follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2023, 03:06 AM   #1
mkootayy

Drives: 2013 subaru brz black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
is RockAuto good- clutch & material?

Hello, I was looking to getting a new clutch because I'm experiencing a hard 1st-2nd gear shift, transmission has worn of course, but; I had found some parts on RockAuto parts, theres a clutch kit in mind for roughly $260 and one for $340, which is better?; Ceramic or Steelback? There's some cheaper ones for $150-$200 market, has me thinking, worth it huh? picking up other small items like TPMS sensors, alignment bolt & plate, shifter bushing. Just wanted more perspectives, let me know please what you all would think.
mkootayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 11:18 AM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Just pay attention to the brand you are buying and the specifications. They sell all types of brands, so asking if "Rockauto" is good is really vague.

Like this kit is basically the stock clutch. Exedy makes our OEM clutches. They sell LuK, Exedy and Asin, all known good brands. They also show M-Pact but I don't know anything about them.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...GOyJKraOldbJeX

Last edited by NoHaveMSG; 03-15-2023 at 11:43 AM.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-15-2023), Wally86 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 12:39 PM   #3
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,195 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
imo the best place to get the OEM Exedy is Autozone, they usually have a 20% + free shipping discount going.

https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/...005/820584_0_0

Current code: MARCHSAVINGS

Price is like $215 plus tax right now, I've bought two of these kits from them in the last couple of years without a problem. I do buy an OEM Subaru TOB though, no idea if it is actually different or not.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:27 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Never mind sourcing parts, OP. Let's talk about how a stubborn 1-2 shift points to a bad clutch.

Unless something relevant has been left out of the story, I'm saying it doesn't.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:34 AM   #5
mkootayy

Drives: 2013 subaru brz black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Never mind sourcing parts, OP. Let's talk about how a stubborn 1-2 shift points to a bad clutch.

Unless something relevant has been left out of the story, I'm saying it doesn't.
im gonna adjust the grab point, im thinking a bad bearing but its bearable (pun intended, not!) may bleed and fill the clutch fluid system too. I'll replace the throwout bearing, !!ADDED INFO downshifting to 5th I clutch in, out of 6th to neutral, put pressure against 5th then itll go in after a brief pause. otherwise it'll grind. I'm gonna re-replace the transmission oil to check for metal bits. transmission will whirr when cornering in some gears. realizing theres no point in checking for TOB Itll be replaced with clutch, pressure plate AND? flywheel and both bearings? I realize I should added more context in which parts in question sorry users. Trying to differentiate replacement of clutch vs transmission or find an order. Would there be an interest in replacing the shift bushing?

Also experiencing Vibration in the Transmission System pointing to a need to replace pressure plate?
mkootayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 02:51 AM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkootayy View Post
im gonna adjust the grab point, im thinking a bad bearing but its bearable (pun intended, not!) may bleed and fill the clutch fluid system too. I'll replace the throwout bearing, !!ADDED INFO downshifting to 5th I clutch in, out of 6th to neutral, put pressure against 5th then itll go in after a brief pause. otherwise it'll grind. I'm gonna re-replace the transmission oil to check for metal bits. transmission will whirr when cornering in some gears. realizing theres no point in checking for TOB Itll be replaced with clutch, pressure plate AND? flywheel and both bearings? I realize I should added more context in which parts in question sorry users. Trying to differentiate replacement of clutch vs transmission or find an order. Would there be an interest in replacing the shift bushing?

Also experiencing Vibration in the Transmission System pointing to a need to replace pressure plate?
Ok. I think I understand. A few things seem to point to bad clutch. Makes sense.

Tags
aftermarket, budget, online store, quality, reviews