follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #15
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Random thought: Megan control arms makes me wonder if this was drifted, and possibly has more steering available than stock. I only say this because I rarely see Megan parts on track cars, but often in drift builds. Could be way off.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:21 AM   #16
Pizzachicken

Drives: Asphalt '16 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
How difficult was replacing the fender liners? Or, if you had a body shop do it, how much was it?
The liners are straightforwardly simple. Just have to take off the wheel and it's held in place by a handful of plastic rivets, reverse steps to install new one. Maximal Performance sells them for $80 shipped and includes the rivets too. Didn't bother from a dealer cause the shipping was more than their part price and excluded the clips, perhaps you'll have better luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Pizzachicken: After all, one should be able to put even snow chains on. Yet you ripped liner. Are you completely sure there was nothing ever moded on it? For example, my tires slightly rubbed liner when i dialed in max camber i could at topmount camberplates. Stock car has rather shallow max steering angle, so some mod bits in front suspension (eg. different inner tie rod ends (also by Megan )) to increase max steering angle for drift use. As there were megan LCAs in rear, imho there is high chance for that to not be only aftermarket suspension part. I'd compare height and max steering angle with another twin that has known stock front suspension.
Well as far as I was able to observe, the only thing that I noticed out of the ordinary in the front was a red sway bar(?), and some scrubbing along the inner FL tire and wheel. Not sure what this means. Haven't had another stock car to compare with, but steering wheel at lock seems to be on point with pictures I've seen online. I added some duct tape to the missing liner portion to see if my tire would scrub at it but it didn't seem to do so - or at least not under pressure, did not want to try any more donuts . I'll attach some pictures of what I was able to get, if anyone cares for a look.
Attached Images

Pizzachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizzachicken For This Useful Post:
qcbaker (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 02:03 AM   #17
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From what i notice aftermarket in these pic, red swaybar, camberbolt in lower hole (and hard to make what bolt in upper. If i see right, it looks of similar size to lower bolt (14mm), thus possibly OE 14mm bolt relocated to top (16mm) hole) and steel braided brake lines. But i might be wrong)
But there are several things i cannot tell from these pics, eg. what are bushings in control arm, what is alignment, what is max steering angle, if some part isn't modified in place i don't see (eg. slotting of strut, cut/rewelded something). And also i'm not too skillful to tell for sure about other parts i see here, if those are stock or not.

Imho worth to take to dealership, tell about rubbing issue & ask them to check alignment AND geometry (in case if car had been in frontal accident and has something bent out of shape in front/front suspension).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 AM   #18
bdtbdtbdt

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Check that you con't have any missing or loose plastic rivets on your inner fender liner. I had the exact rub marks caused by the thin plastic liner blowing back at highway speeds and rubbing the wheel.
bdtbdtbdt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdtbdtbdt For This Useful Post:
qcbaker (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #19
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oh. bdtbdtbdt's post above sounds very possible. Somehow didn't thought about such possibility . Actually have higher chance of probability then suspension mods for higher steering angle or unrepaired frontal crash damage imho.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
qcbaker (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #20
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzachicken View Post
The liners are straightforwardly simple. Just have to take off the wheel and it's held in place by a handful of plastic rivets, reverse steps to install new one. Maximal Performance sells them for $80 shipped and includes the rivets too. Didn't bother from a dealer cause the shipping was more than their part price and excluded the clips, perhaps you'll have better luck.
Thanks mate, appreciate the info. I'll probably get these and replace them at some point soon.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #21
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
There are camber bolts in both strut holes BTW, not a bad thing you'll get good front camber out of it.

Not sure I would take it to a dealer, you'd probably lose all the awesome front camber you have, try to keep it at -2 no matter what dealer you go to.

I believe I've heard that the front subframe can shift causing a camber mismatch and other issues, maybe a good alignment that knows how to check that is all you need.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote