follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
KGFRS86
SoCal Asphalt FR-S Owner

Drives: 13' Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Automatic Transmission Cooler

Hi Everyone,

Now that the summer months are here (have been, almost over, I know), I'm questioning if I want to take my Stock A/T FR-S to the track here in SoCal. I know I was fine in the winter, but the summers in the middle of the Cali desert can be quite hot.

I was looking at AT Transmission Coolers, and I found this guy: http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=au...ated-11x6x1-12

I think I found one other person on the forum using this kind of cooler...

It seems really affordable at $75 so I'm considering purchasing one regardless of track usage, as I figure it can't hurt.

Any con's to buying one of those and installing it?

Thank you in advance everyone!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
mikochu

Drives: 2010 VW GTI 2-Door (APR Stage II)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
*interest piqued*
2010 GTI 2dr MT CSG APR Stage II, SPM V1 IC, R8 Coils, K&N Drop-In, 42DD Race DP, Magnaflow CBE, CM FX300, S3 Short Shifter w/ 42DD/VM Bushings, Autotech Insert, StopTech Street Pads, Neuspeed Sport Springs/RSB/RSe12 Wheels, ED LED Tails
mikochu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikochu For This Useful Post:
KGFRS86 (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Ross

Drives: 85 corolla gts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
I will be installing one for someone in couple of weeks or so when we install there turbo kit. Did you monitor your fluid temps at all during your winter sessions? For my customers application I felt it was needed along with the other typicall cooling mods.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
KGFRS86
SoCal Asphalt FR-S Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I will be installing one for someone in couple of weeks or so when we install there turbo kit. Did you monitor your fluid temps at all during your winter sessions? For my customers application I felt it was needed along with the other typicall cooling mods.
I don't have any extra gauges or whatnot but the temperature gauge was steady during the winter. Keep in mind it was 35-50 degrees out back then..

Are you installing one from that specific brand or is it a different auto cooler?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Ross

Drives: 85 corolla gts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
We are using the B&M cooler kit part number 70264 I believe. We will also be using a similar sized oil cooler. Our initial goal will be to side mount them in a v configuration and make ducting for them. We have yet to test fit this idea so it is not set in stone. Once the turbo kit arrives we will be getting started on it and I can report back on it.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
KGFRS86
SoCal Asphalt FR-S Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
We are using the B&M cooler kit part number 70264 I believe. We will also be using a similar sized oil cooler. Our initial goal will be to side mount them in a v configuration and make ducting for them. We have yet to test fit this idea so it is not set in stone. Once the turbo kit arrives we will be getting started on it and I can report back on it.
I would really appreciate the info, thank you Ross.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
mechaghost

Drives: Silver AT Limited
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
interested in this trans cooler
mechaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
interested and sub'd.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

the oem cooler

So the car already comes with an engine coolant to trans fluid cooler. Would the air to fluid cooler this thread is about replace or be in addition to what's there?

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
So the car already comes with an engine coolant to trans fluid cooler. Would the air to fluid cooler this thread is about replace or be in addition to what's there?
Not to thread jack, but unlike my previous domestic vehicles, I haven't seen trans temperatures reach anything I'd personally consider alarming (and I regularly drive my car aggressively in 90*+ weather). I'm a big fan of regulating thermal creep on all the fluids in the vehicle, I'm just curious if anyone has datalogs of AT trans temperatures they'd find alarming?

I only ask as I've known several people who have ended up with bad experiences, longterm, on affordable aftermarket trans coolers. Sub'd for any more info on this and thanks for bringing up a point I'd be contemplating.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
Not to thread jack, but unlike my previous domestic vehicles, I haven't seen trans temperatures reach anything I'd personally consider alarming (and I regularly drive my car aggressively in 90*+ weather). I'm a big fan of regulating thermal creep on all the fluids in the vehicle, I'm just curious if anyone has datalogs of AT trans temperatures they'd find alarming?

I only ask as I've known several people who have ended up with bad experiences, longterm, on affordable aftermarket trans coolers. Sub'd for any more info on this and thanks for bringing up a point I'd be contemplating.

I've tried but have been unsuccessful in finding a PID for the transmission temp. I'm 100% sure there is one but none of the six is so I've found for other TOYOTA products have worked.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #12
Nightbringer

I thought it was listed in the huge thread for the Torque App PIDS?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
I thought it was listed in the huge thread for the Torque App PIDS?
I looked and looked for a working one and couldn't find it to my frustration. It's been three months since I tried it so I could go looking in thread again. Maybe I should start a thread just about this....

Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Nightbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
I looked and looked for a working one and couldn't find it to my frustration. It's been three months since I tried it so I could go looking in thread again. Maybe I should start a thread just about this....
I appreciate the effort. It's one of the few things I like being cognizant of on a daily basis. Trans temp, oil temp, AFR, KR and advance are all I care much about. Having to use the laptop to see the former is a pain in the ass, though the few times I have, I haven't seen anything worrisome. Anyone in the ridiculously hot regions want to chime in on trans temps they've seen with the auto? I'm very curious if this WILL be on the "must do" list next to the engine oil cooler.