follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
random hero

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Who's tracking their BRZ?

Hey guys & gals, just picked up a limited BRZ Friday for a fun weekend car & Trackday mule. Just curious who's tracked their cars, and what mods, setups you guys are running.

I'll address the wheels/tires first, not sure if sticking w/17" wheel would be cost effective when it comes to tires, I think the 18" looks better aesthetically, but I'm building the car w/function over form.

Brakes, if their anything like my '10 wrx brakes, they won't last long on the track... I'll give some new pads & high temp fluid a go before the first day, but likely thinking BBK is going to be in order.

Suspension, so far options seem to be limited... the stock suspension seems to work very well, not sure if it's worth throwing a pair of springs on the car and seeing how it does, I'd like to put a double adjustable coil-over on the car eventually, but again looking for what others have done, maybe something out there works very well.

All the input is appreciated, any little quirks about the car, anything worth looking at before hitting the track?
random hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
You might be better posting here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

That's the specific sub-forum for track/ auto-x/ hpde events

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,094 Times in 1,699 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I tracked mine a week ago at Road Atlanta, bone stock other than an Apexi drop-in filter and intake resonator/noise gen deletes and a few cosmetic mods. I wasn't pushing it since I was on stock brake pads and fluid, but I had a lot of fun for just one session with my student riding along! Just cracked 600 miles this week

I'm planning on taking mine to Atlanta Motorsports Park in November after I put on RCE functional lowering springs, Whiteline Com-C top mounts and the rest of their associated camber goodies.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I did Sebring Club in mine, as well a couple of autocrosses. Car did great with wheels, tires, front brake pads (Carbotech AX6) and brake fluid.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
TSY

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The car seems pretty well set up for light track duty off the shelf. Depending on your track if it's rough on brakes than pads and brake fluid are probably a good idea. Although since you're in Colorado your car may be down on power and the stock brakes might be fine.

I would suggest taking it to the track the first time stock and seeing what you might want to change instead of changing a bunch of things and not really knowing how it has affected the car. Also part of the fun of this car is sliding it around- not coming up with the fastest lap times.

Good luck and have fun!

tom
The Following User Says Thank You to TSY For This Useful Post:
ill86 (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
TSY

Garage
ATL BRZ- that 944 behind you- is it a turbo or an S2? Were you able to keep ahead of it? With only 600 miles on your car did you keep it below 4000rpm?
Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSY View Post
ATL BRZ- that 944 behind you- is it a turbo or an S2? Were you able to keep ahead of it?
That was a 944 S2 and since this was a helmets off touring session with students riding along, we weren't passing each other, but we were at reasonable speed through the corners but dialed back to around 60% speed on the straights. I was instructing only that weekend, not putting numbers on my BRZ and going balls out until it's out of break in and I at least get to swap pads and fluid in the brake lines.

My dad and I share his fully stripped, race prepped 944 S2 running oversized Hoosiers for DE's and the BRZ feels a bit more balanced than the S2, with about the same high rpm acceleration except the low end torque (207 ft/lbs) from the n/a 3 liter is MUCH better on corner exits compared to the BRZ (which is why many club racers prefer the S2 to the turbo given the stock class rules. Stock 951's only make 217hp and have all the extra complexities and weight for "only" a bit more straight line speed). The Subaru is more nimble with a lesser curb weight, and the steering is more precise, but less feedback than the retrofitted manual rack in the S2.

With slicks on the BRZ, I think it would be well matched to an S2 club racer, but the BRZ would just barely lose the drag race out of corners without a few bolt ons, then it might keep up

Quote:
With only 600 miles on your car did you keep it below 4000rpm?
For the most part, but I couldn't help myself a couple times. Nowhere close to redline. I've had a magnet on the oil filter since delivery and an oil change scheduled for 1000 miles, no worries

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 08-20-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
random hero

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The car seems pretty well set up for light track duty off the shelf. Depending on your track if it's rough on brakes than pads and brake fluid are probably a good idea. Although since you're in Colorado your car may be down on power and the stock brakes might be fine.

I would suggest taking it to the track the first time stock and seeing what you might want to change instead of changing a bunch of things and not really knowing how it has affected the car. Also part of the fun of this car is sliding it around- not coming up with the fastest lap times.

Good luck and have fun!

tom
Yeah, I'll address the brakes for sure... made that mistake in the WRX I had and was headed home by lunch time w/the brake pedal on the floor. Beyond that, will likely set it up with some new wheels/tires, and leave it be for a while... stock suspension seems to work well from what I've read.
random hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
TSY

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post

With slicks on the BRZ, I think it would be well matched to an S2 club racer, but the BRZ would just barely lose the drag race out of corners without a few bolt ons, then it might keep up

Thanks for the info. I was trying to get a sense of the BRZ compared to the 944s. The 944s are nicely balanced, and actually reasonably light (since they're minus the 8 airbags and other safety stuff) and you can stuff a ton of tire beneath those fenders. My 951 is putting about 270 hp at the wheels so it is faster than the BRZ but even though it's faster it's not as fun to drive for some reason.

I'm looking forward to finishing the break in period in my BRZ and playing with it on the track too.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
TSY

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by random hero View Post
Yeah, I'll address the brakes for sure... made that mistake in the WRX I had and was headed home by lunch time w/the brake pedal on the floor. Beyond that, will likely set it up with some new wheels/tires, and leave it be for a while... stock suspension seems to work well from what I've read.
Sounds like a good plan. This car is a bit lighter than your Rex so I would guess the stock brakes will hold up better. The brake fluid might not though!

When I had my Miata you could run mild pads and they'd do fine since the car was so light. Lightness is a good thing!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
My 951 is putting about 270 hp at the wheels so it is faster than the BRZ but even though it's faster it's not as fun to drive for some reason.
Dont want to derail this thread too much, but I drove an '89 951 for a couple years recently. It had a k27/6 and lindsey MAF, 55lb injectors, and a custom chip making about the same power as yours at 18psi. Also a full 4 inch catless exhaust. It was a handful, but lots of fun! I really miss it but I dont miss maintaining it. In two years I never felt confident in the motor to track it. AC leaks, Oil leaks, reference sensor failures, and finally undiagnosed excessive crankcase pressure is currently plaguing it. Right now it's awaiting repair/sale in my dads garage as I dont have the time or resources to keep it streetable. The S2 we share is a much more reliable track car and since it's fully prepared, I have no reason to keep the 951 even as a weekend street car. One fun car with a warranty is better than one support vehicle and a fun car that I cant enjoy anytime without issues arising and time/money spent diagnosing and repairing.

It should sell okay when the time comes. Black on black in great condition and 110k miles with 3k miles on a refreshed and modded 2.5. Would make a great track car for anyone with the resources to sort through it properly.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 08-20-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
TSY

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Dont want to derail this thread too much, but I drove an '89 951 for a couple years recently. It had a k27/6 and lindsey MAF, 55lb injectors, and a custom chip making about the same power as yours at 18psi. Also a full 4 inch catless exhaust. It was a handful, but lots of fun! I really miss it but I dont miss maintaining it. In two years I never felt confident in the motor to track it. AC leaks, Oil leaks, reference sensor failures, and finally undiagnosed excessive crankcase pressure is currently plaguing it. Right now it's awaiting repair/sale in my dads garage as I dont have the time or resources to keep it streetable. The S2 we share is a much more reliable track car and since it's fully prepared, I have no reason to keep the 951 even as a weekend street car. One fun car with a warranty is better than one support vehicle and a fun car that I cant enjoy anytime without issues arising and time/money spent diagnosing and repairing.

It should sell okay when the time comes. Black on black in great condition and 110k miles with 3k miles on a refreshed and modded 2.5. Would make a great track car for anyone with the resources to sort through it properly.
Agreed. With P cars they are expensive toys. There's no such thing as a cheap Porsche! Luckily I have a good Porsche mechanic and I turn the boost down to 15psi where it's been reliable. HOPEFULLY it will stay that way.

Sorry for the OT chatter!