follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #15
Sur

Drives: GEN-1-86-MT-FI / 2022 KTM RC 390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Not really true. The FA20 has a unique configuration and Toyota has done way more of the recalls than Subaru (they sold almost 3 to1 Toyota in 2013). I did have mine done, and it has almost 100K miles on it since the recall. There were some that had issues, but no one has been able to say what percentage did, and of those that did most were corrected by the dealer that caused the issue without drama.

I agree though, if I was just getting to this now after 10 years, and almost 200K miles, I'd not do it.
Im just going off of the information I’ve read through here on the forum in the recall thread. The Majority agree not to do it unless it’s required for registration and if you have very low miles (hence the motor hasn’t proven itself).

But I still stand by my statement. Subaru Motor, Subaru Tech. Not taking mine to Toyota. But I’m also not going too have the recall performed unless my state decides to make me do it in order to register. Which is unlikely. I don’t have emissions here in Washington.

To each their own.
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sur For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 02:08 PM   #16
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post
Im just going off of the information I’ve read through here on the forum in the recall thread. The Majority agree not to do it unless it’s required for registration and if you have very low miles (hence the motor hasn’t proven itself).

But I still stand by my statement. Subaru Motor, Subaru Tech. Not taking mine to Toyota. But I’m also not going too have the recall performed unless my state decides to make me do it in order to register. Which is unlikely. I don’t have emissions here in Washington.

To each their own.

I let a Subaru mechanic touch my fuel pump recall (2018+) which ended up costing me a walk to the gas station because the fuel gauge stopped working properly, which hence caused me to run out of gas even when the indication was a 1/2 tank. Then had to empty out a full tank of gas because the same tech put 89 gas on a car that is tuned for 93, that was fun. Then had to proceed and clean out the car because the tech left the back full of boot marks and foam from the back seat.

Their excuse, over whatever amount of years that dealership has been in service, they have never worked on a BRZ.
soundman98 (05-02-2022), Ultramaroon (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 02:11 PM   #17
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i took mine in for an oil leak on the head under warranty and a rocker exited my block 400 miles later and i pulled rtv out of the pickup. also they rtved in my hpfp for some reason so that went in the fuckitbucket too. just drive it until it breaks and replace it then.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 09:08 PM   #18
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post

To each their own.
As I said, I'm all in on the not doing it unless you have to. In fact, as I've pointed out before, Toyota/Subaru both (at least in the recall) say they will cover the cost of repairing it if it fails, so you've got that going for you.

As far as who does the work, there were failures on both sides, and not nearly a high percentage as it "feels like" from reading this forum. The mechanics all received training on this specific repair, and they had to be of a certain skill level. If you do have to have it done, ask questions, and you should get a good result.

By the way, unless you pay for it out of pocket, Subaru won't do the repair on a Toyota as they won't get reimbursed for it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 12:38 AM   #19
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I had the surgery done at 90k miles mostly because it was free and I had just heard the beginnings of the terminal throwout bearing.
Surprised it lasted that long. No damage, but got that fixed with the new version for a price.
It was an engine out operation so the clutch is sitting right there in the meantime.

That was sometime last winter and I hadn't really put any sort of mileage in with mostly nowhere to go to and a gamey knee.
It has had regular trips to the grocery so it's been abused with short trips. Time to blow the dust out.
Just got back from a road trip to Cannon Beach Or. and the car has performed fine as it hasn't caught fire or blown up, yet.

I've been keeping an eye on it, and there are no detectable oil leaks so far. Was also one that didn't have leaks to begin with.
Happy with the value so far, and hope it will run a few more miles.

non-seq. -- New windshield wipers are a significantly appreciable upgrade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-03-2022), Ultramaroon (05-03-2022)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:40 PM   #20
DGC78

Drives: 2013 Fire Storm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
LOL, The service manager said his tech has done over a hundred of em. Motor went 3,000 mi later. The shop I used to rebuild it after that fiasco said everything was clogged with sealant. Doing the recall is like playing Russian Roulette.
The exact thing happened to me, 60k+ mi & I bought it w/32k+ on it. I remember taking the TX dealer telling me that the sealant was not on the cover where "they would've done it" and when I asked the dealer in LA about that he said they put it on one way, according to manufacturer specs. The whole thing is suspicious...

I was checking in to see if a class action ever took off for this issue but I see this thread is over a year and a half old.
DGC78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frs, recall, valve springs