follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2020, 04:01 AM   #29
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's more for flashing back to stock temporarily when bringing the car in to dealership without having a check engine light to guarantee to light up. I do plan to tune the car with the header
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #30
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
It's more for flashing back to stock temporarily when bringing the car in to dealership without having a check engine light to guarantee to light up. I do plan to tune the car with the header
What are going to the dealership for? Most procedure don’t require ECU changes or updates. If you are modding you will always be putting your warranty at risk to some degree. I am personally past that point now, so I tell them I am tuned and please do not touch the ecu. Most dealerships I have will work with you as long as they can make some money.

Just flashing back to stock won’t hide things if you have an aftermarket header that can be seen. Subie dealerships know the cars can be heavily modified. The one I go to has some enthusiasts that work there and they have hooked me up more than once (told what I should do instead of paying them to do it).
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #31
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
Flashing back to stock is only needed if you're trying to get engine work covered under warranty.

If a mod does not impact a warranty claim (i.e. you have a rust spot under the car that needs warranty coverage), the dealer won't care. If they do, remind them that a valid warranty claim is free money for them and good business for the two of you.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #32
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
What are going to the dealership for? Most procedure don’t require ECU changes or updates. If you are modding you will always be putting your warranty at risk to some degree. I am personally past that point now, so I tell them I am tuned and please do not touch the ecu. Most dealerships I have will work with you as long as they can make some money.

Just flashing back to stock won’t hide things if you have an aftermarket header that can be seen. Subie dealerships know the cars can be heavily modified. The one I go to has some enthusiasts that work there and they have hooked me up more than once (told what I should do instead of paying them to do it).
Aren't rom updates part of maintenance visits? My reasoning is that if it was, then it would be better for me to put it back to stock to ensure there are no issues with them updating and have them blame any bricking of sorts on my custom flash. The service manager i spoke with after purchasing my car did say they will work on modded cars but i'm not sure if flashed ecu crosses the line for them either so I am a bit reluctant to test that.
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #33
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Imho it depends on dealership you visit to. My '2014 during numerous regular maintenance visits never had ecu tune updated even once throughout 5+ years, still carrying original tune (even if it was known to have problems with transient ignition retard damaging injector seals fixed in later revisions).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #34
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Whats on mine. 3" no drone. (Hi-Power V2)

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote