's one of those projects that has been in a box for five years now that I'll probably never get around to finishing.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #26
Skyhawk5247

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The clock is integrated with your hazard light switch and passenger airbag indicator. This piece snaps into the bezel that houses the A/C controls and has a single connector to the wiring harness for all three functions.

I bought an extra one and opened it up to see what was inside. There's a single board that has all three functions soldered to it. If you try to replace the clock, you'll have to either lose your hazard lights or work out relocating either the switch or the board.

You have to take out a lot more than you realize to get to it. The center console between the seats has to come out before you can even access the side panels to get behind it. If you try to skip steps and pry out the side panels or the A/C bezel, you will break them.

I have a JPI digital oil pressure gauge from an airplane that would fit perfectly in place of the clock and a remote face for my Valentine 1 radar detector that would slip in place of the airbag lights. I was trying to work out how to keep the existing hazard switch between them, but I lost interest. It's one of those projects that has been in a box for five years now that I'll probably never get around to finishing.
As a pilot, I fully appreciate your JPI gage! With the passenger air bag, that wouldn't be a bad idea to get rid of the light for it if that would also kill the sensor? I had my cell phone in the passenger seat and it kept thinking that there was someone sitting in it and losing its mind