follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2022, 09:18 PM   #547
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yeah I agree objectively it will certainly be better. It’s more whether I’ll like the subjective aspects as you said (exterior/interior design, engine sound, steering feel, etc.). It’ll be interesting to see. Bit of a risk but I think worth the gamble, especially if the new one responds well to e85.
Having test driven the new one and put an order. I think the only area of possible disappointment will be the steering feel, its more numb. Early FRS vs the new generation, you will get a lot more road feel from the old car. Otherwise the handling remains sharp, responsive, etc.

Perhaps upgrading the steering rack's bushing might return some of the road feel information the old one provided. That was really the starkest difference between old and new where I was in favour of old.

Pretty much everything else bar some inconsequential minor things, I prefer the new car or the new car is identical to the old one. That is kind of the advantage of going the evolution route for a next gen.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jegan_V For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:01 AM   #548
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
Perhaps upgrading the steering rack's bushing might return some of the road feel information the old one provided. That was really the starkest difference between old and new where I was in favour of old.
It might not be that simple, I think I read somewhere the steering caster had changed and the steering ratio. From the reviews I’ve read though it sounds minor and the steering feel is still pretty good.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #549
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I honestly think the change in steering feel comes more from the wheel itself than the rack and assist system. I noticed the same slight drop in steering feel when test driving a 2017 BRZ, compared to my 2013. The facelift steering wheel is a bit fatter and has more padding so it transmits less vibrations. The steering wheel in the new car is carried over from the facelift, so it makes sense the steering feel will be slightly less than an early 1st gen.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-22-2022), PBR (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 09:38 AM   #550
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
It might not be that simple, I think I read somewhere the steering caster had changed and the steering ratio. From the reviews I’ve read though it sounds minor and the steering feel is still pretty good.
I agree it is minor, otherwise I might not have ordered the new car. It however was the most drastic difference I noticed between my old car and the new one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I honestly think the change in steering feel comes more from the wheel itself than the rack and assist system. I noticed the same slight drop in steering feel when test driving a 2017 BRZ, compared to my 2013. The facelift steering wheel is a bit fatter and has more padding so it transmits less vibrations. The steering wheel in the new car is carried over from the facelift, so it makes sense the steering feel will be slightly less than an early 1st gen.
That's an interesting thought because I assumed the difference between early cars and the facelifted ones were extremely minimal. How vital are the buttons on the wheel? I wouldn't have too many qualms about using an original BRZ wheel if it provided that feel, if it does that...I might as well change the stalks then.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jegan_V For This Useful Post:
PBR (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 10:07 AM   #551
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegan_V View Post
I agree it is minor, otherwise I might not have ordered the new car. It however was the most drastic difference I noticed between my old car and the new one though.

That's an interesting thought because I assumed the difference between early cars and the facelifted ones were extremely minimal. How vital are the buttons on the wheel? I wouldn't have too many qualms about using an original BRZ wheel if it provided that feel, if it does that...I might as well change the stalks then.

The steering wheel buttons are the only way to control the info screen on the left of the gauges. That said @geraldjust made a little controller for the cluster on the facelift cars that would allow you to use a buttonless wheel.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #552
*Axel
Grey Man

Drives: 22 MT BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Samurai View Post
Anyone around here knows how long the GR86 and the BRZ 2 should be built in the USA
greetings Ulli
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
None of the twins have been US built.
They all come from one plant in Gunma, Japan.
All of them, worldwide.

I'm unaware of any plans to move or expand production at present.
I don't think that they should have to.

I'm sore that North America isn't getting the GR Yarris.
Get one of those while you can
I wouldn’t buy one made in North America. It’s one of the things I favor about the platform, high quality control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR View Post
..I'm going to tell the worst thing you're ever going to hear. Gen 1 is now obsolete. The truth hurts. It's so much stiffer, refined and faster it actually might be worth going into debt for. That 2.0 in hindsight was pretty awful. Cheers.
Ouch! Relentless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR View Post
Why? A Golf is a mini minivan...
🤣

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
As PBR said, maybe a used one in a few years from now when they are cheap. I never say never.
In a few years they will be collectable for the NA ICE factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc_pat View Post
The new car is amazing.
Yes, it’s lovely and fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I saw one in the wild at a dealership in the last few days. Seeing it in person just cemented my already stated dislike for the design changes. The interior is nice though.
Perhaps you'll feel different after you pay off the old one.

Quote:
The facelift steering wheel is a bit fatter and has more padding..
Is what I like most about it.
*Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Axel For This Useful Post:
PBR (01-22-2022), saltywetman (02-08-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:53 PM   #553
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Axel View Post
Perhaps you'll feel different after you pay off the old one. .
Probably won't given my 2013 has been paid off since 2012.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
2020BRZtS (01-23-2022), DarkSunrise (01-22-2022), ScoobsMcGee (01-25-2022), wbradley (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 03:31 PM   #554
*Axel
Grey Man

Drives: 22 MT BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Probably won't given my 2013 has been paid off since 2012.
I kid, I kid.
I saw the date: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)

Freaking awesome! Congrats You've been having fun with the platform for a long time.
*Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Axel For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-22-2022), Little Samurai (01-22-2022), PBR (01-23-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 07:55 AM   #555
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Axel View Post
Freaking awesome! Congrats You've been having fun with the platform for a long time.
Indeed, and almost 200K miles.

No worries. I can see the appeal of the GEN2 to some folks, just like widebody kits on the GEN1 have an appeal. It's just not for me, a little too racer boy, and I think the front end lost its character.

Ultimately, as I've said before, I rarely buy a second version of the same model anyway so I'm probably not the target audience for the GEN2.

That said, if my GEN1 caught fire today, I can't think of another new car in the same price range I would buy so who knows?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
alone1i (01-25-2022), soundman98 (01-24-2022), Tcoat (01-25-2022), Ultramaroon (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:47 AM   #556
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
The steering wheel buttons are the only way to control the info screen on the left of the gauges. That said @geraldjust made a little controller for the cluster on the facelift cars that would allow you to use a buttonless wheel.
yup will make a plate that will allow you to mount your cruise control and the navigation switches for for the 2022+ cars. Currently the plates are almost ready for testing. unfortunately i don't have anyone local in San Diego to do a local fitment test. Wish someone in South of San Diego was there to be honest to also have a go to with going through all the dealer level software and see what we can configure in these cars via Computer.
bcj (01-25-2022), Yoshoobaroo (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 03:04 AM   #557
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Indeed, and almost 200K miles.

No worries. I can see the appeal of the GEN2 to some folks, just like widebody kits on the GEN1 have an appeal. It's just not for me, a little too racer boy, and I think the front end lost its character.

Ultimately, as I've said before, I rarely buy a second version of the same model anyway so I'm probably not the target audience for the GEN2.

That said, if my GEN1 caught fire today, I can't think of another new car in the same price range I would buy so who knows?
I don`t understand how you can say the GEN2 is a "a little too racer boy". Unless you are thinking in the direction of it actually makes some power. Like whats boy racer about it?
Old 01-25-2022, 07:41 AM   #558
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
I don`t understand how you can say the GEN2 is a "a little too racer boy". Unless you are thinking in the direction of it actually makes some power. Like whats boy racer about it?
No the power is fine. I'd be OK if it came with 300HP frankly.

I'm talking about the external design, particularly the side profile and the vents, and the sideboards you could use to stand on. it just looks like it was an afterthought, "Oh we need to change this up so we can say it's a new car". At least the vents are functional.

Again, just my opinion, no offense intended if you like the way it looks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
alone1i (01-25-2022), Dzmitry (01-26-2022), gen3v8 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #559
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
No the power is fine. I'd be OK if it came with 300HP frankly.

I'm talking about the external design, particularly the side profile and the vents, and the sideboards you could use to stand on. it just looks like it was an afterthought, "Oh we need to change this up so we can say it's a new car". At least the vents are functional.

Again, just my opinion, no offense intended if you like the way it looks.
It looks like it was designed in sections by three different people that didn't know what the others were doing. The whole front bumper. side vents and running boards look like somebody started installing a body kit at the nose and then just stopped.
All in all the design cues that work very well on a beefier car like the STi just don't fit on the BRZ/86.

You know we are not allowed to have this opinion though so it doesn't matter since the second gen is now a super car and the old ones are just trash.
alone1i (01-25-2022), BRZyJ (01-25-2022), Dadhawk (01-25-2022), Dzmitry (01-26-2022), RippedManiac (01-31-2022), SC10N (04-11-2022), soundman98 (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #560
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
IMO the new design is less aggro and less "boy-racerish". New-gen front fenders are less gimmicky and cleaner and more sculpted. If anything the new BRZ front bumper is slimmer and less bluff and wouldn't fit at all on a big bulky car. The little kick in the rocker panels aft of the door doesn't bother me, I think it's a clean counterpoint to the front fenders and also fills in some plain dead space between the back of the door and wheel opening. In a proper FR sports car that space wouldn't exist...

I like both, a lot. Neither are perfect and as far as I'm concerned both suffer in the looks department due to rear wheels too far aft. Which also kills the weight distribution. Oh wellz!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-25-2022), PBR (01-25-2022)