follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2015, 05:58 AM   #29
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ECUtek has the table labelled Base Timing (AVCS Off) so one would assume that's it's purpose.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #30
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Just to be sure, this happens with A/C off? Maybe you said and I missed it...

Stock, A/C definitely sucks away power.

This was with AC on, its pretty hot lately but the difference isn't really that bad with it off or on

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
Was this done on a dyno? From those logs and how super low the timing is, one can make the assumption you're either running 87 octane fuel or there's something in your engine bay making a ton of racket and making the knock sensor go crazy. The timing map is in various spots makes one wonder. The IAM being super low is a result of the knock sensor feedback -- although it may not mean much as you can tune the timing maps to shift very little if none at all due to the IAM.
You're also seeing stoich AFR's while making boost, and you really should be seeing some enrichment when boost comes in -- the leaner AFR in boost will cause cylinder temps to shoot up which can cause some detonation.

Lol just when I thought it wasn't really a tune situation. Not sure why things were setup this way but its clear its tune related. I'm using 93 oct and usually get it from the same station. This is a remote tune, I wish I could have done a dyno tune. I don't really have many options down here, any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm on ecutek at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Considering you have wideband, why aren't you running full closed loop?
Enrichment on throttle as well as boost should be there as mentioned.

I will not be loading your car at all with IAM that low, putt around and make sure you have fuel side sorted by getting better fuel to eliminate it from the equation. If it's still happening, you need to get your tuner to do something.

That's the thing, I was noticing the IAM going a little crazy and that fluctuation is what I probably felt and attribute it to the heat. I wanted to go full time closed loop and that's the reason we started calibrate the WB to read on ecutek custom map O, my tuner was working on it but we never got back to it. Some say its not good in case the wideband fails but then again I think a simple(maybe not so simple) failsafe to prevent from a bad reading or too lean of a condition would be enough. The stock 02 could also go bad just as likely as the wideband in my opinion.

I sent my tuner these same logs and hopefully he's able to pick up what most of you guys are saying. I'd like to give him a chance as I never revised my tune after changing to my GTX28 from a smaller precision. Not really sure how much that could be at fault but im hoping its the case.

I really appreciate your help and feedback if you'd like me to log any parameters and events please let me know. I really just want this thing to drive normal but mostly safe. I'm surprised how the car feels so good at times, like I had mentioned this is probably when all is nice cool which points back to my ignorant assumption it was all a "heat" thing.

Tagging Mike to see if he could shed some light on the subject @moto-mike

Last edited by yomny; 08-28-2015 at 08:11 AM.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #31
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
car might also have developed some hardware issue ,intake or exhaust leak or sensor fault.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #32
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
car might also have developed some hardware issue ,intake or exhaust leak or sensor fault.
Wouldn't a sensor trigger a cel, I've checked for boost leaks and nothing so car, also checked for vacuum leaks but don't think as I get about 22" vacuum. Let see when mike revises the logs if he finds anything.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #33
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
We'll chime in here and it is being also followed up with email. The original tune from prior was dead smooth AFR/boost curves and IAM generally at 1, with next to no knock. The turbo was changed and now the datalog that I just looked at looks totally different. We'll have to get to the bottom of this to figure out exactly what's up, but I'd guess we may be seeing some hotter air.

In regards to full time closed loop, we disagree with some of the other voices here regarding that application on the BRZ/FR-S. While some OEMs may use a similar type of strategy, they have failsafes built in that this ECU does not. So if the sensor drifts your AFR will also and you'll never know it. Frankly it is a easier way to tune in bulk since you just let the custom map set the AFR, but the easier way is not always the best way. It is indeed much harder to set the correct MAF scaling and temp compensations manually. Also we leave 6 additional custom maps open when we leave that feature out, which enables us to implement the custom TC, flex fuel support, electronic boost control, smooth rev limit, etc...
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
yomny (08-29-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 05:28 AM   #34
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
This was with AC on, its pretty hot lately but the difference isn't really that bad with it off or on

Lol just when I thought it wasn't really a tune situation. Not sure why things were setup this way but its clear its tune related. I'm using 93 oct and usually get it from the same station. This is a remote tune, I wish I could have done a dyno tune. I don't really have many options down here, any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm on ecutek at the moment.

