follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2024, 10:08 AM   #29
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergycheese348 View Post
It was connected to the intake beforehand, using the pressure from that. The supercharger also has a spot for the brake booster, which is attached. It is on the adapter between the Tundra TB and the Supercharger housing (if you have seen it, it is the black piece).
Yes, if it's on the adapter, that's where you should tee into as close to the adapter as possible. It wouldn't hurt to have multiple taps on that adapter for your multiple vacuum source points, but that's not really necessary, it would just clean up the installation and aesthetics.
Count to muffens and call again.
I知 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.

Last edited by FR-S2GT86; 01-18-2024 at 10:28 AM.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:27 AM   #30
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Yrs, if it's on the adapter, that's where you should tee into as close to the adapter as possible. It wouldn't hurt to have multiple taps on that adapter for your multiple vacuum source points, but that's not really necessary, it would just clean up the installation and aesthetics.
Sounds good. It is still currently a frozen tundra out here, so working on it is a bit rough. In about a month me and my buddy are gonna do a overhaul of stuff to get the car prepped for the Detroit Autorama, so I am going to wait until then. Once it is done I will give an update on if it works or not. Thank you for the help once again!

T RD, Verus, Ace
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 10:45 AM   #31
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergycheese348 View Post
Sounds good. It is still currently a frozen tundra out here, so working on it is a bit rough. In about a month me and my buddy are gonna do a overhaul of stuff to get the car prepped for the Detroit Autorama, so I am going to wait until then. Once it is done I will give an update on if it works or not. Thank you for the help once again!
You're welcome. The Harrop was loosely based on the TRD and Cosworth models and with the addition of the water-to-air intercooler, in my opinion, it is the best engineered design of all the positive displacement units that are (or were) available. And from information gathered here, it has been the most reliable positive displacement supercharger on the market. This is also taking into consideration the relatively few TRD and Cosworth models that were ever produced.

Hat's off to you for taking on the challenge of installing a model with very little, to no support from the manufacturer. It'll definitely make a great conversation starter at your local cars and coffee.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:21 PM   #32
Bergycheese348

Quote:
You're welcome. The Harrop was loosely based on the TRD and Cosworth models and with the addition of the water-to-air intercooler, in my opinion, it is the best engineered design of all the positive displacement units that are (or were) available. And from information gathered here, it has been the most reliable positive displacement supercharger on the market. This is also taking into consideration the relatively few TRD and Cosworth models that were ever produced.

Hat's off to you for taking on the challenge of installing a model with very little, to no support from the manufacturer. It'll definitely make a great conversation starter at your local cars and coffee.
I had heard a rumor that Harrop took and used a TRD kit to design theirs, I know this is incorrect (talking to Ken Stout himself and the lead guy that worked on it at Magnusson). Everyone has their opinions, but part of the reasons I was partial to the TRD unit is because it allows a larger TB (at the cost of the A/C), and was made exclusively for the track with the twin AWICs being as efficient as possible. On top of that, I have seen very little Harrop kits make close to the power I (according to what the previous owner made) make, especially what the KSR team was making (they blew up a lot of built engines, tuning/injectors was the reason I heard). I cannot speak on reliability itself on this kit, as even though there was no problems with these units on the race team and on mine, they had been meticulously maintained and I have very few miles on mine currently (4k) since I acquired it.

Harrop is an amazing kit and company though, was planning on them way back when I was dreaming about this blower, so definitely no disrespect to them at all. The kit has also sparked a lot of interest from people on the forums/FB and also at work, not made an official appearance anywhere yet, but it should be, in a way, at home at the Detroit Autorama in a month and a half. It is funny you mention Cosworth, I essentially work at a division of Cosworth (had it delivered here too, so sparked interest from a lot of the engine builders, techs, and engineers here).

The install was not bad at all, to be honest. The previous owner roughly laid out an install manual based off of what he remembered. Essentially it was; take off everything, place SC on top, attach TB/intake/injectors/fuel rails/E85 kit,then that was it (he forgot we had to extend the wring for the TB and extend the brake booster hose, didnt do anything with the EVAP hose). Nothing a few college students cant do (would not say we are average but not full on mechanics).

I know this is a long message with a lot of useless info, but I am trying to document the info as best as I can for history's sake and for owners of this kit down the line. Unfortunately it is hard to find info on a lot of this stuff as it has not been looked at in 10 years, but Mr. Stout and Magnusson have been informative for what's feasible. Always happy to answer questions about the kit too

T RD, Verus, Ace
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-18-2024), FR-S2GT86 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 03:48 PM   #33
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Losing A/C would have been a deal breaker for me. One other plus with the Harrop is 50-state legal CARB approval. Although admittedly, that took quite a long time to get approved, and the CARB tune supplied by the manufacturer sucks, but that was easily remedied.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:20 AM   #34
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Losing A/C would have been a deal breaker for me. One other plus with the Harrop is 50-state legal CARB approval. Although admittedly, that took quite a long time to get approved, and the CARB tune supplied by the manufacturer sucks, but that was easily remedied.
Honestly, for me, no A/C was not too much of an issue. Rolling the windows down was all I needed to keep the car cool enough for me in the summers, Gave me a reason to shed some weight pulling the A/C components out.

Yeah, you do get the CARB approval from Harrop. With catless headers and lack of modified car/emissions laws here in Michigan, it would not have made a difference though. I would joke that even if i was pulled over for being modified that the intake, exhaust, and SC is CARB legal since the TRD exhaust and intake is (just dont look at the headers).

T RD, Verus, Ace