follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Old Today, 07:37 AM   #75867
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 93,521 Times in 41,099 Posts
Mentioned: 2279 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
So Iím at Costco. I had just parked and was standing in front of my car. Noticed a Tesla slowly crawling and starting to turn into what I thought was the next spot over. Realized it was turning too wide and would possibly hit my car.

I tried to look inside to get the drivers attention.

But guess what? Nobody was inside! The owner had used the stupid beta feature where you can ďcallĒ the car to pick you up, and he was walking around the next row of spots... so finally it stopped in front of my car and started backing up back into what I think was the space it was originally parked in.

I see the owner walking toward it. I told him his car almost hit mine and he needs to be careful because thatís a beta feature and this is a busy parking lot. And all he said was ďit saw you and your car on its camera!Ē, then got in and left.

FFS. Iíve seen kids around Costco lots with their families, what if I had one that I was waiting on to get out of the passenger seat and as itís coming toward me the Tesla accidentally plows through it??
I would have said the same thing to you. There is a mile of difference between "almost" hitting and hitting. From a different perspective the fact that it came close but did NOT hit the car is proof of the system. It also would not run over small children, bunnies, open car doors or any other obstacle. It will react faster than even a person would.
Yes, it plays with your mind when you see a car moving without a driver but there are millions of miles behind the tech and the incident rate is lower than the same miles with a human behind the wheel. You are young so you may as well get used to the idea that this is on the way.
I personally would trust that autonomous car backing toward me more that a soccer mom with a van full of kids, some young girl more concerned about their cell phone or the very worst case scenario, some old guy in a Saturn!
Dadhawk (Today)
Old Today, 09:16 AM   #75868
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 17,437 Times in 8,242 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
So I have a bunch of books I want to not take with me when I move. The local used book store is only buying/taking two used books at a time due to COVID _and_ they want you to call ahead to even confirm they'd be interested in those books.

And as far as I can tell, public libraries are still mostly closed and may not be taking book donations.

So I think I need to just man up and start tossing books .
I believe Goodwill and Salvation Army will take books, but not text books. You could check with a local homeless or women's shelter as well.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:19 AM   #75869
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 93,521 Times in 41,099 Posts
Mentioned: 2279 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I believe Goodwill and Salvation Army will take books, but not text books. You could check with a local homeless or women's shelter as well.
I discovered this when cleaning out a closet and finding a huge box of my son's marketing textbooks. Nobody wanted them anywhere. I even tried to put them in the recycling bin and the driver just put a note on it that they were unacceptable for that due to the type of paper. Ended up just putting a couple in the garbage each week until they were gone.

I did keep my books for a while since topics such as Industrial Hygiene had loads of reference charts and such but as the internet grew I used them less and less and left them at my last employer when I moved on 10 years ago.
Dadhawk (Today)
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #75870
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 5,508 Times in 2,604 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Looking at either around 35-40K in capital gains tax, or I do a 1031 "Like-Kind" exchange and buy another investment property and rent it out for a year before making it my primary residence.

Not really happy with either option but there is no way I am giving those bastards that much money in taxes.

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, touch me, trackmyfarts, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis