follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
SubBrZ

Drives: Crystal black BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TPMS problem

Recently purchased wheel and tires from tirerack and new TPMS. Went to subaru to get them initialized. They said they couldn't. Has anyone ran into this problem?
SubBrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Someone told me that they brought their BRZ to the Subaru dealer to reset the TMPS sensors on the stock tires (switching back from winter tires) and Subaru's machine or device couldn't read the code. They had to bring it over to the Toyota dealer and had them read the code for them. Weird, huh?
TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That's strange. I bought new wheels/tires/ TPMS sensors from Tire Rack. I also got the TPMS sensor IDs from Tire Rack. The Subaru dealer didn't have any problem reading programming the ECU to the new sensor IDs.

If I didn't have the new IDs, the dealer was going to dismount the tires and read the IDs off the sensors by eye.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This is what I'm talkin about @switchlanez.

Ok, since you got the sensors from tire rack they should be able to provide you with the code numbers on the sensors.

If they can't provide these then you will need to break the bead on every rim/tire to read the codes off of the sensors.

The TPMS sensors are now Toyota and not Subaru. As such each sensor has it's own code. When you switch wheels, tires, etc you need to supply Subaru Service with these codes for the sensors to be re-initialized.

I just went through this with my new rim/tire set-up. My Shop Foreman is as car crazy as I am and gave me fair warning that when I swapped em he would need these codes. So I snapped a pic of all four sensors before they were mounted/balanced. When I took them to him he was able to enter them into an OBD computer that links to our port and voila.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
andrew20195 (03-06-2014), switchlanez (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
People buy TPMS sensors for aftermarket wheels?

<< Has been TPMS sensorless since 1 week of ownership..
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
SubBrZ

Yes I provided the code to them and still couldn't read them. Might try Toyota dealership
Old 03-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubBrZ View Post
Yes I provided the code to them and still couldn't read them. Might try Toyota dealership
Why do they need to read the code if you already have them? Can't they just program the vehicle to the codes? Maybe I don't really understand how TPMS works.

The person I was talking about was trying to reset to the stock wheel TPMS sensors, so it made sense to go to the Toyota dealer. Even then, after Toyota read the code, the Subaru dealer took it back to their service department to program it. They wrote down the codes and put it in the glove compartment so they don't need to bring it over to Toyota again next time.

Not sure if it makes a difference going to a different manufacturer dealer when you have aftermarket sensors.
TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The tire shop I do all my business with, has a device that can get the codes electronically through the tire sidewall. It can then be plugged in to the OBDII port and adjust the ECU. He does it for me for free. Check with tire shops to see if they could do it for you.
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
Beyer Subaru

Quote:
You should have four different codes from the four different sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
Why do they need to read the code if you already have them? Can't they just program the vehicle to the codes? Maybe I don't really understand how TPMS works.

The person I was talking about was trying to reset to the stock wheel TPMS sensors, so it made sense to go to the Toyota dealer. Even then, after Toyota read the code, the Subaru dealer took it back to their service department to program it. They wrote down the codes and put it in the glove compartment so they don't need to bring it over to Toyota again next time.

Not sure if it makes a difference going to a different manufacturer dealer when you have aftermarket sensors.
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either. Except TireRack is a very good company that will try to keep you as close to OEM spec as possible and might use the same style as ours that actually requires programming to the ecu.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
SubBrZ

I have after market TPMS that was provided by tirerack. I talked to Marshall from tirerack and he said the ECU should have read the sensors without having any problem. Subaru said its a Toyota tech and that they needed the codes. I gave them the codes. Still any read the sensors. Gonna try Toyota dealership next unless someone can point out a fix.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
Beyer Subaru

The car won't "read" the sensors without the codes being input through the OBD tool. Your Suby dealer might not know what they're doing?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
SubBrZ

Those guy said that, that's what they do but they said that BRZ is different. I'm not sure how...
Old 03-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Those guy said that, that's what they do but they said that BRZ is different. I'm not sure how...
On most Subarus, the TPMS is initialized by putting the TPMS control unit into learning mode and activating each sensor with a handheld wireless tool so they can be learned. As Beyer Subaru said above, this tool will not work with the BRZ system. With the BRZ, you have to manually input the ID numbers found on the sensors. If you have the numbers, there's no reason the Subaru dealer shouldn't have been able to do it.
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew20195 For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
aschnell

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you want to do it yourself get a ATEQ quick set. $150 from Amazon. Then you can swap wheels on your own. Need the ids from tire rack. I went to local tire dealer to read out codes since tire rack messed up one of my codes. Subaru was useless.
aschnell is offline   Reply With Quote