follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #169
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne View Post
Yes, this needs to happen. Hey @Ubersuber and @Rocket.BRZ please discuss things for us to watch.
In for the "Battle of the Mom Pics"
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ftc~brz For This Useful Post:
jebuwh (08-15-2014), jvincent (08-15-2014), Khorne (08-15-2014), litemup (08-15-2014), Marchy (08-21-2014), Shagaliscious (08-22-2014), sklimo (08-15-2014), tahdizzle (08-15-2014), wparsons (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #170
JasperNoone
Banned

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
What a fun thread. Suberman never disappoints. Just upset I missed the initial fun.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #171
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
@Ubersuber , this is all you need to "fix" the handling of the car:

Skip to about 16 minutes to see the part on handling balance. No change needed to the car, just driver improvement.
That's one of the best videos I've seen explaining under and oversteer...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
litemup (08-16-2014), wparsons (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #172
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
@Ubersuber , this is all you need to "fix" the handling of the car:

Skip to about 16 minutes to see the part on handling balance. No change needed to the car, just driver improvement.
That was excellent. Thanks for posting. I actually learned quite a bit of useful info!
The Following User Says Thank You to jebuwh For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #173
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Once more into the breach:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...?__federated=1

I don't expect anyone to quibble with this driver's expertise.

The BRZ is quicker, same day same driver same track.

The ONLY difference is the BRZ has softer rear springs. The suggestion that the dampers are different has been disproved by others posted to this BB I believe.

The driver's comments as to how the two cars feel and why the BRZ is likely faster are interesting.

Even more interesting would be testing the BRZ against itself with just a stiffer front bar. Should be even quicker because it will get its meagre power down a split second earlier.

Note the lap time margin is around 0.8 seconds, twice the margin achieved by fitting a clutch type lsd.

Tire pressures can be used to tweak handling, and the F1 boys do this also. In this case likely increasing the rear tire pressures is the way to go as tire pressure increases grip and does not affect roll stiffness.

Ditto lowering which changes the load transfer effects and in theory at least keeps the inside tire working harder for longer. Ironically, lowering reduces the load transfer which some here seem to think would be bad for handling.

Indeed, although I don't know the camber rise rates on these cars it seems very likely that front camber rise is at a lower rate than rear camber rise. If so then a quick and easy way to get better handling is to lower the car, assuming rear camber rise is at a higher rate but does not pass over the critical point. This would increase rear grip relative to the front and as long as you don't go crazy with spring rates you will improve front to rear balance in favour of understeer and go faster.

Us old guys already have trouble getting up to street level from the driver's seat so lowering the cars is not going to work well for us.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #174
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersuber View Post
This thread is no longer about your wildly inaccurate suppositions; it's about actual suspension advice from knowledgeable people with documented backgrounds in the fields of suspension tuning and driving fast. And correcting @7thgear's grammar. Kindly shove off.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #175
Ubersuber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
The first thing you said that actually makes sense.
Um, the first thing I said that you realized made sense. I try to keep it simple.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #176
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
This thread is no longer about your wildly inaccurate suppositions; it's about actual suspension advice from knowledgeable people with documented backgrounds in the fields of suspension tuning and driving fast. And correcting @7thgear's grammar. Kindly shove off.

my grammar may be off at times but you bitches can't touch my flair
Calum (08-15-2014), ftc~brz (08-15-2014), husker741 (08-15-2014), litemup (08-15-2014), wparsons (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #177
Ubersuber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Calum's guide on how to make the car fix Suberman's inability to drive correctly.

Attend a few HPDE classes.

The only time I've had the back end step out on me is when I get REALLY ham fisted with it. My last project car needed that to get it to rotate, so I was pretty surprised the first time it happened in the FRS. But after I learned to drive it more smoothly I found that oversteer and understeer are available upon request, as long as I choose my corner line and braking point ahead of time.

That's not to say I haven't found ways of improving my ability to drive this car quicker by modifying the suspension. But the mods I've made haven't been for improved grip, but improved driver confidence.
It is child's play to get the back end of these cars to step out, the FRS more so than the BRZ. That is actually a problem. You were pretty surprised the first time...but you did learn to drive later.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #178
Ubersuber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
CSG and I have both moved ours backwards.. but whatevs....
Yes, but what did you try first?...whatever.

If you lower these cars without doing anything else you move grip to the rear so you can then tolerate more rear roll stiffness. Add camber plates up front and you're back where you started.

It is complicated if you are trying to change too much.

I just cut half an inch out of the rear bump stops, nice and simple, really safe and it works.

Cheap too, especially if you do it while changing the rear shocks. The bump stops are only CDN$15 each if you want to keep your old ones intact.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #179
Ubersuber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Shifts the load? It artificially increases spring rate at the expense of suspension independence.. so yeah it'll be slighter looser but not changing any weight transfer which is how I read shifts the load.

Just saying
If you make the roll bar stiffer it just changes the rate the load transfer occurs. Load transfer is a function of CG over roll axis x lateral g.

Changing roll bars can't change weight transfer quantum.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #180
Ubersuber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You can, but you're subtracting grip from the axle with higher pressure. Rather, try a slightly stiffer rear sway bar. This shifts the load slightly more rearward.
Are you sure? By shifting roll stiffness to the rear you aren't adding any grip to the rear tires. If you want to increase rear traction you should increase front roll stiffness.

Weight transfer results from the CG height over the roll axis height (the lever arm) x lateral g. Roll bars have no effect on this number. Neither do springs. Only tire grip can increase lateral g, assuming you can get the power down.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #181
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersuber View Post

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...?__federated=1

I don't expect anyone to quibble with this driver's expertise.
They also claim the damping was stiffer on the FRS, which it isn't, but they theorized that stiffer damping made the car more tail happy.

Funny, you claimed stiffer damping made it less tail happy (which is false).

Just give up already.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #182
Ubersuber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Hey, it's my thread even though someone changed the title...

Closed Thread

Tags
225 width perf snow tires, 7thgear haz flair, i'm afraid of the snow, lawyers can't drive, magical suspension expert, my first period, überstupid