follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #43
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Just the base WRX with some added accessories (short shifter, fog lights, might add the rear lip spoiler). I don't like leather and I don't like sunroofs

The only thing that sucks is that the only way to get the push button start with proximity sensor on the WRX is to buy the Limited model with the NAV/HK audio package upgrade...
I think that's the way to go man.

I'm still kicking this around in my head. I'm trying to get out of my "next best thing" habit. I'm really struggling here.
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #44
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMoon View Post
I think that's the way to go man.

I'm still kicking this around in my head. I'm trying to get out of my "next best thing" habit. I'm really struggling here.
Then don't talk to me

Honestly, if the BRZ had the backseat room I needed I would still be driving it and would be happy. That said, AWD ruined me this past winter. I don't see myself not having it now for a daily driver. If the 2015 is 80-90% of the handling the BRZ is with the turbo engine for power and AWD for winter I am done with cars for at least 5 years.

I would still love a used BRZ/FR-S down the road for a fun car. Lightweight RWD kicks ass, period.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #45
overlookedx

Drives: 2015 WRB Limited
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes. The BRZ ruined me.. I really like the 2014 WRX in terms of power, practicality, snow/rain, etc but the sloppy handling/body roll means the handling is just not there for me. I was in the process of pricing out and upgrading the handling to include things like front and rear sway bars and end links, springs, inserts or coilovers, proper alignment, etc. At the end of the day we are talking close to $2K of upgrades or more installed. When the 15's came out it appears Subaru really learned from the BRZ and greatly improved the handling and suspension of the 2015. I started pricing the 2015's and a dealer gave me a very good trade-in on my car and a really good deal on the new car (just above invoice). I am out about $1500-1800 total to switch from the 2014 to the 2015 and that includes taxes, etc.

Instead of dumping that much or more into a 2014 I thought I would start over with a better chassis to begin with. I was not expecting the dealers here to be as aggressive as they were with 2015's, and my car being the last year of the hatches with only 2200 miles on it really helped with the trade-in.

If you factor in the upgraded interior and the turbo FA20 (better MPG vs the EJ series engine) it makes it a good deal for me. Still not sold on the exterior styling and hate that I am giving up the hatch...
I feel you on some of those points. I got a ride along in a '15 Sti and was really impressed. Even though it has the EJ engine still, the suspension has been substantially improved. That said, I wasn't impressed with the interior, looks the same to me.

I'd be thinking about doing the same thing you are if I wasn't so lucky in finding my 2011 WRX Limited. So far I'm loving the Limited features and trading it in for a base model that costs more doesn't make sense to me right now.

Looking forward to your review of the 2015.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #46
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Quote:
Then don't talk to me

Honestly, if the BRZ had the backseat room I needed I would still be driving it and would be happy. That said, AWD ruined me this past winter. I don't see myself not having it now for a daily driver. If the 2015 is 80-90% of the handling the BRZ is with the turbo engine for power and AWD for winter I am done with cars for at least 5 years.

I would still love a used BRZ/FR-S down the road for a fun car. Lightweight RWD kicks ass, period.
We had a really bad winter in PA. The thing is, it's only like that about every 5 years here. That's my big thing. Plus a lot of my driving is on highways in straight lines. I have a feeling the WRX would be slightly more entertaining.
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #47
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes. The BRZ ruined me.. I really like the 2014 WRX in terms of power, practicality, snow/rain, etc but the sloppy handling/body roll means the handling is just not there for me. I was in the process of pricing out and upgrading the handling to include things like front and rear sway bars and end links, springs, inserts or coilovers, proper alignment, etc. At the end of the day we are talking close to $2K of upgrades or more installed. When the 15's came out it appears Subaru really learned from the BRZ and greatly improved the handling and suspension of the 2015. I started pricing the 2015's and a dealer gave me a very good trade-in on my car and a really good deal on the new car (just above invoice). I am out about $1500-1800 total to switch from the 2014 to the 2015 and that includes taxes, etc.

