follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #71
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaitoguru View Post
It’s a good way to show self expression. And you can expect to gain clout from it and attention.
So, this is where your opinion differs from the majority, who don't think it's a good way to show self expression. What are you hoping to express with a face tattoo - what's the message?
You'll definitely gain attention from it (mostly negative).
In what situation would you gain clout from it? From most perspectives, you stand to lose clout in most business or job environments.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 PM   #72
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
But look back 800 years ago and the leaders of civilizations had markings and tattoos all over their bodies including their faces. I’m just saying. Don’t judge a book by its cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And if we were having this conversation 800 years ago you'd have made a valid argument.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #73
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
Jesus would totally get a tat

And Jesus was totally a super-white dude who looks like Jon Bon Jovi.

Quote:
I just think it’s stupid. I don’t believe in god but per the Bible via revelations Jesus has two tattoos on his legs. I mean if the holy man himself has tattoos then it shouldn’t matter.
Not likely. Jesus, if he existed, was a Jew who followed Jewish laws that expressly forbid tattoos.

Quote:
It’s a good way to show self expression. And you can expect to gain clout from it and attention.
You'll gain clout on the street I guess. You'll lose clout anywhere else. You'll get attention too, but probably not the kind you want.

Quote:
But look back 800 years ago and the leaders of civilizations had markings and tattoos all over their bodies including their faces. I’m just saying. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
Nobody is saying there's something mystically evil about tattoos. In American mainstream culture, a face tattoo is seen as expressing an "I don't give a fuck about your social norms, and fuck you" attitude. A face tattoo says to most people, "I've been in prison and I'm a bit proud of that fact". If those are the messages you want to send, go ahead and send them then face the consequences, good and bad. You probably already get some looks and crap for your stretched ears. Multiply that negativity by at least 10 if not 100 times or more.

But if you're working in a dive bar or tattoo parlor, a face tattoo is cool.

Last edited by EAGLE5; 04-21-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Increased awesomeness
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #74
Howaitoguru

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post

Not likely. Jesus, if he existed, was a Jew who followed Jewish laws that expressly forbid tattoos.

You'll gain clout on the street I guess. You'll lose clout anywhere else. You'll get attention too, but probably not the kind you want.

Nobody is saying there's something mystically evil about tattoos. In American mainstream culture, a face tattoo is seen as expressing an "I don't give a fuck about your social norms, and fuck you" attitude. A face tattoo says to most people, "I've been in prison and I'm a bit proud of that fact". If those are the messages you want to send, go ahead and send them then face the consequences, good and bad. You probably already get some looks and crap for your stretched ears. Multiply that negativity by at least 10 if not 100 times or more.

But if you're working in a dive bar or tattoo parlor, a face tattoo is cool.

Nah I just work on fixing people’s electrical problems and I bring light like a god to pretty much anywhere. I feel like my case could be different because electricity is foreign to 90% of Americans.

Howaitoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #75
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

And spoke English.
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (04-21-2019), Tcoat (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #76
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yes and the average life expediency was around 30 years, plague was real, 95% of the population lived in hovels and you stood a great chance of being murdered by an invading horde just about anyplace. In fact it was the very few civilizations that that tattooed their faces that were the most likely to be invading and murdering. Probably why face tattoos went out of style when one of their main purposes was to scare the shit out of the enemies.
Dadhawk (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #77
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
And spoke English.
I wonder what all the white racist and bigot Christians would think if they actually met the real "dude", would they still be racists and bigots after seeing their superhero was a dark skinned bearded dude from the middle east?

Disclaimer: I'm a white guy who does not believe in fairytales, but I support your right to believe whatever the hell you want as long as it doesn't cause harm to anyone.
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:32 AM   #78
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This is a @humfrz "back in the day" story. During my teens I was at a school that was slowly slipping down the ratings.. (nothing to do with me! Honest!!).

Racism was growing, 2Tone Ska at its peak etc.. Anyway, a very smart kid (excelled in all subjects including art), we (students and teachers) could see he will go places, nice job, nice house, a nice wife, 2.4 kids etc... Well, he went down the path that we least expected!! Hanging about with skinheads and generally getting very abnoxious!! One day he comes into school supporting a tattoo on his forehead.. a effing swastika!! Found the path down the 'road to nowhere'..

Talk about throwing your opportunities down the drain!!!

End of story.. no idea what happened to him and his skinhead mates... Actually, one of them joined the army, lost his racists views..

Last edited by JD001; 04-22-2019 at 12:45 PM.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #79
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a big fan of black Jesus as a concept, but hypothetical historical Jesus was probably an olive-skinned Mediterranean/north African guy, not a darker central/south African. We can all be fairly certain that Jesus was not some Scottish Highlander.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #80
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm a big fan of black Jesus as a concept, but hypothetical historical Jesus was probably an olive-skinned Mediterranean/north African guy, not a darker central/south African. We can all be fairly certain that Jesus was not some Scottish Highlander.
Well... Maybe....

Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #81
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know, unless his mum was lighter skinned, but his dad was definitely pretty dark skinned.
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #82
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
I wonder what all the white racist and bigot Christians would think if they actually met the real "dude", would they still be racists and bigots after seeing their superhero was a dark skinned bearded dude from the middle east?

Disclaimer: I'm a white guy who does not believe in fairytales, but I support your right to believe whatever the hell you want as long as it doesn't cause harm to anyone.
At the time Jesus was "born" (if we concede a historical person) the region had been conquered by the Greeks, Persians, Romans and half a dozen smaller groups from various other areas. Since Judaism is a religion not a "race" it would be hard to tell exactly what the population of the time would have looked like with all the intermingling that was going on. Could have been Caucasian right up to black but probably was someplace in between. The population of the areas are still varied today with a predominance of olive skin and dark hair since the last wholesale takeover was by the Ottoman empire but that could be very differ 2,000 years ago.

What he most certainly did NOT look like was Chad Kroeger!

Dadhawk (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #83
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I like to think he looked like this.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Howaitoguru (04-22-2019)