follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Rocky Mountains / Great Plains

Rocky Mountains / Great Plains CO, IA, KS, MO, MT, ND, NE, SD, WY

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
ktBonefish

Drives: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Favorite tracks around Kansas City area?

How's it going my fellow Midwest car lovers. I'm moving back to KC here in the next week, so I was wondering what everyone's favorite race tracks in the area were. Any good things compared to some of the others you have been to?

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
DYOLF26

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The only track left in the Kansas City Area is Heartland Park Raceway in Topeka. They have both a drag strip and Auto X course. I've never taken any of my cars there but sure had fun on their memorial day free track day for sport bikes. I'm sure I will bring my frs when it comes in! Shoot me a PM if you ever decide to go. We could have a little 86 posse ha.
DYOLF26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
enigma

Drives: Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just moved to FL from Kansas City...

Heartland Park is a fun track about 1 1/2 hrs away from KC (depending on what part of KC you're moving to) and is a great track. I haven't been on it in a few years, so I haven't done the new configuration, but I hear the "new" (it's been there a few years ) turn 8-9 complex is FAST and fun.

Mid America Motorplex is also about 3 hours north near Council Bluffs, IA. I've done a ton of laps there and it's a great track to really push at or for someone who hasn't had much track time before. It's VERY wide, has a ton of runoff, and zero elevation change. It's an easy track to push yourself at because it's not very intimidating (read: no walls close by).

KC also has a great autocross region if you're into that. www.kcrscca.org if you're interested. I autocrossed in KC for years. It's a great group of people, it's run very efficiently, and the venue isn't bad; it's like a mini roadcourse.

If you're interested, here are some clips from MAM and from some of the KCRSCCA stuff I've done over the years.

Autocross run. Forgive my awesome start. It was my second event ever running the shifter kart and I was struggling getting the carb cleared out and getting a clean start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cD5VOUnzj0&list=UUtCLq6dfiBYNxFA3rMYnifg& index=5&feature=plcp"]2011.04.03 - KCRSCCA Event 1 - Run 4.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Track day @ Mid America Motorplex... Intermediate session was packed full of people, so I tried to be sneaky and go out in the less populated novice session to get a little extra time. Turns out I just ran into slower traffic. Then towards the end, I realized I was almost out of gas.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APo33tz9yjQ&list=UUtCLq6dfiBYNxFA3rMYnifg& index=8&feature=plcp"]Pete's NSX @ Mid America Motorplex 9-3-2010 - YouTube[/ame]

First track day in the NSX @ MAM:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHeC6JDFA48&list=UUtCLq6dfiBYNxFA3rMYnifg& index=1&feature=plcp"]Pete MAM 08-06-10 - Later Session.mkv - YouTube[/ame]

Not my vid, but a good friend of mine in his S2000 @ Heartland Park:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_YhpXSF62E&feature=plcp"]Honda S2000-Porsche 911 at Heartland Park - YouTube[/ame]

Hope that helps! KC's a great city! Hope you enjoy it.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enigma For This Useful Post:
levifig (07-15-2013)