That's the thing, I was noticing the IAM going a little crazy and that fluctuation is what I probably felt and attribute it to the heat. I wanted to go full time closed loop and that's the reason we started calibrate the WB to read on ecutek custom map O, my tuner was working on it but we never got back to it. Some say its not good in case the wideband fails but then again I think a simple(maybe not so simple) failsafe to prevent from a bad reading or too lean of a condition would be enough. The stock 02 could also go bad just as likely as the wideband in my opinion.

I sent my tuner these same logs and hopefully he's able to pick up what most of you guys are saying. I'd like to give him a chance as I never revised my tune after changing to my GTX28 from a smaller precision. Not really sure how much that could be at fault but im hoping its the case.

I really appreciate your help and feedback if you'd like me to log any parameters and events please let me know. I really just want this thing to drive normal but mostly safe. I'm surprised how the car feels so good at times, like I had mentioned this is probably when all is nice cool which points back to my ignorant assumption it was all a "heat" thing.

Tagging Mike to see if he could shed some light on the subject @moto-mike
You changed turbo without a retune?
Old 08-30-2015, 05:31 AM   #35
s2d4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
We'll chime in here and it is being also followed up with email. The original tune from prior was dead smooth AFR/boost curves and IAM generally at 1, with next to no knock. The turbo was changed and now the datalog that I just looked at looks totally different. We'll have to get to the bottom of this to figure out exactly what's up, but I'd guess we may be seeing some hotter air.

In regards to full time closed loop, we disagree with some of the other voices here regarding that application on the BRZ/FR-S. While some OEMs may use a similar type of strategy, they have failsafes built in that this ECU does not. So if the sensor drifts your AFR will also and you'll never know it. Frankly it is a easier way to tune in bulk since you just let the custom map set the AFR, but the easier way is not always the best way. It is indeed much harder to set the correct MAF scaling and temp compensations manually. Also we leave 6 additional custom maps open when we leave that feature out, which enables us to implement the custom TC, flex fuel support, electronic boost control, smooth rev limit, etc...
Thanks for the closed loop info on the 86.
Forgot about the original ecu limitations as I run standalones on my FI cars. Not sure if ecutek allows change of digital inputs like they do with analog inputs, otherwise a good wideband controller with a fail safe trigger output can be used in a similar fashion to overboost ptotection?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:09 AM   #36
ztan

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
I'd like to give him a chance as I never revised my tune after changing to my GTX28 from a smaller precision. Not really sure how much that could be at fault but im hoping its the case.
Shouldn't expect a different turbo to work with an old tune... You should have put this info in the top post. Did the tune work fine with your old turbo?

I've compared an SBD "Greddy knock-off" tune with minimal knock living further north than me in QLD where things are really hot. I've got the Greddy T518Z turbo and in the 2800-3800 RPM range, I have to run 6-8 degrees less timing simply because I'm getting higher pressures or hotter air a lot sooner.
ztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #37
yomny

Post #30 mentions my turbo changing,it's a long way from #1 I admit. . As stated I wasn't sure it would really make a big difference but again I was wrong. I thought I had mentioned it on the first post. Not pointing fingers as I never doubted my tuner and made that clear. I guess a turbo change would make that difference, we'll see when I get a revised map.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #38
yomny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztan View Post
Shouldn't expect a different turbo to work with an old tune... You should have put this info in the top post. Did the tune work fine with your old turbo?

I've compared an SBD "Greddy knock-off" tune with minimal knock living further north than me in QLD where things are really hot. I've got the Greddy T518Z turbo and in the 2800-3800 RPM range, I have to run 6-8 degrees less timing simply because I'm getting higher pressures or hotter air a lot sooner.
I think that's my current situation as the gtx is pushing air a lot quicker than my old precision.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #39
s2d4

omg....