follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
slyphen

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to slyphen Send a message via Yahoo to slyphen
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoken View Post
I have the same problem , except mines a 2015 RS1.0 so I am not even eligible for the TSB since apparently mine already has the fix.

The sound has reduced over time and right now its not noticeable for me. The sound goes away if you just slightly adjust the shifter. The technicians said its nothing to worry about but idk , if the noise comes back again and its really loud I will go there and rant.
i got something scheduled and will let u guys know once they figure out what it is.
slyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slyphen For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-15-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #16
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have a 2015 Series.Rattle with the same issue. Mine doesn't make any noise until above 4-5k RPM. It's been there since I bought the car. Hasn't gotten any worse, or any better. Never got around to pulling the shifter trim off and poking around, but this thread makes me think it won't be as simple as finding a loose screw or something.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #17
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I have a 2015 Series.Rattle with the same issue. Mine doesn't make any noise until above 4-5k RPM. It's been there since I bought the car. Hasn't gotten any worse, or any better. Never got around to pulling the shifter trim off and poking around, but this thread makes me think it won't be as simple as finding a loose screw or something.
yep same. they swapped my shift lever assembly and the rattle got worse. i'll keep u guys updated.
Ultramaroon (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #18
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
In to see if we can figure out what's rattling. My car did this stock, after installing trd quickshifter, after removing the TRD quick shifter, and now with a kartboy. It's noticeably louder with the kartboy than it was on stock shifter, but happens under same conditions (high rpm, any gear). Going to do some testing after the holidays with the center console out and everything apart to see if I can isolate the noise.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #19
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
In to see if we can figure out what's rattling. My car did this stock, after installing trd quickshifter, after removing the TRD quick shifter, and now with a kartboy. It's noticeably louder with the kartboy than it was on stock shifter, but happens under same conditions (high rpm, any gear). Going to do some testing after the holidays with the center console out and everything apart to see if I can isolate the noise.
Yah I was gonna do that too. But they told me a subie engineer is gonna look at it so I'll leave it to them since they got the drawings and all. After they swapped in the new shifter lever assy. It got significantly louder. It is fairly consistent when the rattle start (4k rpm). It is worse at the low slots 2/4/6 than 1/3/5.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
xxBrun0xx (12-22-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #20
Lord09

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've tried nearly everything as well. So I'll chronicle my experiences and perhaps it may help others.

1. 2015 shifter starts immediately ( didn't notice because kept it under 4000 RPM during the break in ).
2. Added TRD Quick Shifter, still rattles but less.
3. Forum search indicated the reverse lockout may possibly be the cause. Purchased Raceseng reverse lockout and installed. Still rattles.
4. Forum search also indicates the reverse lockout internal spring and bushing between the lever and reverse lockout may be the cause. I grease the hell out of them and with the Raceseng reverse lockout, there's no play between the bushings and shift lever. Still rattles.
5. Frustrated and consumed with OCD to eliminate the rattle, I try a Kartboy shifter. Rattles even more.
6. When I removed the stock shifter, I noticed how solid it is. If you try to shake it or tap it, there's no rattles and nothing is loose. I'm a bit confused on what could be causing the rattle, but I notice at the very bottom of the shift lever, where the lever attaches to the transmission arm with a pin, there's two solid nylon bushings and a rubber o-ring sandwiched between the two. The o-ring appears to be worn out.
7. Suspecting the o-ring and bushings, I purchase a used shift lever. When it arrives it appears to be in good shape and the o-ring and bushing look okay. Installed and no rattle! Also I've left the Kartboy rear bushing in since I liked how it removed some slop during shifting. Removed the TRD quick shifter since didn't notice a huge difference and it worked its way loose even with blue loctite.
8. Unfortunately ~100 or so miles in I'm developing a rattle at 6000+, which I could live with since my old shifter would rattle at 4000+, which is a range I'm always in.
9. OCD still in full force and out of curiosity I purchase a new set of nylon bushings and a o-ring and install it into my original shift lever, also as a test to determine the root cause of the rattle. I also grease everything heavily, to my amazement no rattle at any RPM. It's only been about 500 miles, so I'm still crossing my fingers.

Also, I've recently installed a Whiteline Positive Shift Kit and still rattle free.

Current setup:
Kartboy Shifter Bushing
Whiteline Positive Shift Kit
Raceseng Reverse Lockout
Raceseng Spherology Shift Knob

TL;DR - Try changing out the nylon bushings and rubber o-ring at the base of the shift lever and grease everything thoroughly. While I have the modifications listed above, I don't believe they prevent the shift lever from rattling, though I could definitely be wrong. My curiosity is satisfied, so enough experimenting for me!

Last edited by Lord09; 12-15-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Lord09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord09 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (12-15-2015), ScoobsMcGee (12-15-2015), slyphen (12-15-2015), tato.valverde (06-06-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord09 View Post
I've tried nearly everything as well. So I'll chronicle my experiences and perhaps it may help others.

1. 2015 shifter starts immediately ( didn't notice because kept it under 4000 RPM during the break in ).
2. Added TRD Quick Shifter, still rattles but less.
3. Forum search indicated the reverse lockout may possibly be the cause. Purchased Raceseng reverse lockout and installed. Still rattles.
4. Forum search also indicates the reverse lockout internal spring and bushing between the lever and reverse lockout may be the cause. I grease the hell out of them and with the Raceseng reverse lockout, there's no play between the bushings and shift lever. Still rattles.
5. Frustrated and consumed with OCD to eliminate the rattle, I try a Kartboy shifter. Rattles even more.
6. When I removed the stock shifter, I noticed how solid it is. If you try to shake it or tap it, there's no rattles and nothing is loose. I'm a bit confused on what could be causing the rattle, but I notice at the very bottom of the shift lever, where the lever attaches to the transmission arm with a pin, there's two solid nylon bushings and a rubber o-ring sandwiched between the two. The o-ring appears to be worn out.
7. Suspecting the o-ring and bushings, I purchase a used shift lever. When it arrives it appears to be in good shape and the o-ring and bushing look okay. Installed and no rattle! Also I've left the Kartboy rear bushing in since I liked how it removed some slop during shifting. Removed the TRD quick shifter since didn't notice a huge difference and it worked its way loose even with blue loctite.
8. Unfortunately ~100 or so miles in I'm developing a rattle at 6000+, which I could live with since my old shifter would rattle at 4000+, which is a range I'm always in.
9. OCD still in full force and out of curiosity I purchase a new set of nylon bushings and a o-ring and install it into my original shift lever, also as a test to determine the root cause of the rattle. I also grease everything heavily, to my amazement no rattle at any RPM. It's only been about 500 miles, so I'm still crossing my fingers.

Also, I've recently installed a Whiteline Positive Shift Kit and still rattle free.

Current setup:
Kartboy Shifter Bushing
Whiteline Positive Shift Kit
Raceseng Reverse Lockout
Raceseng Spherology Shift Knob

TL;DR - Try changing out the nylon bushings and rubber o-ring at the base of the shift lever and grease everything thoroughly. While I have the modifications listed above, I don't believe they prevent the shift lever from rattling, though I could definitely be wrong. My curiosity is satisfied, so enough experimenting for me!
Just got a call from the dealers, they told me they fixed the problem by replacing an O-ring. we will see, cuz they got it fixed every time the last 3 times. picking her up in a few hours.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #22
slyphen

Garage
just got the car back and drove around. rattle has been significantly suppressed. Although you can still tell the reminiscence of the rattle, it is more dampen and less noticeable. I can actually enjoy hearing the engine rev without being annoyed to hell by the shifter now.

Below are logs provided by subaru.
317611 gear shift rod &/or bushing R&R
1 - 35025CA000 Collar
1 - 35035CA020 Bushing O Ring
1 - 35016CA020 Boot Dust

"Verified customers concern, there was a vibration coming from the shifter assembly above 4000 rpms. removed the center console, shifter assembly. installed a new o-ring in-between the lower shifter bushings and reassembled. test drove vehicle and no more rattle was heard."
Old 01-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #23
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyphen View Post
just got the car back and drove around. rattle has been significantly suppressed. Although you can still tell the reminiscence of the rattle, it is more dampen and less noticeable. I can actually enjoy hearing the engine rev without being annoyed to hell by the shifter now.

Below are logs provided by subaru.
317611 gear shift rod &/or bushing R&R
1 - 35025CA000 Collar
1 - 35035CA020 Bushing O Ring
1 - 35016CA020 Boot Dust

"Verified customers concern, there was a vibration coming from the shifter assembly above 4000 rpms. removed the center console, shifter assembly. installed a new o-ring in-between the lower shifter bushings and reassembled. test drove vehicle and no more rattle was heard."
Btw if you have a Kartboy you need to use 2 o rings not just the one that's already on the car it's a super tight fit but no shakes or rattles for me, and I did test it with just one o ring and it rattles exactly like everyone describes, with 2 nothing no sound at all. They should have gave you 2 o rings in the kit so you should have still had an extra one assuming you re used the OEM o ring.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _gt86_user For This Useful Post:
slyphen (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #24
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Follow-up question: How hard would this be to do myself?
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #25
Lord09

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You have to jack up the car and take apart the center console. If you've never worked on cars before, I think this would be very challenging.

If you have experience, it's very straightforward. Just be careful removing the lower shifter boot, it's very very fragile.
Lord09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #26
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Follow-up question: How hard would this be to do myself?
It's easy, don't need to jack up the car but I can say that if you can get under there to unclip the shifter its way easier than trying it sitting in the drivers seat.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:06 AM   #27
slyphen

Garage
Tbh, it still rattles, just not as much. I'm gonna take your advice and see if they can put in a 2nd o-ring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2016, 01:18 AM   #28
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hmm.. not sure if I have this issue on mine, or if what im about to describe is similar.

But my shifter definitely vibrates quite a bit. I have a weighted shift knob on it now so it doesnt actually rattle enough to make noise. But I remember when I first swapped my reverse lockout (to an aluminum one), I didn't hit the pin back in enough and even that rattled loose. The lockout was also a noisy mofo as it rattled.

With that pin in tight and the weighted knob screwed down real well, I haven't had any noticeable noise from the shifter. I still feel plenty of vibrations through it when I hold on to it though, but I figured thats normal since it is connected to the engine...
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote