follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2023, 04:54 PM   #15
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssFT86 View Post
Howdy,

I have some clunking noise going on in the rear suspension and want to make sure the top nut below is tightened.

If the coils are already installed in the car, is it safe to just throw a deep socket over the threaded shaft and onto the nut and torque it down to spec? I was thinking that the shaft wouldn't spin due to everything being connected in the car but am not sure.

Alternatively, if it's safer, I'm happy to buy the pass-through sockets. I don't understand where to "hold" the threaded part though. There is a small allen key on top of the threaded part but that's for adjusting the damper and doesn't seem like the right thing to hold.
Try tightening it as-is with a wrench or deep socket first, there is hopefully enough resistance on the shaft that you can just snug it up.

If the shaft does rotate, get two jam nuts and tighten them against each other with some space above that main nut. Now you have something to grip with a wrench to hold it still. Then just turn the jam nuts opposite each other to release them.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-03-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 06:35 AM   #16
bdtbdtbdt

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To hold the shaft while I torqued the top nut. I wrapped the shaft with 4 layers of duct tape, then placed a worm drive hose clamp around the tape and tightened. I held the clamp with BARELY TIGHT vise grips. Worked great. Be very careful not to damage the shaft in any manner!!
bdtbdtbdt is offline   Reply With Quote