follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
A good portion of the BRS owners were not even out of elementary school 12 years ago...

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
I don't need the constant reminder of how old I am lol. I wish I were in elementary school 12 years ago!
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #16
JamesBond000
First Class Speeder

Drives: Silent and Quick
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Well its at 29k miles i bought it at 25k i might be clueless maybe in a different aspect :p. This thing aint no knife in butter unless the car has been sitting in the sun over 95 degree weather and i head out for work. That is when i feel the smooth. At night in 60+ degree weather the car is way different on the shifting of gears. To be honest i would not think a big thing of it on the norm...but this car is my baby. I strive for the best i can get for it. Scouring these forums for information and listening to everyone's opinions and weighing in on their input and making the best decisions. After all gotta learn from somewhere.
JamesBond000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond000 View Post
Well its at 29k miles i bought it at 25k i might be clueless maybe in a different aspect :p. This thing aint no knife in butter unless the car has been sitting in the sun over 95 degree weather and i head out for work. That is when i feel the smooth. At night in 60+ degree weather the car is way different on the shifting of gears. To be honest i would not think a big thing of it on the norm...but this car is my baby. I strive for the best i can get for it. Scouring these forums for information and listening to everyone's opinions and weighing in on their input and making the best decisions. After all gotta learn from somewhere.
Since you are at 30k anyway you are due for a trans and diffy change anyway. Might as well upgrade to the Motul Gear 300 and call it a day.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #18
JamesBond000
First Class Speeder

Drives: Silent and Quick
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
Since you are at 30k anyway you are due for a trans and diffy change anyway. Might as well upgrade to the Motul Gear 300 and call it a day.

-Mike Paisan

Yea prior owners...(HighwayStar Garage) they were rough on this puppy lol
JamesBond000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesBond000 For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (09-07-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #19
imom

Drives: BRZ sold
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I suggest you use MTF2 and get 3 liters...you only need 2.2 liters from what I remember. Leave the stock differential oil and just change the tranny oil. If you read the threads on tranny oil and viscosity you will see MTF2 is thin and if you wait a few mintues for your motor and tranny oil to get warm before driving, the shifting will be a lot better.

Unless you plan to run the car hard...why go with thicker oil that makes it harder for the synchros to get lubricated? I believe you will see bigger improvements with shifting with MTF2 versus Motul. I had MTL prior and in the tranny and Motul still in the diff. If I do it again...I just do MTF2 in the tranny.
imom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #20
imom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
adjusting the clutch master pushrod should be done first to address any 1-2 shift issues prior to messing with the oil. You don't want to mask a dragging clutch disc with gear oil that makes the synchro's work harder/wear faster
JP can you please elaborate more on this? How do you adjust the push rod? It's the first time I've heard of this and I'm intrigue about the process and how it addresses the 2nd gear shifting. I am saying this in a respectful if you don't read it as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
the box is really smooth actually with a properly adjusted clutch. The gears click positively into each gate
-Get under the dash
-place a texta mark lengthways on the clutch master pushrod shaft for visual reference.
-loosen the locknut at the end of the pushrod near the back of the pedal arm with an open ended spanner
-turn the shaft 1/2 to 1 turn outwards from the pedal to effectively lengthen the shaft
-tighten the locknut
-Go for a drive and be amazed at how much better the shift is

I found this post, but can you please explain in detail...so I loosen the nut, but which direction am I turning shaft? so am I turning counterclockwise or clockwise direction of the shaft? Be real cool if you there's a good video or concise instructions. Maybe it's easiest if I go ahead and do it...but I rather get clear instructions and not mess up. Thanks

Last edited by imom; 09-08-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:43 AM   #21
imom

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=clutch+pedal

BTW JP...are you referring to you this link above? That only adjust the pedal height adjustment... in theory it's not supposed to do anything better for the shifting quality going from 1st to 2nd will it? Just like for you to clarify what you meant whether it's the height adjustment or another adjustment?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #22
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
I think my count of local cars that the pushrod adjustment has completely fixed the shifting issues is up to 8 now, with no need to change the oil.

I'm not sure how to explain the adjustment procedure any clearer than my post above you have quoted. If you adjust it the wrong way, shortening the clutch master pushrod, it will make the shift worse as the clutch plate will drag more in the shifts.

It only needs minimal adjustment to provide the additional hydraulic throw, with the thread pitch of the pushrod you're getting ~1.5mm of length adjustment for each revolution. On all the car's I've done they've typically needed no more than one turn, but others have reported up to 2 turns has made a massive improvement to the shift. I prefer to do multiple small adjustments rather than one big adjustment, as if you do it too far you risk leaving the hydraulic system engaged and will burn out the throwout bearing/fingers on the pressure plate prematurely or end up with a slipping clutch.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #23
cantholdanymore

Drives: FR-S Very Hot Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond000 View Post
Mine is 10K and no butter here. I did the right think at around 6k and took it to the dealer. They changed the oil and said everything is as specified. It is actually a little stiffer now than before (but just a little).
cantholdanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cantholdanymore For This Useful Post:
JamesBond000 (09-12-2014)