follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #155
stevo_12v

Drives: Mazda MX-6 Turbo, Toyota GTS86 37J
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Rant

I seriously do not understand how some vendors can be so tardy.
Got a PM regarding my kit today..

If this vendor had actually taken note that I am and have been a FULLY PAID customer, you would at least think he would have noted down my address.(Check the date on the top left, 5th September)

Nope, they have totally forgotten that I have actually paid for BOTH the parts and the freight of my order.(Kit arrived at their premises 1st Nov-Thursday). If they had their shit together, the parts would have been shipped Thur/Friday and I would have received it sometime this week. Another week of waiting. 8 weeks and counting even my CARSMO spoiler(which had to be made and painted) which I ordered 10 days later is coming earlier.

/RANT
Old 11-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #156
stevo_12v

Garage
How shit gets organized. Keep a log.

Update: DHL arrived, but nobody home. Damnit!

Last edited by stevo_12v; 11-05-2012 at 01:51 PM.
stevo_12v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #157
GaN-MaN
WA 86/BRZ Club

Drives: Toyota 86 GT MT Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_12v View Post
How shit gets organized. Keep a log.
Your a very dedicated man Steve.
Big respect for u man.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #158
Mr Franky

Drives: Vehicle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You're a bloody legend Steve.
Keep up the amazing work.
Mr Franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #159
stevo_12v

Garage
Modification Permits

Was thinking about one of my previous post in the AVO Thread about getting the modification(AVO Turbo) legal/roadworthy and copacetic with the insurance company.

I had previously filled out their "Modification Application Light (Production) Vehicles" Form on the 25th of September. Received their reply on the 8th of October. Here is the usual correspondence which they have sent. It may be of interest to some fellow modifiers.. so.. I'll put it up here.

Haven't approached any engineer or examination center yet as I had a few extra modifications(DBA rotor, BeatRUSH, CUSCO Shift Kit, PERRIN Shift Kit, Hella Supertones, blah-blah-blah-blah.. and bodykit had not arrived) to do so I am planning on re-submitting the mod form again.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #160
stevo_12v

Garage
Carsmo arrived!! :D

My CARSMO came in today. Goods are well packaged.

Came with a nice microfibre Carsmo cloth and 2x CARSMO stickers.

The only good use for OEM GTS brake rotors

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevo_12v For This Useful Post:
F1point4 (11-06-2012), GaN-MaN (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #161
stevo_12v

Garage
Carsmo Installed, some Fluids I bought today..

Carsmo unveiled..

Fluids to be changed..
Transmission Fluid: Redline MT90
Differential Fluid: Motul Gear 300
Brake Fluid: Motul Dot 5.1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevo_12v For This Useful Post:
Anduz (11-07-2012), Ray@Carsmo (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #162
stevo_12v

Garage
My workspace

A fellow subscriber was interdasted in my 'work area' for my car. Also, this will showcase the variety of tools which I've used to modify the car. Pretty much everything on my car has been done by me bar the wheel balancing/alignment. I will have to go to the dealers on Friday for Tran/Diff fluid change as I do not have the tools to pump the new fluid in :/

Garage - Just a little garage in an old house.
(Notice how my 'black' plates turn into 'white')

Tools
Torque Wrench, Breaker Bar, Poly/Rubber Mallet

Flare Wrench Set - use for brake bleeding

Slude Pump(brake fluid changing), Caliper Pusher, Funnel

Jacks - Cheap jack I bought locally. I use the rubber 'castor mounts' to protect the undercarriage from marring the pinch welds.

Stands - Blue ones are 12 years old, yellow ones I bought recently for use with this car.

Metrinch - Have had this for over 12 years. Cost me about $130 at the time, well worth it.

ToolKit - Little portable pouch/case of tools which I always carry around in my car. Mag pickup tool, scissors, allen key, various pliers/cutters, paintbrush - great for cleaning nooks/crannies with.

The Following User Says Thank You to stevo_12v For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-07-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #163
stevo_12v

Garage
T-Sport, Matte Badges ordered

Ordered and Paid for some fancy Grazio badges from Carson Toyota..

Red T-Sport Emblem @ $39.00

1x Matte Black Emblem Set @ $115.00

And a ridiculous $40 for shipping.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #164
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hi mate,

Loving your updates.

Just wondering if u have changed your diff oil to Motul yet? If so is it smooth on take off while turning at the same time?

My LSD isn't smooth after changing to Redline 75w90NS so would love to see how u go.

Thanks
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #165
stevo_12v

Garage
City Toyota WL bush install

Had a scheduled appointment to change the diff/transmission fluid in the 86. And if there was enough time left, to install the remaining two bushings from the Whiteline KDT922 Kit(namely the 67724 bushings). They are the two bushes that are placed front upper of the subframe in conjunction with a big metal washer. I tried it on my first install but could not possibly pry it open to slide the washer and the bushing in there.

I found out today from the techs at City Toyota Service that I had to ALSO loosen the rear subframe bolts too so there is enough play so I can shove them in. These are the bolts where the red spray dots are. Don't loosen them completely, only enough for the whole subframe to go down 5mm or so so you can install the bushing. DO NOT FORGET to keep the rear subframe supported by a jack, lol.

I brought in my own Redline/Motul oil combo, but unfortunately their other pump wasn't working(they use a separate pump from small custom jobs/different oils). However I was speaking to one of the service guys there about what other alternatives there are to 'fill' the trans/diff. I mentioned that I previously bought a 'sludge pump' for use in my brake fluid change, and he said that should do the job. I wasn't too keen on using their/another pump as that my have different gear/diff oil too. I'll be buying two new sludge pumps for this.

So in the end I had the option to reschedule the tran/diff fluid change. But I think I might have a go first. I'll pick up the sludge pumps from AutoPro/AutoOne Malaga tomorrow. The guy from service said it was a pretty straight forward procedure. Just need to open the drain holes, let it drain out. Suck up some oil in a pump/syringe and squirt it all in. Keep on doing that until you see the oil slightly coming out from the side of the case. Which reminds me, I'll have to pick up a 10mm hex too..

Also 10mins ago I ordered one of these new products from PERRIN. It's very similar to the CUSCO shift kit, except the top 'T' part is quite a bit thicker. I'm going to try to make a hybrid CUSCO/Perrin shift kit with this as mentioned here.

Gonna put the car up on stands Saturday night, and if I have the pumps and 10mm hex I'll let the oil drain overnight.
Not looking forward to getting underneath the car.. again.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #166
stevo_12v

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
Hi mate,

Loving your updates.

Just wondering if u have changed your diff oil to Motul yet? If so is it smooth on take off while turning at the same time?

My LSD isn't smooth after changing to Redline 75w90NS so would love to see how u go.

Thanks
Hi and thanks.
Hopefully I'll be able to change the oils on Sunday. Referring to my previous post, the service center didn't have a working pump(the one the used for small jobs went kaput). One of the cool service guys there said it would be a pretty straight forward job, so I'm gonna give it a burl. Save myself the $110 charge, but buy two more sludge pumps(which I can use in future) and a 10mm hex
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo_12v For This Useful Post:
Nardi330 (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #167
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_12v View Post
Hi and thanks.
Hopefully I'll be able to change the oils on Sunday. Referring to my previous post, the service center didn't have a working pump(the one the used for small jobs went kaput). One of the cool service guys there said it would be a pretty straight forward job, so I'm gonna give it a burl. Save myself the $110 charge, but buy two more sludge pumps(which I can use in future) and a 10mm hex
After looking at my mechanic replacing the fluid, definitely not hard to replace the diff oil. U just need the pump as you mentioned.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #168
stevo_12v

Garage
Transmission and Differential Oil Change..

Sick as a dog today, so I did it late afternoon after I had a bit of a sleep in. I jacked up the car on stands the night before. Oil and Diff fluid change took about 90mins(including taking off the Aero panels, referring to the forums for torque specs). Thanks to @F1point4 for another easy to use write-up!

As always some happy snaps..

Draining the transmission oil. This took around 10mins or so.

Transmission drain plug - as it was taken out. Notice the little metal shards.

Gave the drain plug a light 'pad' to absorb some of the oil, to see what remaining shards were on the magnetic drain plug.

Gave the drain plug a horizontal wipe.. as you can see, still some shards there. Be careful when cleaning them as some of the shards can actually penetrate your fingertips.

Finished cleaning the transmission drain plug..

I'm glad that AutoPro Malaga ran out of those 'sludge pumps'. Filling the Tran/Diff oil would have been a whole lot messier and time consuming.

I ended up buying these 1L 'Tom Thumb' utility pumps($24.95 at AutoPro). Highly recommended. Works the same way as one of them hand wash dispensers, just pump down. I bought two of these, one for the Motul Gear 300 and the other for the Redline MT90. They also make good storage for the oil.

Takes about 2mins of constant pumping to empty the bottle.
Best of all, you can do it one handed. You don't need another set of hands to 'hold in place' the end of the hose. It comes with a rounded 'hook' that feeds into the diff/tran hole.

Here is what remained of the OEM transmission oil. Pretty damn dirty. Looked like a dark coffee colour, and STUNK(luckily atm I hab a cold and can't really smell it).

Torqued the 10mm Hex nut on the Transmission back on(~27 ft/lbs) and then did the same process for the Differential.

Differential drain plug as it was removed immediately.

Gave the differential drain plug a light 'pad' to absorbe some oil.

Gave the drain plug another light 'pad' to absorb some more oil. There ALOT of tiny metal shards stuck to this plug.

Drain plug all nice and clean

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - The Motul Gear 300 comes with its own nozzle-type thingo that you stick into the side of the Diff case. You can use that to squeeze the Gear 300 into it.

Torqued the plug back to ~36 ft/lbs. Cleaned the area up, lowered the car and went for a drive. The improvement is noticeable, the car shifts are a lot smoother. I can definitely feel less noise/vibration too.

Last edited by stevo_12v; 11-11-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Motul Gear 300 Picture
stevo_12v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36yroldvirginscar, keyboardwarrior, trd