Instead of dumping that much or more into a 2014 I thought I would start over with a better chassis to begin with. I was not expecting the dealers here to be as aggressive as they were with 2015's, and my car being the last year of the hatches with only 2200 miles on it really helped with the trade-in.
Agree. And even after you spend all that much to upgrade the suspension on the old WRX, you're still stuck with the same steering rack, which lacks feel and has a slow ratio. This was one of my biggest complaints about my old STI hatch, and it's not easily replaceable. The new WRX and STI are supposed to come from the factory with similar steering and turn-in as the Twins, which should be a huge upgrade.

It's a bit of a risk jumping into a new WRX without test-driving, but I can understand where you're coming from. Sometimes it just takes a couple of tries to find what you're looking for. Congrats and let us know your thoughts on the new car!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #48
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsinpa View Post
Can someone break down the main differences I would notice going from a 2013 FR-S to a 2015 STI?

Do you think it would suck as a daily driver?

I haven't really driven any true "super cars".. had a 1992 Celica, 2003 Camry, and now a 2013 FR-S.

The main reason I am looking to get rid of my Scion is it was in a really horrible accident, so I am not wanting to keep a car that already has $10K+ of repairs.
The STI isn't a "true super car" and it will be perfectly fine for a daily driver.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #49
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Agree. And even after you spend all that much to upgrade the suspension on the old WRX, you're still stuck with the same steering rack, which lacks feel and has a slow ratio. This was one of my biggest complaints about my old STI hatch, and it's not easily replaceable. The new WRX and STI are supposed to come from the factory with similar steering and turn-in as the Twins, which should be a huge upgrade.

It's a bit of a risk jumping into a new WRX without test-driving, but I can understand where you're coming from. Sometimes it just takes a couple of tries to find what you're looking for. Congrats and let us know your thoughts on the new car!
Thanks man You are spot on with regards to the steering rack. Oh and I have a refundable $500 deposit down and already told the salesman I am driving the car first before I sign the paperwork on the 2015. But I would really be surprised if the 2015 is not a big improvement over the 2014 in terms of handling/suspension based on everything I have read and from the folks who owned the previous model and reported back.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #50
frsinpa

Drives: fr-s!
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The STI isn't a "true super car" and it will be perfectly fine for a daily driver.
Well they say it can hang with cars cost $70-$80K.. i.e. porches, so I guess it depends on your definition of supercar.
frsinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #51
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Whoa cool! I didn't know the "porch" jumped in on the car manufacturing game. I'll have to keep my eye out for those porches with wheels.
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #52
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Why did you have to kill it for me? Man. Back to driving city buses I guess...
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #53
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
While I appreciate the STI/EVO and their ilk, one thing I really appreciate about the BRZ is that it isn't an upgraded family car. The styling isn't based around an economy car with some bolt ons that can't really ever have great lines. Being in a car that was designed and built with one duty in mind really has changed my mind about what cars I'm going to own going forward as "fun" cars.

Take the wing off an STI, CTR, EVO and you just have an Impreza, Civic, and Lancer to most people. While I know there is a LOT more going on underneath the skin of each of those cars you need to know cars to have an inkling there is more than just a wing attached to a Civic. Look at the twins and even non-car people know what it's about.

I would like to replace my wife's xD with an STI wagon when it's ready but I don't think I'll ever park it out in the middle of a parking lot while grocery shopping only to stop in my tracks on the way back out to the car, admiring how the overhead parking light plays off the curves of the molded wheel wells as the sun goes down.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #54
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
The sti is a cool car for what it is. Completely different thing than the BRZ though. As someone who has owned a 2004 and 2008 STI (along with a 1997 and 2002 wrx), I love the do-it-all character of the STI. However, at this point in my life, I can afford to have multiple cars and I can say without a doubt in my mind that the BRZ is a funner car to drive. The STI can go fast(er) but it's not nearly as fun/rewarding on the track or as a DD. I would be surprised at anyone who would pick the STI over the BRZ for a trackday after driving both. It's just so different, not really comparable.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #55
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsinpa View Post
Well they say it can hang with cars cost $70-$80K.. i.e. porches, so I guess it depends on your definition of supercar.
It can't hang with a C6 Z06 or a GT-R both of which were available in that range, and I still don't call those supercars.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #56
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
EJ is the reason I picked up WRX. That twin scroll. :O