follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Weird hmmming noise when turning??

Hello,

I have a 13 AT brz and noticed recently that whenever I make a sharp turn(steering wheel maxed out) that theres a weird hmming noise coming from the front of the car. This only started happening after I rotated my tires and after changing the fluid in my rear diff. I thought it might be a rubbing issue with the tires in the front but I checked and nothing was rubbing. I even raised my car .5 inches to see if the sound would go away. Unfortunately, it didnt

Any suggestions on what I try before taking it into my mechanic?

Some small specs about my car,
lowered about 1.5 all around on coilovers. 17x9 rims. Was lowered 1.5 inches for 3 months and never heard this hmming sound until recently.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Alfr-s

Drives: Scion Fr-s and Honda civic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
On cold starts?
Alfr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfr-s For This Useful Post:
congee (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,847 Times in 16,435 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So, does it hmmm when the car is running, but not moving (after turning the wheel to max). .... ??

Is it like an electrical motor hmmmm .. ??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
congee (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
congee

It only hmmmms when I turn the wheel at max. It sounds louder when I turn left compared to when I turn right. Also, most of the time, it hmms when I turn and give it gas. If I roll into a turn, its a hit or miss with the sound.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
RandomDeception

Drives: Stock FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If it's not your wheel wells, then could it possibly be the front bumper scraping the ground with the momentum of the turn that causes the car to slightly tilt?
RandomDeception is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RandomDeception For This Useful Post:
congee (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post
It only hmmmms when I turn the wheel at max. It sounds louder when I turn left compared to when I turn right. Also, most of the time, it hmms when I turn and give it gas. If I roll into a turn, its a hit or miss with the sound.
Allow me to ask again:

Does it hmmm when the car is running, but not moving (after turning the wheel to max). .... ??

@congee, I'm trying to see if it may be the electric power steering motor making the sound ..... ??

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
congee (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
congee

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Allow me to ask again:

Does it hmmm when the car is running, but not moving (after turning the wheel to max). .... ??

@congee, I'm trying to see if it may be the electric power steering motor making the sound ..... ??

humfrz
Nope, only when the car is in motion while turning. I tried moving the steering wheel while it was stationed and I could hear the motor run a little louder but not the same "hmming" sound I hear when I make a sharp turn. I did a bit a research and it might be the wheel bearing that is going bad? Everything else feels fine. No vibrations or studdering. Just that weird hmming sound that sounds like something is rubbing from the inside
Old 09-08-2015, 12:09 AM   #8
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by congee View Post
................... I did a bit a research and it might be the wheel bearing that is going bad? Everything else feels fine......
Well now, congee ...... you might be onto something, with suspecting a bad wheel bearing.

Back in the day, we could take off the wheel, remove the spindle nut, take out the bearing and race and an inspection of the spindle, bearing and race would show any problem. Yep, clean them up, re-pack the bearing (or replace them), put it together and tighten down the nut till the wheel was a bit hard to turn and then back off to the nearest place where the cotter pin would fit through the nut and spindle, tap the grease cap back on, re-mount the wheel and have a glass of iced tea …..

Someone just shoot me .......

Now days, I'd just take it up to the fellows at the garage in town and say ..... my car is making funny noises when I turn, please fix it. Then have a cigarette, a cup of coffee and read a car magazine.......

humfrz
Old 09-08-2015, 12:29 AM   #9
bottle

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Try some other diagnostics to help isolate the issue.

Does it make the sound in neutral? Does it make the sound with the clutch pedal depressed? (while turning of course).

For me, I diagnosed my noise a while back, it would only happen when the clutch was engaged and accelerating/ keep constant speed. In neutral/ clutch in/ deceleration there was no noise during turning. I isolated it to the rear diff and changed my fluid. The noise was still there slightly but it was much more quite after the flush and went away completely once the car was driven a few km.

However, mine was a "woom.. woom.. woom..." noise, not so much a hummmmmm.

I would say check your wheel bearings as well, but if it's happening turning left and right so suddenly I'd cross those off your list.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote