follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
Lelandjt

Drives: '04 STi, '12 Mazda 3 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightest Better Brakes for 17" Wheels?

I'd like to upgrade the brakes under my 17" stock wheels if it can be done without adding weight*. I'd be looking for the largest diameter rotors and 4 piston front, 2 piston rear calipers that fit under stock 17s. It looks like there's some extra room so I'd like the greater leverage and cooling of larger rotors and I liked the look and feel of the non-sliding calipers on my STi. Those were paired with 17" wheels from the factory. An additional requirement is that they've been developed and tested with an otherwise stock brake system to have the same balance as stock or maybe slightly more rear bias (I like trail braking).

*I realize bigger rotors & calipers would normally weigh more but I'm hoping aluminum hats and well designed calipers can prevent that.

**I could live with the stock calipers if they can be paired with slightly bigger 2 piece rotors and adapters that move the calipers out.
Lelandjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 03:34 PM   #2
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
The AP Racing kits are fantastic. The Sprint Kit is usually sufficient for most applications, but if you're going FI or slicks and aero then the Endurance kit could be warranted (the Sprint fits lots of 17" wheels, the Endurance fits better with 18" setups). The kits are designed to be used with the stock rears. I've been instructing at the local tracks for years with the Sprint kit (first on my 2014 for over 6 years and now on my 2022), there are very few cars that can out brake me and heat management is fantastic.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
JRitt (10-17-2023), Lelandjt (08-27-2023), Opie (09-30-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Lighter, and bigger/better are mutually exclusive with brakes, unless you're willing to spend BIG money.

What you're asking for does not exist. Which requirement are you willing to compromise?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 05:39 PM   #4
Lelandjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Lighter, and bigger/better are mutually exclusive with brakes, unless you're willing to spend BIG money.

What you're asking for does not exist. Which requirement are you willing to compromise?
Not willing to compromise 17" wheels. Don't want to add significant weight, an extra pound on each corner would be acceptable. The stock brakes are pretty good for my use, just a touch better feel and heat capacity would be nice, so I can't really justify significant cost. I was hoping someone made a set of slightly larger 2 piece rotors that would fit under stock 17s, weigh the same as stock due to the aluminum hats, and come with adapters to move the stock calipers out. That would be cheap enough, light enough, and give a slight improvement. As much as I like the look and feel of my '04 STi's calipers I probably couldn't justify the weight and cost to put them on the BRZ.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:04 AM   #5
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
AP Sprint kit is what you're after. Drops 20lbs.
JRitt (10-17-2023), Lelandjt (08-30-2023), Opie (09-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 12:35 PM   #6
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
AP Sprint kit is what you're after. Drops 20lbs.
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...0299brzfrsgt86

'22 CX-5 Turbo
'?? 86 one day soon?
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:16 PM   #7
Lelandjt

Yeah, I guess that's the best option. Kinda surprised it doesn't included rear rotors & caliper brackets.
I'd be nice if they'd sell the front rotors with brackets to run stock calipers.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:49 PM   #8
LRNAD90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
Yeah, I guess that's the best option. Kinda surprised it doesn't included rear rotors & caliper brackets.
I'd be nice if they'd sell the front rotors with brackets to run stock calipers.
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but I suspect there may be some confusion in the line of thinking. Not clear why you would want larger rotors with stock calipers?

First thing to keep in mind that larger rotors will not necessarily increase the stopping power/decrease stopping distances. Stock brakes are more than capable of locking the wheels, so moving to larger discs isn't going to necessarily improve stopping distances. Larger/better rotors improve thermal capacity, which allows them to take more abuse before fading.

The calipers in the kit are also going to be lighter than stock calipers, and have better heat dissipation capacity than stock. Again, not shorter stopping distances (though probbably better feel than the stock sliding piston calipers)

This thread may be of interest..

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...ighlight=brake
'22 CX-5 Turbo
'?? 86 one day soon?
Old 08-30-2023, 06:55 PM   #9
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
The AP Racing kits are fantastic. The Sprint Kit is usually sufficient for most applications, but if you're going FI or slicks and aero then the Endurance kit could be warranted (the Sprint fits lots of 17" wheels, the Endurance fits better with 18" setups). The kits are designed to be used with the stock rears. I've been instructing at the local tracks for years with the Sprint kit (first on my 2014 for over 6 years and now on my 2022), there are very few cars that can out brake me and heat management is fantastic.
I have the sprint kit too. Just out of curiosity what is your favorite brake pad? I'm do for a set and have been looking around.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:43 PM   #10
Lelandjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but I suspect there may be some confusion in the line of thinking. Not clear why you would want larger rotors with stock calipers?

First thing to keep in mind that larger rotors will not necessarily increase the stopping power/decrease stopping distances. Stock brakes are more than capable of locking the wheels, so moving to larger discs isn't going to necessarily improve stopping distances. Larger/better rotors improve thermal capacity, which allows them to take more abuse before fading.

The calipers in the kit are also going to be lighter than stock calipers, and have better heat dissipation capacity than stock. Again, not shorter stopping distances (though probbably better feel than the stock sliding piston calipers)

This thread may be of interest..

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...ighlight=brake
Larger rotors create more brake torque for a given squeeze. They can absorb more heat and they cool faster. Better calipers have their own advantages over stock calipers but the easiest, cheapest way to improve your brakes (after pads & fluid) is larger rotors and they're usually much cheaper than calipers.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:20 PM   #11
LRNAD90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
Larger rotors create more brake torque for a given squeeze. They can absorb more heat and they cool faster. Better calipers have their own advantages over stock calipers but the easiest, cheapest way to improve your brakes (after pads & fluid) is larger rotors and they're usually much cheaper than calipers.
I'm familiar withthe concept, but I'll have to respecively diasgree with your statement in this application. The difference in rotor size is really marginal, you are talking about .17" difference in diameter or about 1.4% larger. You'd likely see more increase using larger pads for more swept area.

And in the end, neither matters, becasue the stock brakes are capable of locking the wheel, so no additional torque is needed for the brake application.

IMO, the change in unsprung weight is the greatest advantage to the AP Sprint kit (on the street).
'22 CX-5 Turbo
'?? 86 one day soon?
Old 08-31-2023, 09:05 AM   #12
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I have the sprint kit too. Just out of curiosity what is your favorite brake pad? I'm do for a set and have been looking around.
I don't have the sprint kit, but I'm a big fan of Carbotech/Gloc pads.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:34 AM   #13
Lelandjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
I'm familiar withthe concept, but I'll have to respecively diasgree with your statement in this application. The difference in rotor size is really marginal, you are talking about .17" difference in diameter or about 1.4% larger. You'd likely see more increase using larger pads for more swept area.

And in the end, neither matters, becasue the stock brakes are capable of locking the wheel, so no additional torque is needed for the brake application.

IMO, the change in unsprung weight is the greatest advantage to the AP Sprint kit (on the street).
Yeah, that's a tiny step up in rotor size. I'm used to going up in steps of 20mm but the 17" wheels must be the restriction here. I'd really like to get the full kit with 4 piston calipers but having trouble justifying the cost for my use. I've only put 1300mi on the car this Summer.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:24 PM   #14
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I don't have the sprint kit, but I'm a big fan of Carbotech/Gloc pads.
Thanks for the input.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote