follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
BryanGT

Drives: WRD BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
How much did it cost?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
It appears to be $450 from the shop he ordered it from.

OP is extremely abusive with his punctuation.

Last edited by BryanGT; 03-27-2013 at 04:48 PM.
BryanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've always had good luck with Megan exhausts in the past. Great sound, nice performance, and nice quality.. overall a fantastic value. BUT. I wouldn't keep that exhaust. I would return it for sure.

Still for only $450.. if it cost another $100 to have a shop cut and reweld in two places it probably still winds up being a nice value.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
ajrcow

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had bad experience with Megan's exhaust. I would stay away from it.
ajrcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
srt4_night_rider

Drives: FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
After MeganRacing said that this was normal, I did send them an email back saying that I would probably be taking this exhaust off my car and that i was going to spread the word of this clearance issue. I also stated that i hope others bring this to their attention and that they make a change to the design in the future. They then responded with a few things for me to do to try and get it to hang higher. Nothing that worked but I can say i am very impressed with their customer service, although i would be even more impressed if they told me they would pay to have it fixed locally for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu5892001 View Post
I have never been a fan of megan racing product. Although everything they have is significantly cheaper than similar alternatives but you get what you pay for. Hope everything sorts out!
That is true that you get what you pay for, but there are not many single exit exhaust this style on the market so i took a shot at it. Live and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
I've always had good luck with Megan exhausts in the past. Great sound, nice performance, and nice quality.. overall a fantastic value. BUT. I wouldn't keep that exhaust. I would return it for sure.

Still for only $450.. if it cost another $100 to have a shop cut and reweld in two places it probably still winds up being a nice value.

I do agree once i get the clearance issue fixed i still wont have that much money into the exhaust and i will have something i am very happy with.
srt4_night_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
It really is strange how low the pipe is, and even stranger that they confirmed that is normal. Like you said in an earlier post, it's like the flange was welded at the wrong angle or something.

I like your idea of cutting off the flange & rotating the unit until the pipe is raised/tucked under and then re-welding the flange. But you really shouldn't have to do that with a brand new exhaust.
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
srt4_night_rider

Got this email from MeganRacing today. I am just not quite sure what they are referring to or what they are trying to say...

Greetings Max,

Attached are photos from the final stages of development on this car. Please note the potential clearance issues of bringing the exhaust path routing further upwards and maintaining the final angle of the muffler at the rear.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
Tansey86

Drives: 2003 Subaru Outback
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think they are saying that they tried to have that low hanging portion of the exhaust be tucked up higher, but in doing so, while keep the same exit angle, it caused fitment issues with the chassis.

I think a simple solution would be just have the exhaust exit on the driver side, then people would argue the car is biased in weight towards the left side.

Thats what I got out of it anyway.
Tansey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
whitejdm

Drives: BRZ prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4_night_rider View Post
Got this email from MeganRacing today. I am just not quite sure what they are referring to or what they are trying to say...

Greetings Max,

Attached are photos from the final stages of development on this car. Please note the potential clearance issues of bringing the exhaust path routing further upwards and maintaining the final angle of the muffler at the rear.

Haha I think that is a nice way of saying "see! If we designed this properly the muffler wouldn't have that sick exit angle, and thusly, would no longer be 'drift spec' "

I usually think megan's products are alright for the price, but in this case the design is clearly flawed.
whitejdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
garf
Great Member

Drives: raven, baught 8-29-12, manual
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
man I'd love to see a video to hear the sound!fitment issues aside if it sounds good i got cash in hand
garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #24
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Any progress on the video?
6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
And that's why I love my buddy club spec II, and yes I know the tip doesn't look beautiful still ain't bad
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #26
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4_night_rider View Post
Well i recieved it today so of course i went ahead and slapped that bad boy on. Let me first of say that this is the best sounding exhaust i have heard on a FR-S yet!!!!!!!!!!!!! You get nothing but that boxer engine rumble that is just pure sex. There is no rasp or rattle or spits or sputters. Hands down i am in love with this exhaust tone. Also the car has a little more pep in its step! If i slam this thing into second it will spin the tires pretty good now, before i would just get a little chirp
not to be a douche but I'm really curious to see a dyno and a sound clip now as I'm not sure how a catback would give the car nothing but a like boxer rumble sound when the rumble comes from the header being unequal

Also I think the wheel spinning is all in your head cause a catback does not make that much power

Hopefully you got the low hanging issue fixed tho cause that deff looks like scrape city
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
srt4_night_rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-Shift View Post
Any progress on the video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by garf View Post
man I'd love to see a video to hear the sound!fitment issues aside if it sounds good i got cash in hand
I have a couple clips on my phone, but I don't have a camera of my own. Might splurge and buy a gopro next week.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
6-Shift
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Raven, Drifty things
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
not to be a douche but I'm really curious to see a dyno and a sound clip now as I'm not sure how a catback would give the car nothing but a like boxer rumble sound when the rumble comes from the header being unequal
I would think that difference has to do with having the single pipe. Even though it's still an equal length header having a single pipe makes the sound a little more direct. I love the sound of single exhausts on EL boxer engines, it's not completely smooth but still doesn't sound like a fucked up idle (i.e. UEL header).
6-Shift is offline   Reply With Quote