follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2021, 08:33 PM   #15
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash0901 View Post
I have boost by gear, thats not the issue, the issue is 3rd, 4th, and 5th lol. And CD009 trans
go fix your boost by gear.

Or invest in tcs.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #16
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Maybe even some drag oriented coilovers rather than street ones?
Old 01-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #17
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Drives: Nike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
go fix your boost by gear.

Or invest in tcs.
I have Motec Traction control, i'm fairly convinced at this point your car either makes crap for power or you simply don't have a swapped 86 making high torque. Unless you are going to provide truly helpful insight, I think it's best you move on from this topic.

Last edited by Clash0901; 01-22-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Clash0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #18
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
The MCA Traction bracket may help a little.

https://mcasuspension.com/shop/catalog/54/Traction-Mod
I've never heard of this, i'll look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Maybe even some drag oriented coilovers rather than street ones?
Can you be more specific? I really don't know what makes a coilover drag oriented. Is it the valving? If so, what coilover do you recommend?
Old 01-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #19
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I think what CSG was getting at is that you make too much power.

Bellow are your only real options.

Better/fatter tires. (Looks like you cant go much wider.)
More aggressive TCS.
MCA Traction Mod
More weight in the rear.
Time for areo.

Even with all of that done your only option in the end may be
Less power. (Turn the boost down)

I also would not be running OTS sprint rates/valving with a swap of this magnitude.
I doubt the car has anywhere near the original weight or F/R bias.
Custom may help putting the power down.

Car doesn't look overly dropped from what I saw after hunting down your ceramic vid.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Clash0901 (01-22-2021), DarkPira7e (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #20
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
I think what CSG was getting at is that you make too much power. -- You may be right. Unfortunately I can't read minds and as it sits his replies seem sarcastic and unhelpful.

Bellow are your only real options.

Better/fatter tires. (Looks like you cant go much wider.) -- What do you mean better? i'm open to hearing opinions, it's one of my main questions but nobody has made a single viable recommendation yet. 275 is the biggest i can run sadly. Even now I rub more than I would like.
More aggressive TCS. -- When we try more aggressive the car just feels bad to drive sadly. By bad to drive, I mean, it's literally going to be slower than a prius up until 80mph lol
MCA Traction Mod -- Is this really that helpful? It's expensive for 2 small pieces shipped from AUS so just wondering if it's really worth the purchase
More weight in the rear. -- Not sure how to accomplish this honestly, or if I would want to
Time for areo. -- Like what? a big wing? Not sure that helps at lower speeds but i could be wrong

Even with all of that done your only option in the end may be
Less power. (Turn the boost down)

I also would not be running OTS sprint rates/valving with a swap of this magnitude.
I doubt the car has anywhere near the original weight or F/R bias.
Custom may help putting the power down. -- No doubt, but I have no idea how to accomplish this. Is there online calculators that help me determine what I need spring rate wise f vs r?

Car doesn't look overly dropped from what I saw after hunting down your ceramic vid.
Replies above in red!

EDIT: I'm willing to spend some money on serious suggestions from people with actual experience. I've received so many generic "get better tires" remarks with absolutely no proof or backing that the tire they recommend is better than my current. In my current tire class of a street drag tire, the NT555R is as good as its competition. On paper anyway. In real life it sucks, but I can't have any way of knowing if it's just a bad tire and everyone online is stupid by recommending it or if it's a good tire and my car just needs better suspension work.

As far as suspension goes, i'm ready to ditch the tein's. I just don't want to replace them for similarly crappy suspension that just happens to cost more.
x808drifter (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #21
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
No idea if the traction mod would help, only have reviews to go off of.

As for aero, probably not at low speeds, but you mentioned 5th gear so I assumed high speeds.

Another thought.
Boost by RPM instead of straight gear. (if not already done.)

I'd start emailing some suspension companies and see if they could give some feedback.
Suspension sub forum would be a good place for more input on recommended companies, ect.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #22
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I think the real solution will be one of the following-

Adding weight to the trunk
Ramping in boost slower
drag slicks
True LSD

Sudden inertia change from boost coming in too fast will make it harder for the tires to react. Adding weight sometimes won't help if other factors are too much; it's also counter-productive to a degree.
Fat drag slicks have been the solution for nearly anyone looking to hook up on pavement unequivocally. I have the NT555R on my car and while they're an R compound, they are still pretty stiff ( I have a 245/45).
You may know people who have better luck hooking up, but there are so many things that need to go right at that power level, it's tough to discern what a perfect formula is other than drag slicks, a real LSD (Torsen is limited, I don't care what anyone says, clutch type is the way to go)
Cheapest solution is going to be having the tuner ramp boost in more slowly, possibly with less sauce overall. But we don't build to slow down, so maybe get a better LSD, some Hoosiers, and start rotating the earth under you instead of spinning on top of it
Old 01-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #23
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

I have boost by speed technically but it also factors gear and rpm is controlled to extent by TCS all via the motec. I don't want to spend like $5k for a rear end and such, but it may be the only solution. Not sure how much weight I would need back there to help out my situation. A few sand bags surely won't do much. I would need 500lbs or more lol.

