follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeslife View Post
The video clearly shows the edge of the hood above the fender bump or whatever its called. I don't expect you to see the hood vibration. thats why I said look at the EDGE
I can see it clear as day. Like said it is "normal" but can be adjusted out if it really bugs you.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #44
PatSciFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
Same happened to me when I opened her up to 142mph one day early on in ownership. Oops I wasn't on a race track.

Just twist/adjust those little round rubber stops (one under each front corner of hood, on radiator core support) and you'll be good to go. They are each threaded, turn counter clockwise a little to raise each.
Edit 2-6-17...The above task should take less than 5 minutes of your time, two minutes for me.

The hood is made of aluminum, so very flexible, needs to have it's front corners fitting very tight to stops on core support, so it does not flutter at high speeds.

My hood is now just slightly above fenders, both sides, close enough for me.

If that does not satisfy, then adjust hood latch (radiator support area) down a little...just three bolts to loosen, move latch down, then retighten.

These are all basic minor adjustments for a body shop to align things...but any of us can easily do at home.
This is the right answer.
However, looking at the video, it seems that the core supports are already adjusted way high. The hood is too high above the fenders. The latch needs to be adjusted as described above by ToySub1946. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, the dealership garage should do this under warranty since your car is still practically brand new.
PatSciFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatSciFRS For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #45
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The OP does not state whether this car was purchased new ? It is a 2016 model.

Having now seen the video, I can't really tell much beyond what he states. I do not see any fluttering or movement of hood in the video. Assuming both front corners of hood (not seen in video) are each above the fenders, then something is amiss. There is no way this car would have come out of the factory that way.

Either this car has already been in an accident, front end, or, more likely, the hood was damaged in shipping, or on the lot, and has been replaced with a hood from another car. It is quite common for a car Dealership to have a sold car with a damaged hood or trunk lid. To make a sale, they'll switch parts with another same color car. Some times this is unknown to the buyer. Often parts get switched by a mechanic rather than a body shop person.

Does appear hood latch now needs to be adjusted down.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Personal Story: Back in 1993 I bought a new fully loaded Toyota truck, end of model year, great deal. Drove it home, looked over it closely at home. I discovered a small new drilled hole in door jamb area of body. I determined a body shop had drilled the hole to get behind the metal, and repair body of truck, driver's side. A small area of body had been repainted. I called the Dealership asking to unwind the deal. They refused but offered to do repairs to my satisfaction. I also called Toyota parent company. They would do nothing for me. I learned from that experience to check out a new vehicle very carefully before driving it off the lot.

My current car, a 2015 FRS was bought new by me. I'm really anal now. The car had to be trailered from a Dealership 200 miles away...arrived with just 9 miles on the odo.
I told my Dealership I wanted to see the car as shipped, not cleaned, no Dealership emblems or plates on the car. They told me that they required the white plastic be removed so that they could look for dents. So I received, took ownership of the car as I wanted. All the clear plastic still on it's interior, the car not washed since it left the port. Now two years later there's still protective coating on the wheel lugs nuts, but I know that no one else but me has washed the car.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 02-07-2017 at 04:04 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #46
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeslife View Post
How much "jiggling or play" is normal with the FR-S hood?
Anything more than 3x and you're playing with yourself!

:dropmic:

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #47
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,764 Times in 934 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I swear I read the thread title as:

How much" jiggling or play" is normal in the FR-S 'hood