follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
clutch Engagement Issue?

Hey guys, so after roughly 800-900km I started slowly having this issue.
its been more present last few drives and after a 300km in the mountains its a lot noticeable.

when coasting in any gear and applying throttle its like theres play in the tranny and it makes somewhat of a clunking sound and you can slightly feel it as well. However the problem is still there when clutching in and releasing in neutral.
If i clutch in and release you can feel the engagement between clutch and flywheel, well i guess i should say you can hear it, only time you feel it is when coasting in gear or shifting and you feel a slight jerk, initially i thought there was play in the drive shaft but ive looked over that and its fine.'also ruled out the differential as the problem is present when parked.

in my mind some of this makes sense as the transmission is not spinning with out the clutch engaged, however at the same time it just doesn't feel right.

has anyone else noticed this? I was a mechanic for 6 1/2 years and I fully understand mechanical aspect. Still every car is different and before i take it back to deal just want to confirm its just me and not just something this car does. Really its tempting for me to throw the car on the lift and start trouble shooting but since i no longer work at the shop its not that easy and i haven't had the time, Im going to swing by tmr after work to fully check for mechanical failure and fluid levels but the symptom based on my experience seems internal(as in inside the transmission/clutch) rather than a failed external part.

I have a brief video of my car (cold start) with me engaging and disengaging the clutch, you can clearly hear the sound im speaking of.

let me know what you think!

cheers

P.S you can see it drop the idle down as well, and problem is still present even after the cars completely warm. ( after a long drive)
the clutch was babied during break in, I still have not launched the car in any way, but have WOT burned threw 1-4 gears
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bu-Tang For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (07-11-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Fish

Drives: 2015 Yuzu RS1.0 Scion FR-S #893
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've heard a similar clunk in my car but I only hear it when I'm at a dead stop and I'm kicking the clutch. But the car drives fine and I've heard similar noises in other cars so I've just ignored it.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fish For This Useful Post:
hernanBRZ (12-26-2016)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Rossman

Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm no mechanic but that's a bit of a concerning sound, to me.
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
I'm no mechanic but that's a bit of a concerning sound, to me.
Doesn't sound right to me, but also not a mechanic.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gen For This Useful Post:
Mo707 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
There's a noticeable clunk when putting the tranny in 1st or 2nd at low speeds/stopped. It's been commented on before as simply the momentum of a moving part coming to a sudden stop. I'm not sure of the terms or specific parts as I'm actually not very knowledgeable about how transmissions work but after reading the explanation I was able to visualize what was occurring. It causes not damage and I'm not worried about it. As a matter of fact I actually find it somewhat reassuring to hear/feel the gear engage.

This may not be what you are experiencing. I don't think I've felt or heard this when the vehicle is really moving.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
My car does not do this.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
Bu-Tang

I just hate taking my car to dealerships, you never know how experienced the tech will be, the more ive thought about it the more I realize its not normal. I get the feeling there wasn't enough tranny fluid. it does drive fine when going. luckily I have a buddy thats a tech @ the dealership i bought my car from so he can at least tell me the straight truth to what they find.

again, if this car wasn't under warranty I would possibly have had the tranny off by now lol. Cant sleep knowing this problem is there. Top it all off I got a decent rock chip on the windshield and barley escaped a hail storm in the mountains this weekend.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
There's a noticeable clunk when putting the tranny in 1st or 2nd at low speeds/stopped. It's been commented on before as simply the momentum of a moving part coming to a sudden stop.
It looks like he steps out of the car and pushes the clutch by hand...therefore not in gear, but neutral. It's thunking every time he presses the clutch. I heard a louder thunk pushing in, a lesser audible thunk lifting off the clutch
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I've never heard of this noise from any car. If my car always makes this noise, I would get it checked ASAP.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Take it to the dealer ASAP. You could have a clutch fluid problem.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tripjammer For This Useful Post:
00vsmcoupe (03-18-2015)
Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Lytheum

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
figure out what this is? pulled in the garage today with my windows down and notice i get a clicking sound when letting up the clutch in neutral. i know the thud sound putting it in first and its not that.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
YukiHachiRoku
Lex Luger

Drives: 2004 GS430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I watched your video and thought my car made some wierd noises, but I have not had anything like you are experiencing.

Take it to the dealer, and let the warranty have you be worry free.
YukiHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Lytheum

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
i made a video of my car. it sounds exactly the same. it also does the rpm drop, but only when its at high idle from a cold start. drops maybe 50rpm...it does not seem to move the tach when the car is at warm idle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMwnf0QeIS0"]2013 Subaru BRZ clutch click/clunk - YouTube[/ame]
sato (10-18-2016)
Old 07-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #14
Bu-Tang

I took it in last week, They went as far a ripping the tranny out and doing a full inspection on Clutch, flywheel and tranny. Everything seemed fine, diff was checked as well and drive shaft. so they gave me the car back and said take it back in a few weeks.

interesting info, Went over to a buddies shop and tested his 2010 STI, same sound when releasing clutch @ idle. thing is in my tranny I can feel that same clunk shifting to every gear. you and feel theres play in the tranny everytime the load comes off and is reapplied.

regardless my buddies a tech @ the dealer and hes been helping all tho he was not assigned the workorder. Chances are im getting a new tranny and will see if that was indeed the issue. If not than ill accept that its a subaru thing?

its funny cause the idea of it bothers me more than anything, if this does turn out to be a normal thing I would be fine with it, its not knowing what it could be that bugs me.