follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #29
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
It doesn't.

This item is meant for drifters, for instant throttle response. It was born out of Japanese drifting.

-alex
No, it's actually not. It started way before that. They're very common on muscle cars. I never ran one in my GTO but plenty of people did. And Camaros, Mustangs, etc. It's far more common on high horsepower V engines than in imports I'd gather given everyone's lack of familiarity around here.

The idea is, you are preventing the energy generated by the engine from being wasted twisting the engine on its mounts rather than twisting the transmission/driveshaft. It's a tiny gain in efficiency of the drivetrain. Also, it helps to increase the longevity of the engine mounts as the forces they're subjected to are correspondingly reduced.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #30
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I don't get whats the fucking hate here. I think camber hellaflush the fuck out of everything, I was asking why they don't exist for our cars and if they would have an usage or not. I didn't talk about adding stickers bomb to my car or plastidipping it, Jesus people need to chill the fuck out sometimes. Thanks to those who actually provided answer, and that' s even aimed at you, @jsimon7777 even if your shit was full of sarcasm.

/end of thread
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #31
emirdtm

Drives: Toyobaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
I don't get whats the fucking hate here. I think camber hellaflush the fuck out of everything, I was asking why they don't exist for our cars and if they would have an usage or not. I didn't talk about adding stickers bomb to my car or plastidipping it, Jesus people need to chill the fuck out sometimes. Thanks to those who actually provided answer, and that' s even aimed at you, @jsimon7777 even if your shit was full of sarcasm.

/end of thread
My friend I completely agree with you I have cusco engine mounts Perrin trans mount whiteline diff mounts and there is still a shit load of engine movements the first company that makes a engine damper for this car I will buy it I don't know what's wrong with ppl when you actually asked them a very good question they start being smart like they know everything.
emirdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #32
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirdtm View Post
My friend I completely agree with you I have cusco engine mounts Perrin trans mount whiteline diff mounts and there is still a shit load of engine movements the first company that makes a engine damper for this car I will buy it I don't know what's wrong with ppl when you actually asked them a very good question they start being smart like they know everything.
But what negative effects are you seeing from the engine moving slightly?

The torque damper for fwd makes sense because it reduces wheel hop. Engine movement has nothing to do with wheel hop on a rwd. Diff movement does. So maybe a diff torque damper would be what you need.

Not hating just explaining.
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #33
Hot Lava
The Antiriced

Drives: women wild
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
No, it's actually not. It started way before that. They're very common on muscle cars. I never ran one in my GTO but plenty of people did. And Camaros, Mustangs, etc. It's far more common on high horsepower V engines than in imports I'd gather given everyone's lack of familiarity around here.

The idea is, you are preventing the energy generated by the engine from being wasted twisting the engine on its mounts rather than twisting the transmission/driveshaft. It's a tiny gain in efficiency of the drivetrain. Also, it helps to increase the longevity of the engine mounts as the forces they're subjected to are correspondingly reduced.

Ya, this. It was common for high HP engines to demolish motor mounts. If you want to be old school about it use a chunk oh chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post

/end of thread

Just thanking the people who vindicated your original question would have been full of win. This, not so much.
Hot Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #34
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Edited.

Last edited by Tromatic; 08-04-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #35
emirdtm

Drives: Toyobaru
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebuwh View Post
But what negative effects are you seeing from the engine moving slightly?

The torque damper for fwd makes sense because it reduces wheel hop. Engine movement has nothing to do with wheel hop on a rwd. Diff movement does. So maybe a diff torque damper would be what you need.

Not hating just explaining.
Feel and responds with solid engine mounts the engine feels like it's welded to the frame... Yeah there is a lot of vibration but I don't mind it coming form a EK with B18C5 with Hassport mounts and a S2000 with evasive mounts maybe that will explain!
emirdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #36
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
So half the people here are talking about reducing the transfer of engine torque to the frame/chasis of the car, and the other half are talking about increasing transfer of engine torque to the frame/chasis? I will be selling a torque-equalizer soon for the FR-S. It does everything.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
jebuwh (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #37
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
So half the people here are talking about reducing the transfer of engine torque to the frame/chasis of the car, and the other half are talking about increasing transfer of engine torque to the frame/chasis? I will be selling a torque-equalizer soon for the FR-S. It does everything.
I'll take 2 please.
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #38
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
So, why doesn't the FRS have one? Because a flat four engine simply does not generate that kind of force, it's 'balanced' so they say.
You got everything perfect except I have an issue with this one statement.
Boxers are "Internally balanced" in that the layout of the engine is inherently opposed so like forces cancel

When a cyl hits TDC on one side, another hits TDC on the other side so a lot of the forces that contribute to vibration cancel.
In a straight or V configuration, they do not totally cancel.

The Torque damper cancels net torque on the motor due to the acceleration of the rotating mass (crank, rods, pistons, FW, CLutch, Accessories, drivetrain etc).

This will apply a torque to ANY engine that has a single output shaft.
So yes, we COULD use torque dampers on our engines AND our diffs if anyone made them.

Anyone who has seen the twisted chassis of most 70s ford pickups can imagine the torque that the engine applies to the chassis every time you step on it.

I think our engines are just low enough output (stock) to not need any damp(en)ing except the motor mounts.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #39
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
You got everything perfect except I have an issue with this one statement.
Boxers are "Internally balanced" in that the layout of the engine is inherently opposed so like forces cancel

When a cyl hits TDC on one side, another hits TDC on the other side so a lot of the forces that contribute to vibration cancel.
In a straight or V configuration, they do not totally cancel.

The Torque damper cancels net torque on the motor due to the acceleration of the rotating mass (crank, rods, pistons, FW, CLutch, Accessories, drivetrain etc).

So yes, we COULD use torque dampers on our engines AND our diffs if anyone made them.

Anyone who has seen the twisted chassis of most 70s ford pickups can imagine the torque that the engine applies to the chassis every time you step on it.

I think our engines are just low enough output (stock) to not need any damp(en)ing except the motor mounts.
So following that though, a stronger differential mount/damper would be more useful
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #40
deafwiggle

Drives: '14 Scion FR-S; '93 JDM MR2 T
I'm a bit late to this thread, but feel it could use some reinforcing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
[...]
[...]
This^^^ I'd be in for both engine and diff dampers. My FR-S has a very clear delay between engine ac/decelerating, and the wheels ac/decelerating; I can literally feel everything winding up before the car responds. Working on getting/installing stiffer bushings when/where available...
Old 03-05-2023, 08:55 AM   #41
Darknd666

Drives: 2017 86
Silk Road Torque dampener for ZN6

https://www.rhdjapan.com/silk-road-s...c6-86-zn6.html

I discovered this, which is exactly what you were asking about. I cant seem to find how it installs though, i imagine it connects the engine to the top of the strut tower based on the image of the parts. This would dampen the side to side movement that these engines encounter when revs are applied heavily.
Darknd666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:23 AM   #42
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
God
There's soo much torque. How can I dampen it?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (03-05-2023)