follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List
JonMotoring

Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #1639
Evil86

Drives: Monkey-butt red FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
Ahhh. Thanks.
Evil86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #1640
BRZ_Driver

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
Just wondering why everyone is so big on muffler deletes? Nothing against them but everything I read says a loss of low range torque my exhaust gave me more low range torque and more power and It's only really loud when I want it to be with no drone. Is it just because of the price with the average muffler delete under $100 and a good axle back starting at $550? And for people worried about heat I don't think this little engine would be able to generate the enough heat to melt a bumper maybe any exposed wires or over heat break and fuel lines that are close to it.
Why does everyone keep bringing up this "loss of power"? lol I'm sure its there but it's nothing to complain about. The car can still get sideways, it can still corner. But if 0-60 and QMT are what you are after then meh lol been there done that. Plus with a tune you can get rid of that torque problem.

And you would be surprise of the amount of heat this little motor puts out. It CAN and WILL melt the bumper with prolong driving. Last night I took 2 members and a soon to be member for a 10 minute test drive. When we got back, the whole left side of the rear bumper was hot to the touch and the bottom valance was extremely hot and soft.
BRZ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZ_Driver For This Useful Post:
RedLeader (10-21-2012), SMOKETREES (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #1641
captain_jack

Drives: '13 raven frs, '10 taco,09 gsxr 600
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Sweet but i shouldnt have to register to come watch right?
captain_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #1642
SMOKETREES
Lowered Lifestyle

Drives: Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ_Driver View Post
Why does everyone keep bringing up this "loss of power"? lol I'm sure its there but it's nothing to complain about. The car can still get sideways, it can still corner. But if 0-60 and QMT are what you are after then meh lol been there done that. Plus with a tune you can get rid of that torque problem.

And you would be surprise of the amount of heat this little motor puts out. It CAN and WILL melt the bumper with prolong driving. Last night I took 2 members and a soon to be member for a 10 minute test drive. When we got back, the whole left side of the rear bumper was hot to the touch and the bottom valance was extremely hot and soft.
Vivid has done a dyno with everything and never noticed a "loss of power" from what i remember when they posted all of the dyno's in a forum on here but cant find it, if i do ill link it. I believe the heat will be there due to it being high compression? in which is why im waiting to do anything until i get to a muffler shop and when i do ill have them make sure the ends stick out just a bit for some clearance of this heat issue with the bumper....
SMOKETREES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SMOKETREES For This Useful Post:
BRZ_Driver (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #1643
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
I'd be interested to see proof of this loss of low end anything by simply removing the factory muffler section. The stock cat is far more restrictive and has a greater effect on exhaust flow and pulse timing than the muffler ever will, unless the cat is removed. Doing a muffler delete is not going to make any noticeable power, but it does remove a lot of weight. Even a cat back exhaust (leaving the factory cat in place) only has a minor effect on performance, and most of the gains come from loss of weight. Only by replacing the entire exhaust system, headers included, with a pulse tuned system designed to maximize exhaust gas scavenging and properly time exhaust pulse vacuums will you see any real power and torque gains.

I'm trying to find the article I've seen that spells out the major objectives, and differences, in turbo exhaust systems and NA exhaust systems so I can link it here, because it does a better job of explaining it than I can from memory.
I'm just wondering I spent over $500 for my GReddy exhaust for sound and performance but if it doesn't matter I could have bent a pipe welded some autozone tips on it then heat wrap the pipe in my garage for $50.

Just sounds to me like I might have got ripped off but I still really like my exhaust.
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #1644
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKETREES View Post
Vivid has done a dyno with everything and never noticed a "loss of power" from what i remember when they posted all of the dyno's in a forum on here but cant find it, if i do ill link it. I believe the heat will be there due to it being high compression? in which is why im waiting to do anything until i get to a muffler shop and when i do ill have them make sure the ends stick out just a bit for some clearance of this heat issue with the bumper....
Any worry about all that being right below the gas tank I know there is a heat shield there but it's pretty small.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #1645
SMOKETREES
Lowered Lifestyle

Garage
Quote:
I'm just wondering I spent over $500 for my GReddy exhaust for sound and performance but if it doesn't matter I could have bent a pipe welded some autozone tips on it then heat wrap the pipe in my garage for $50.

Just sounds to me like I might have got ripped off but I still really like my exhaust.
You spent 500 for a name, lol. I mean dont be unpleased by your buy cause i was honestly looking into the evo3 system they just came out with but like i said earlier, people just dont have the $ right now for an exhaust like such so muffler delete is a cheap, easy mod that doesnt cost more than 100$
Old 10-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #1646
SMOKETREES
Lowered Lifestyle

Garage
Quote:
Any worry about all that being right below the gas tank I know there is a heat shield there but it's pretty small.
i dont think thatll be a worry when the actual muffler is probably inches away from that heat shield anyways and will be producing heat anyways. I mean maybe if you just take off the muffler and leave it as that but i will be wrapping it and adding anything i can do make my mind not go that route
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #1647
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

That's what we call buyers remorse, or rationalization. I'm going to spend about $600 on a nameless axleback exhaust, not because it has any performance gains, but because I've had cars with the muffler removed and the drone annoys me. I'll probably get a track pipe extension so when I autocross the car, I can remove the muffler and drive it that way, but for my daily driver, I don't want the extra noise, I want it to sound a little louder, deeper, and not drone TOO badly.
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedLeader For This Useful Post:
Accurate Race Shop (10-21-2012), SMOKETREES (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #1648
BRZ_Driver

Quote:
...Just sounds to me like I might have got ripped off ...
I wouldn't go as far as saying that. You have a quality product designed to be better then the factory exhaust. The only reason I'm doing a muffler delete is because of the sound. That's it. At idle and low revs, it's almost has that WRX/STI rumble. That's what I want out of this boxer.
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZ_Driver For This Useful Post:
jeffsides (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #1649
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
That's what we call buyers remorse, or rationalization. I'm going to spend about $600 on a nameless axleback exhaust, not because it has any performance gains, but because I've had cars with the muffler removed and the drone annoys me. I'll probably get a track pipe extension so when I autocross the car, I can remove the muffler and drive it that way, but for my daily driver, I don't want the extra noise, I want it to sound a little louder, deeper, and not drone TOO badly.
Yeah my old gto ran straight pipes I couldn't take it so I did the old man thing and put glass packs on it which was another question I had those are cheap and sound good anyone thought about a 50 dollar glass pack or cherry bomb set or should I take my old school ass home lol

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #1650
BRZ_Driver

I would like to note, that after tweaking the heat shield. I got the bumper to stay cool under normal driving. It's only when I drive hard when things start to warm up. It's a temporary fix until I can get some pipes welded up.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #1651
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ_Driver View Post
I would like to note, that after tweaking the heat shield. I got the bumper to stay cool under normal driving. It's only when I drive hard when things start to warm up. It's a temporary fix until I can get some pipes welded up.
Yeah I would wrap the pipes then fab up a heat shield nothing pretty no one is going to see it anyway just functional

Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #1652
BRZ_Driver

Quote:
Yeah I would wrap the pipes then fab up a heat shield nothing pretty no one is going to see it anyway just functional

That's how my shield is now. Looks awful but it's saving me a trip to the body shop lol

Tags
arizona, fr-s, mesa, phoenix, scion, tucson, we need a subforum