follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #3851
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm looking to the "distant" future after feeling like I've outgrown my current suspension. Currently, I'm on a monotube, entry-level damper. I'm looking to move to something I won't grow out of quickly and will not hinder me for NASA TT and other time attack-style events. Car rarely sees the street anymore, so that's not a concern either.

Some other tidbits, rear Voltex type 2 wing, APR 3" front splitter, currently on 200tw tires but want to move to something like the AR-1 or RC-1.

I was looking at MCS 2-way or JRZ but honestly I've been with this suspension for so long, idk much bout how the suspensions at the next level compare pro/con-wise.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #3852
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
I'm looking to the "distant" future after feeling like I've outgrown my current suspension. Currently, I'm on a monotube, entry-level damper. I'm looking to move to something I won't grow out of quickly and will not hinder me for NASA TT and other time attack-style events. Car rarely sees the street anymore, so that's not a concern either.

Some other tidbits, rear Voltex type 2 wing, APR 3" front splitter, currently on 200tw tires but want to move to something like the AR-1 or RC-1.

I was looking at MCS 2-way or JRZ but honestly I've been with this suspension for so long, idk much bout how the suspensions at the next level compare pro/con-wise.
You'll want to identify a few goals and restrictions before looking for a product - regulations, budget, level of experience with dialing in components, etc.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #3853
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey CSG and RCE, any idea what this clip is, and the 2 rubber pieces behind it? These fell out of my dustboots while I was diagnosing a rubbing sound from the front struts after I installed lowering springs. I have no idea how they go back in. Every schematic I've seen doesn't show these items as part of the struts or in the dustboot at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:17 AM   #3854
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter X View Post

Hey CSG and RCE, any idea what this clip is, and the 2 rubber pieces behind it? These fell out of my dustboots while I was diagnosing a rubbing sound from the front struts after I installed lowering springs. I have no idea how they go back in. Every schematic I've seen doesn't show these items as part of the struts or in the dustboot at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look like suspension spacers for transportation.

They shouldn't have still been on the vehicle when it was delivered to you.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #3855
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePower View Post

They do kinda look like that. I don't recognize them otherwise.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #3856
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePower View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
They do kinda look like that. I don't recognize them otherwise.

- Andrew

I suspected this as well! I left them out when I put it all back together. Unsurprisingly, the rubbing sound was gone and the ride improved!
Thanks for your input!
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #3857
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
That's good!

- Andrew
Good!

The car was feeling a little off, so I took it back in and the settings were off from my may alignment. I waited 2 weeks after installing RCE yellows.

Is that normal for this platform? Seems odd to go that far out in 3 months.
Attached Images

RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #3858
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Good!

The car was feeling a little off, so I took it back in and the settings were off from my may alignment. I waited 2 weeks after installing RCE yellows.

Is that normal for this platform? Seems odd to go that far out in 3 months.
Rear toe sometimes shifts a bit which is one of the problems I have with the factory rear toe adjuster. Front toe shouldn't change if everything is torqued correctly but that happens.

Looks a lot better now.

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (08-11-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #3859
nwgabrz

Drives: BRZ Limited
Quote:
Sorry missed this!

For coilovers around $1k, Bilstein B14.

A little over $1k is Bilstein B6 dampers + RCE Yellow springs. Not coilovers but really nice for a DD.

If you can stretch to $1500, RCE SS1 coilovers.

- Andrew
In the $1,500 range, I see there's the RCE SS1 like you said, and the CSG-Spec Flex A, and the Cusco Street Zero A. What are the differences? Is it mainly the spring rate and dampening? Do each have special features that the others don't (ie. H.B.S.)? Are they are comparable to each other? The purpose would be for street driving/daily driving/comfort. Would the SS1 be best in this class?

Thanks for the help!
nwgabrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #3860
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgabrz View Post
In the $1,500 range, I see there's the RCE SS1 like you said, and the CSG-Spec Flex A, and the Cusco Street Zero A. What are the differences? Is it mainly the spring rate and dampening? Do each have special features that the others don't (ie. H.B.S.)? Are they are comparable to each other? The purpose would be for street driving/daily driving/comfort. Would the SS1 be best in this class?

Thanks for the help!
Common question!

I don't have much experience with the Teins or the Cuscos.

I did a lot of the testing for the RCE SS1s and ran them on my car for a while. IMO the SS1s are an excellent all around road & track type coilover at any price point.

