follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #99
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
No offense, and this is my opinion, drifting isn't a competitive motor sport, it's sports exhibition like figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics. Yes, the drivers are athletes, and yes, a few of them can probably be competitive in semi-pro auto sport, but to me, drifting is where you end up if you can't drive a real race car.

To me, this argument over Ken Gushi vs. Tyler McQuarrie is no different than Vanilla Ice vs. the

Flame away...
Tyler McQuarrie is probably the top American road racer right now. There are quite a few Formula D drivers that actually excel in professional rally and road race series.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #100
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I don't know if this isn't just blatantly obvious but

SCION the Brand in an of it self is nothing more than a Marketing HYPE! IT lives it Feeds of Hype of young people. If you want those Champions to come and do reviews and all of those thing, and honestly if Toyota really cared about what you think here in the USA.

They would have probably chosen someone that is a winner and made this car a Toyota.But No They care about Saving this Scion brand because the SCION brand Give Hype and "Coolness" To Toyota.

And This car is all about fun! Ken Drifts and relates to people on that factor he doesn't care if he wins or lose he's just sliding around to have fun. Just look at his video review, he barely speaks he shows the car drifting and just say things that are on point. He relates. get's to the point. and smiles

Im totally with Switchlanze on this subject.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch

Last edited by Zaku; 12-10-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #101
bambbrose
Wiring Nerd

Drives: 1994 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think what he is trying to say is that drifting, from a scientific standpoint, is a sport without a measurable result. Just like other judged sports.

Motorsports, by a large margin, are very data driven. I think that is why drifting is not widely accepted outside of its core group.

Its the same reason chiropractors are not always widely accepted, but regular MD, with their samples and data, are.

It nature, it is hard to refute facts. If you run a specific time on a track, nobody will argue it. But if you drift it, and someone else drifts it faster, but with more "style", they could win.

Drifting is subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
:happy0180: No offense taken. Your prejudice isn't hard to see but ya seem completely aware of it.

However, ya may want to look up the definition of competition. Both figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics are incredibly competitive.. Hell, they are olympic sports. More then can be said for any form of motor sports.

You seem either intimidated or confused about the sport of drifting. Which is understandable, especially if you don't 'get it'. Change the parameters of the racing line, the carry speed, the braking points, the precision & accuracy of going around a race track and translate them into the 'drifting paradigm' and there are a lot of similarities.
bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #102
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
Tyler McQuarrie is probably the top American road racer right now.

Ummm, you are kidding right? He is middle tier at best. And yes, I will admit I am biased. Drifting is what you do when you screw up a corner in a roadrace.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #103
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
^OT but nice hardtop! What kind of wheels?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #104
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
:happy0180: No offense taken. Your prejudice isn't hard to see but ya seem completely aware of it.

However, ya may want to look up the definition of competition. Both figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics are incredibly competitive.. Hell, they are olympic sports. More then can be said for any form of motor sports.

You seem either intimidated or confused about the sport of drifting. Which is understandable, especially if you don't 'get it'. Change the parameters of the racing line, the carry speed, the braking points, the precision & accuracy of going around a race track and translate them into the 'drifting paradigm' and there are a lot of similarities.
I've been following drifting for many years, before the release of Initial D and far before Formula Drift was even thought of in this country. Nothing about intimidates me or confuses me about it; I understand it completely. But what you described about changing racing lines, braking points, and precision and accuracy happen every weekend at Grand Prix tracks around the world, and very few drifters in Japan and worldwide can count themselves among those that race on them, and none can be mentioned in the same vein as Schumacher, Loeb, McNish, Fellows, etc. all masters of what you've listed.

BTW Bridge and Chess are Olympic sports, too.

Quote:
Tyler McQuarrie is probably the top American road racer right now. There are quite a few Formula D drivers that actually excel in professional rally and road race series.
Yeah, Tyler McQuarrie is a decent driver, but one win at Long Beach doesn't make him a top driver, and far from the top of the list among American road racers: Scott Pruett, Boris Said, Johnny O'Connell, Joey Hand, Bill Auberlen... I could probably rattle off another 10-20 before we get to McQuarrie. As for the other Formula D drivers: Millen doesn't come close to matching the skill, talent, and championships of his father (Rod) and uncle (Steve) on dirt and asphalt. Hübinette and Foust don't have regular WRC rides. They're all the best stunt driver in Hollywood, but average drivers at best on the track.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #105
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
^OT but nice hardtop! What kind of wheels?
Thanks. Moda MD13 16x7 38 offset. Thinking about putting 17x7.5 on the rear to go back to the staggered set up but I rather like how it handles square. It is neutral but you can dial in a bit of oversteer with the throttle at will.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #106
EDub

Drives: Toyota Cressida
Quote:
Post after post after post, you just sound super butt hurt, did Ken beat you up?

I thought this was about a road test, not about someone who's not competing whatsoever in a fully stock car could get it right on the apex.
EDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 AM   #107
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
haven't seen the video w/ actual review on here...here it is...

[u2b]p54jGWu2aP0[/u2b]
poormans_LFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #108
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You know what? The Scion emblem looks kinda cool on this car. Actually better looking than the Toyota emblem....I am talking about the on on the front and rear of the car. But the steering wheel one...needs to go...The 86 emblem on the steering wheel looks so much better.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #109
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Wow, not one negative review yet! Everone seems to not just like it but love it.
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #110
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDub View Post
Post after post after post, you just sound super butt hurt, did Ken beat you up?

I thought this was about a road test, not about someone who's not competing whatsoever in a fully stock car could get it right on the apex.
What is the point of this post? Do you actually have a point or do you just wish to bash me for having one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormans_LFA View Post

[u2b]p54jGWu2aP0[/u2b]
Best video review yet!
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #111
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormans_LFA View Post

[u2b]p54jGWu2aP0[/u2b]
Awesome. Thanks for sharing that.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #112
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
^Very nice.

Tags
fr-s forum, fr-s forums, fr-s reviews, fr-s video, fr-s videos, frs forum, frs forums, frs review, frs video, frs videos, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, scion fr-s video, scion fr-s videos, scion frs forum, scion frs forums, scion frs review, scion frs reviews, scion frs video, scion frs videos