I will try more tuning this coming spring to try and ramp up boost slower but i'm limited with a smaller hot side on the turbo. It hits pretty aggressively and under 5k rpm which i'm sure is also not helping.

My biggest concern with a full drag radial is on days it rains. Without some tread on the tire, the car becomes a death trap. At least from all the reviews i've read that is.

I am considering a MT ET Street S/S or possibly toyo R888R but not sure they will be much better than my NT555R. All reviews online say the NT555R is similar to the S/S and "better" than the R888R for street/strip in a straight line. Any thoughts on this tire theory?
Old 01-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #24
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
OK,,, I'll preface this with the fact that I have no real experience with this kind of power. My initial thoughts center around some previously mentioned ones. I know you've mentioned that your running the widest tire you can. Is putting flares on of some type and stepping up wheel width and tires size out of the question?? I'm not sure that a 315/35ZR17 is not going to spin when you hammer it in 5th,, but I'd think it'd be better. Also aero. I wouldn't think drag from a big wing is going to hurt you top end much,, but real down force might in those 5th gear pulls.

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:44 PM   #25
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
you need a proper drag suspension setup to weight transfer to the rears.

Wider doesn't always = more grip depending on psi and compound you change contact depth for width without an overall increase in surface area.

Weight over the rear would help, like battery relocation or anything else you can relocate. sometimes adding a sandbag or weight plate over the rears adding 50lbs to take a 1/10th off the 60ft to take off 2/10th on the 1/4th will negate the weight gain.

but the number one most important thing is the suspension setup. no one size fits all, every car not only model but specific individual setup is different. you need 2 way adjustable coilovers to have full control over height, compression, and rebound independently. You want the rear to squat down and the nose to come up but you dont want either side banging off bump stops or going fully unloaded in the front either its a balancing act that's difficult to dial in, takes a lot of trial and error, practice, filming your launch to see exactly what's happening and then making adjustments.

Lots of RWD light weight front engine cars have traction and battle wheelies once setup properly. Then once you get to that point you setup boost by gear and launch control etc... to get right to the edge of not doing a wheelie.

very few people have done what you have done on this platform to give you exact real world experience, your best bet is to reach out to other platforms with similar lightweight front engine RWD setups at similar power and get advice from them, even then nothing wil be exact to your car, except what is best for your car.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #26
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash0901 View Post
I have Motec Traction control, i'm fairly convinced at this point your car either makes crap for power or you simply don't have a swapped 86 making high torque. Unless you are going to provide truly helpful insight, I think it's best you move on from this topic.
Clearly, your TC isn't working. Go get it tuned.

You're looking for a magic bullet. It doesn't exist.

I driven and owned cars that will walk your 2J powered 86. There's no way around physics. If you want to delude yourself and waste time and money, be my guest. At the end of the day, your conclusion will be the same as anyone else out there who makes any sort of 500+:

- Fix (properly tune) your TCS
- Get stickier tires

For those of you watching this thread:

- An LSD won't help. He's spinning both tires due to 1. too much power 2. not enough tire grip, not uneven lateral load
- squat/antisquat geometry wont affect his grip due to lack of tire grip resulting in poor articulation

Given a rather high level of build, I frankly expected you to understand my recs, rather than having to spoon feed you.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DustinS (01-28-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #27
ft86xtc

Drives: 2013 FRS
Altho Im not making much power yet I have traction issues too with NT555R's. Now I have some mickey's 275/50/15 that hook alot better. Still trying to figure out suspension, mine is way to stiff even on full soft. I'll more than likely go with a dual adjustable coilovers with spring rates based off corner balance weight. What spring rates are you running?
ft86xtc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86xtc For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #28
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86xtc View Post
Altho Im not making much power yet I have traction issues too with NT555R's. Now I have some mickey's 275/50/15 that hook alot better. Still trying to figure out suspension, mine is way to stiff even on full soft. I'll more than likely go with a dual adjustable coilovers with spring rates based off corner balance weight. What spring rates are you running?
Spring rates aren't granular enough to adjust based on corner weights.

Run the car high and use the stock bump steer geometry to your advantage for launching or rolling launches. If you're already used to slick walk, then this kind of alignment wont bother you.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ft86xtc (01-22-2021)