follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #29
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
SpecD's don't come with lights. That's why they're so cheap. You have to provide your own. From what info I've gathered their quality control is hit or miss. Haven't heard the same from Morimoto or Intec, at least with regards to headlights
Reasons why I haven't purchased any of these cheaper headlights. Too many stories of peeling/hazing within a year. Issues with the high beam actuators and subpar optics on projector.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:50 AM   #30
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
to dispel any confusion, these are exactly the same as the intecs but they cost $600 less. damn I paid a $600 early adopter fee

http://www.subispeed.com/2013-subaru...6#.Wv5pA0gvy-Y
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #31
Rican_D

Quote:
to dispel any confusion, these are exactly the same as the intecs but they cost $600 less. damn I paid a $600 early adopter fee

These aren't the original intecs. These are a version 2.

This is off ft86speedfactory listing for the original intecs: / 86

Be the first to review this product

$1,399.95

SKU:*intec-usdm-led-hl

Discontinued - *Newer Version Available

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/inte...l#.WwLJTmgpD3A

Old 05-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #32
NRXRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
These aren't the original intecs. These are a version 2.

This is off ft86speedfactory listing for the original intecs: / 86

Be the first to review this product

$1,399.95

SKU:*intec-usdm-led-hl

Discontinued - *Newer Version Available

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/inte...l#.WwLJTmgpD3A

except they look exactly alike. the drl bar, the projector/parabolic led headlight combo, sequential indicators, everything looks the same except the price
Old 05-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #33
Rican_D

Quote:
except they look exactly alike. the drl bar, the projector/parabolic led headlight combo, sequential indicators, everything looks the same except the price
It is the same setup, but if you look at them closely there are differences. The projector is different, the DRL strip is also different, and these new ones are gloss black. They are not exactly the same, like I said they seem to be a second generation.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #34
Aipex8

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
It is the same setup, but if you look at them closely there are differences. The projector is different, the DRL strip is also different, and these new ones are gloss black. They are not exactly the same, like I said they seem to be a second generation.

Also, the Morimoto uses a single projector instead of the stacked projectors both Intec and FT86SF use.
Aipex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #35
NRXRaptor

Quote:

projector is the same. drl strip is the same. maybe look on a computer instead of your phone, but its the same. in the video its different but on subispeed's product page its stacked like before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aipex8 View Post
Also, the Morimoto uses a single projector instead of the stacked projectors both Intec and FT86SF use.
no, they're stacked on subispeed's site. it could be they didn't bother to update the pictures, but their pictures don't line up with the video that started this thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:34 PM   #36
Rican_D

Quote:
projector is the same. drl strip is the same. maybe look on a computer instead of your phone, but its the same. in the video its different but on subispeed's product page its stacked like before

no, they're stacked on subispeed's site. it could be they didn't bother to update the pictures, but their pictures don't line up with the video that started this thread

I see your obsessed in being correct. They are not the exact same lights as before.

Morimoto: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/sc...ect_restrict=1

Subispeed which has the old intec picture they haven't updated:
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft86...l#.WwTgK2gpD3B

Now look at this video from ft86speedfactory which shows the new design that looks exactly like the morimoto video originally posted

I don't know what you are looking at, but I see different lights.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:59 PM   #37
NRXRaptor

Quote:
I see your obsessed in being correct. They are not the exact same lights as before.

Morimoto: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/sc...ect_restrict=1

Subispeed which has the old intec picture they haven't updated:
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft86...l#.WwTgK2gpD3B

Now look at this video from ft86speedfactory which shows the new design that looks exactly like the morimoto video originally posted

I don't know what you are looking at, but I see different lights.

I already told you what I'm looking at and you confirmed: the pics on their site don't match the video. All you did was post a link to their site with out of date pictures that - in contrast with the description - showed there was no change other than the $600 price drop. Maybe you should have linked the video to be more clear
Old 05-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #38
Rican_D

Quote:
I already told you what I'm looking at and you confirmed: the pics on their site don't match the video. All you did was post a link to their site with out of date pictures that - in contrast with the description - showed there was no change other than the $600 price drop. Maybe you should have linked the video to be more clear
The link I put was to show the part where they wrote "discontinued, newer version available" that's why I copied and pasted the text above the link. The link I put was the listing for the original intecs as I stated in that post.

Last edited by Rican_D; 05-24-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #39
Rican_D

Aight so, I ordered the headlights from TRS with an original mid-June availability. I contacted them and they are saying September timeframe, even though their site says August. Now FT86SF is listing theirs "in stock". Kind of weird they've received batches of these lights and TRS is still waiting. Now on TRS YouTube video of the lights they say that theirs are morimoto branded. I guess morimoto sources their stuff from coplus? Anyone order theirs from FT86SF yet?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #40
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Aight so, I ordered the headlights from TRS with an original mid-June availability. I contacted them and they are saying September timeframe, even though their site says August. Now FT86SF is listing theirs "in stock". Kind of weird they've received batches of these lights and TRS is still waiting. Now on TRS YouTube video of the lights they say that theirs are morimoto branded. I guess morimoto sources their stuff from coplus?

So I did some digging because this kind of supplier stuff gets me interested.

Apparently a proportion of their products are made by coplus in taiwan, but they are checking the quality and still offering their own in house warranty on everything so I guess you don't lose much

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597415373

The second post I found seems like a fake/random irate dude on an F150 forum so it seems confusing:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/morim...2/#post5685826

But they are partially using coplus as a supplier it seems
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (07-24-2018), Rican_D (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #41
Rican_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
So I did some digging because this kind of supplier stuff gets me interested.

Apparently a proportion of their products are made by coplus in taiwan, but they are checking the quality and still offering their own in house warranty on everything so I guess you don't lose much

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597415373

The second post I found seems like a fake/random irate dude on an F150 forum so it seems confusing:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/morim...2/#post5685826

But they are partially using coplus as a supplier it seems
Damn, I'll give you credit. You really did some digging! So is it possible that morimoto sourced the housing and are using their own internals? Would be interesting

Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 AM   #42
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Damn, I'll give you credit. You really did some digging! So is it possible that morimoto sourced the housing and are using their own internals? Would be interesting

It's not all of there stuff but some, if they explicitly say anywhere that things are done in house then I wouldn't doubt they are, they have some awesome retrofit stuff.

As for the housing I think coplus is fully responsible for it and the LEDs and other internals each individual company makes there own tweaks too. I'm looking at these for a replacement to my winjets and they seem worthy as the projector housings are most likely designed for HID/LEDs and don't have a bad pattern
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (07-24-2018)