Things I really like about them:
1. The camber plates are very good. Sealed beefy bearing on the bottom, almost entirely noise free, and a lowering design that gives you more bump travel at a given ride height.
2. Plenty of bump travel, more than stock suspension at a 1 inch drop. Really helps the car do what you want it to do and handle bumps.
3. Good valving AND useful adjustability. Some set ups force you into choosing handling or ride quality. For example, when they're set soft, they don't get crashy over bumps but they're kind of wallowy and bouncy. Set stiff, they're really harsh and bounce off bumps but they do respond quickly. With the SS1s, even on the softer side they're still responsive and fun. Turned up, they're firm but you can still soak up mid corner bumps on the track. You can also use the adjuster to make small handling tweaks (like you're supposed to) without really throwing off the car overall. There are a lot of set ups out there where every setting is too much of a compromise and people can't really find a click that they like.

We're just really happy with the SS1s as a great road & track type coilover at reasonable price.

- Andrew
Old 08-19-2020, 11:13 PM   #3861
TwinFTW

Drives: 17 BRZ w/PP & 08 STI
New to me 2017 BRZ performance pack will be my dedicated weekend car, as my STI will handle daily driver/family hauler duty.

Primary usage will be tight technical California mountain B roads with plenty of off-camber mid corner bumps.

Looking for some help targeting initial neutral alignment settings for a bone stock Performance Pack car with Sachs dampers and Primacys. I'm planning to pick up camber bolts before I take it to my alignment guy.

Once I get more seat time I'll definitely be picking up sticky rubber and control arms if needed. I like plenty of travel in my canyon cars so I doubt I will ever lower it very much.
TwinFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #3862
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinFTW View Post
New to me 2017 BRZ performance pack will be my dedicated weekend car, as my STI will handle daily driver/family hauler duty.

Primary usage will be tight technical California mountain B roads with plenty of off-camber mid corner bumps.

Looking for some help targeting initial neutral alignment settings for a bone stock Performance Pack car with Sachs dampers and Primacys. I'm planning to pick up camber bolts before I take it to my alignment guy.

Once I get more seat time I'll definitely be picking up sticky rubber and control arms if needed. I like plenty of travel in my canyon cars so I doubt I will ever lower it very much.
If only mod is camber bolts, just max out front camber (it won't be too much). Zero toe front, little bit of rear toe in (about 0.1 degrees total).

Have fun!

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
treedodger (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #3863
Yzu

Drives: RS1.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Looking into jumping into new coilovers. I'm currently on Tein street flex, and I feel that I have outgrown the suspension. I do take curbings pretty aggressively.

I'm looking into getting a 2 way adjustable setup. Though I have no idea which. The car no longer sees street duty, I do a fair amount of NASA track days (TT5) with some autox sprinkled in, and I'm going to start running with SCCA TT. I'm interested in doing more track events (Gridlife/GTA/SLB ???) next year around the country as well.

I use Advan A052 tires 255/35/18 on 18x10 wheels. Aero is OEM RS1 aero, Voltex type 12.

Budget: Around $4k.

I'd like to stay away from external reservoirs as I do not want to take the points hit with NASA and would like to stay within confines of TT5, and I don't want to deal with mounting/routing. Also, what concerns me is maintenance intervals for a proper 2 way setup (avg 15-18 track days per season). Some more frequent than others? Ease of sending off to get refreshed/parts availability etc.

Last edited by Yzu; 08-25-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Yzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #3864
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzu View Post
Looking into jumping into new coilovers. I'm currently on Tein street flex, and I feel that I have outgrown the suspension. I do take curbings pretty aggressively.

I'm looking into getting a 2 way adjustable setup. Though I have no idea which. The car no longer sees street duty, I do a fair amount of NASA track days (TT5) with some autox sprinkled in, and I'm going to start running with SCCA TT. I'm interested in doing more track events (Gridlife/GTA/SLB ???) next year around the country as well.

I use Advan A052 tires 255/35/18 on 18x10 wheels. Aero is OEM RS1 aero, Voltex type 12.

Budget: Around $4k.

I'd like to stay away from external reservoirs as I do not want to take the points hit with NASA and would like to stay within confines of TT5, and I don't want to deal with mounting/routing. Also, what concerns me is maintenance intervals for a proper 2 way setup. Some more frequent than others? Ease of sending off to get refreshed/parts availability etc.
Why do you think you need 2-way adjustables?

IMO internal doubles you're compromising on valving versus getting someone to build you a shock with double digressive singles/true 1 way shock that matches the spring rate you're running. That and you'll save money

If you want a truly motorsport grade 2 way internal, you're looking at Penske and $10k+

I love my MCS shocks, don't get me wrong (They're 2-way remotes which is it's own issue with TT5 points) but I would never dare to run their 2-way internals. Their OTS valving is far from ideal and even trying to narrow in on a revalve you make compromises (not to mention you spend more money). I'll most likely sell off these shocks to get points back and go with a 1-way setup going forward

Any racing type shock is going to require a higher service rebuild interval than someone like KW for example. I sent my shocks in after 2 years of service, 10k miles combined street/track and the front guide seals were already getting worn. MCS said the shims were still good but regardless the front shaft seals needed replaced.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote