follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #79479
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I hope to never again be hungry enough. Even then, it was training.

My favorite asparagus is patch-to-mouth.
Reminds me of back in my agricultural research days when I was doing research on asparagus down in the Salinas Valley of California. It was a warm spring day and the asparagus spears were just about jumping out of the crowns.

Late that afternoon, the County Agent I was working with asked me if I would like to take home some fresh asparagus? I told him no and he ask me why not. I said because it was stringy and I didn't like it.

He said let me pick/cut you some the right way and you take it home, steam it, add some salt & pepper and butter and drizzle a bit of cheese over it.

So he grabbed his asparagus knife (yes, I then learned that one should cut the spears a couple of inches below the soil surface so the crowns will continue to produce spears). Also, it's best when cut in the spring when it's growing fast.

He then had me cut/dig the spears while he would hold the spears over a bucket and hit them with his big, sharp knife, till it fell through the spear, allowing the tip of the spear to fall into the bucket.

So, I took a half a bucket home and my wife cooked them us as suggested.

I couldn't believe it was the same stuff that I had tried to eat before.

THE END
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (07-14-2021), NoHaveMSG (07-14-2021), soundman98 (07-15-2021), Spuds (07-15-2021), Ultramaroon (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #79480
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Welcome back! Now follow rule #2 or I'll delete the thread. Back at work, gotta miss it.

Nothing locally other than a SV1000. I swear, it feels like it is nothing but Harley's, Benelli's and Ninja's and dirtbikes for sale locally. Not really wanting to trailer anything.
Find yourself a good midsized dual sport. The seating position will be much friendlier and it will allow you to get used to operating the controls without all the pressure on your arms and wrists that sport bike inflicts on the rider. Most really good riders spent a lot of time on dirt bikes and dual sports.

Edit: Actually, even better would be a supermoto. I wish I had had one of those when I was riding. My KLR was as close as I got so treated it like an SM.

I think a KLX 300SM would be a straight up blast. It won't be much of a sport tourer, but then with your size, you won't get very far on anything with an "R" in the model name. lol

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 07-14-2021 at 08:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-14-2021), Stephen W. (07-15-2021), Ultramaroon (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #79481
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
I think a KLX 300SM would be a straight up blast. It won't be much of a sport tourer, but then with your size, you won't get very far on anything with an "R" in the model name. lol
My brother had the Yamaha version, the WR250X, and it was awesome. Extremely fun to ride.

Back when it was easy(and possible) to convert dirt bikes into dual sports here, we had a customer buy a KTM 450SM. We dual sported it, tossed the 4 speed setup and converted it to 6 speed with an EXE-W transmission set. That thing was a weapon on the backroads.
Ultramaroon (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #79482
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
So he grabbed his asparagus knife (yes, I then learned that one should cut the spears a couple of inches below the soil surface so the crowns will continue to produce spears). Also, it's best when cut in the spring when it's growing fast.

He then had me cut/dig the spears while he would hold the spears over a bucket and hit them with his big, sharp knife, till it fell through the spear, allowing the tip of the spear to fall into the bucket.

THE END
I'm reading up on asparagus care. So complicated.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #79483
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Sorry & thanks to everyone who replied &/or PM me to extend your concern for me. If you wondering what happened, it's damn long & complicated, so I gonna keep it short & say it's family issue. Last week keeping my sanity wasn't easy & felt mentally... more like an emotionally unstable. I wanted to clear/organized my mind, so kept all & any social media out for a few days. Worse part is still to come... but it's still unknown when it'll happen, so told myself having an anxiety whole time won't be good for my health and calmed myself down. atm anxiety level is lowered, but I'm frustrated with the situation & how I cannot do anything about it.

No, I didn't get fired from my work. No, we didn't lose our house. No, my wife didn't give me a divorce paper, even though I prob annoyed the crap out of her. lol No, my dog or baby didn't die. They're both healthy and giving me & my wife a sleepless nights still. No, I didn't think of killing myself. Not once that thought came to my mind.

It'll be hellova rollercoaster is waiting this summer and not looking forward to it
here's to hoping for the best. family stuff like that always sucks. what i found helps me the most is constant reminders to myself that there's really only so much of the situation that i can actually control/help, but there's a million ways i can make the situation worse. definitely helped my anxiety with my estranged brother, and trying to please the un-pleasable...

i've never been happier to not be part of facebook. my sister copied some link to a local town coffee shop collaborating with a chocolate shop in another town to build a new location for both stores. something to the effect of "great to see a small business expanding!"

she got a multiple-paragraph 'book' DM from my cousin in that nearby town to the effect of "don't you dare support them for [reasons]"...

i don't miss those interactions.
ichitaka05 (07-14-2021), NoHaveMSG (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 11:10 PM   #79484
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,246 Times in 8,613 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Reminds me of back in my agricultural research days when I was doing research on asparagus down in the Salinas Valley of California. It was a warm spring day and the asparagus spears were just about jumping out of the crowns.

Late that afternoon, the County Agent I was working with asked me if I would like to take home some fresh asparagus? I told him no and he ask me why not. I said because it was stringy and I didn't like it.

He said let me pick/cut you some the right way and you take it home, steam it, add some salt & pepper and butter and drizzle a bit of cheese over it.

THE END
I had a cutter just like that. Gave it away when I moved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-15-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 11:27 PM   #79485
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
My brother had the Yamaha version, the WR250X, and it was awesome. Extremely fun to ride.

Back when it was easy(and possible) to convert dirt bikes into dual sports here, we had a customer buy a KTM 450SM. We dual sported it, tossed the 4 speed setup and converted it to 6 speed with an EXE-W transmission set. That thing was a weapon on the backroads.
Oohhhh. Yeeaahhhh. I spent countless hours riding my VFR800 and KLR 650 on the twisties up in @Weeder's part of TX. The viffer was faster, but in many ways, the KLR was more fun. KLRs have at least 5 suspension springs. One in each fork tube, on on the rear shock, another connecting the front wheel to the rear wheel (the frame) and another connecting the triple clamp to the front tire (the fork). What a blast dragging the pegs up and down the poor twisted sisters. I'd have loved to play with a KLX400 up there.
NoHaveMSG (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 12:20 AM   #79486
humfrz

Quote:
I'm reading up on asparagus care. So complicated.
Also, it's important to know when to let them "go to fern", so the crowns can be replenished.
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 12:26 AM   #79487
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Also, it's important to know when to let them "go to fern", so the crowns can be replenished.
Yeah! I read! We've been doing it wrong. Well, I haven't. She picks 'em and I eat 'em.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:54 AM   #79488
humfrz

Quote:
Yeah! I read! We've been doing it wrong. Well, I haven't. She picks 'em and I eat 'em.
That reminds me of another "fresh" food story. Back in the day, I was doing some research on pineapple. Of course I had to go to Hawaii to observe some of the research that was being done by The Pineapple Research Institute near Wahiawa on Oahu.

I met up with the Director of the Institute, Dr. George Yammine, (ya, know it's amazing how good my long term memory is - ) now ......... what we we talking about? Oh, yes, fresh pineapple.

So we piled into his jeep and took off to the pineapple plots. After we arrived in the fields, he asked me if I had ever eaten fresh, vine/plant ripened pineapple? I said no. So he whipped out his small machete and chopped off a pineapple and trimmed up a few slices. I had never (or since ever) tasted anything like that. It was soo juicy and soo sweet and what flavor! -

I don't know how Dole takes that away from the pineapple, before they stick them in a can ..... but they do. -

THE END
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Atmo (07-15-2021), NoHaveMSG (07-15-2021), p1l0t (07-15-2021), Sapphireho (07-15-2021), soundman98 (07-15-2021), Stephen W. (07-15-2021), Ultramaroon (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:13 AM   #79489
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I don't know how Dole takes that away from the pineapple, before they stick them in a can ..... but they do. -

THE END

I love pineapple. Ripe-picked is amazing. The ants know which ones are ready.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #79490
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
That reminds me of another "fresh" food story. Back in the day, I was doing some research on pineapple. Of course I had to go to Hawaii to observe some of the research that was being done by The Pineapple Research Institute near Wahiawa on Oahu.

I met up with the Director of the Institute, Dr. George Yammine, (ya, know it's amazing how good my long term memory is - ) now ......... what we we talking about? Oh, yes, fresh pineapple.

So we piled into his jeep and took off to the pineapple plots. After we arrived in the fields, he asked me if I had ever eaten fresh, vine/plant ripened pineapple? I said no. So he whipped out his small machete and chopped off a pineapple and trimmed up a few slices. I had never (or since ever) tasted anything like that. It was soo juicy and soo sweet and what flavor! -

THE END
The fruit (or vegtable) is dying from the second you remove it from the plant. Even with preseravatives (which also effect flavor) it is beginning to rot ever so slowly. There is never anything like eating fresh off the plant. That's why we love our backyard garden.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-15-2021), soundman98 (07-15-2021), Ultramaroon (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #79491
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,246 Times in 8,613 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
You can't pick them and have to let them fern-out for the first couple seasons. Then you have to let them die out before you chop down the giant ferns. I had an asparagus bed for years in San Jose that cost me hundreds of dollars and several years to establish. I had non-stop asparagus each spring. It's amazing. You cut them all, then turn your back and more have popped up.

Then I could not water it properly with water restrictions, so my bed died.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-15-2021), p1l0t (07-15-2021), Ultramaroon (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #79492
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
You can't pick them and have to let them fern-out for the first couple seasons. Then you have to let them die out before you chop down the giant ferns. I had an asparagus bed for years in San Jose that cost me hundreds of dollars and several years to establish. I had non-stop asparagus each spring. It's amazing. You cut them all, then turn your back and more have popped up.

Then I could not water it properly with water restrictions, so my bed died.
I am officially engaged in the asparagus patch. Realized how badly it has been managed and am excited for the results.
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis