follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #29
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you guys wanted to do a second gen 86 vs BRZ comparison you could have at least wait for official pics.

Spoiler Alert: The GR86 is gonna look the same as the BRZ but with a different front bumper and headlight housing.
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #30
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
Exterior renders were not far off. Interior ones were completely wrong, lol. Clearly whoever was doing the renders had seen the exterior but not the interior.

And just as well the real interior is different, I would have hated the speculative interior with it's silly tablet on the dash gimmick.
Actually if you look real closely the renders weren't that far off.

they both have a silver trim for the pass side on top of a double deckedish glovebox/dash combo.

the climate controls and push to start buttons and the toggle switches are spot on.

The stitched stripe down the butt of the seat is spot on.

even the inner kneepads on the center console is the same shape as the render

the only thing really different is how pronounced that double decked element is for the passenger, the door cards, the fact that the infotainment is below the climate vents and not on top, and the trim around the gear lever is round (basically the previous gen's one) and not boxed off

they've even captured the swooping element transition of the gear lever area up to the center console

pretty impressive

just also glad that the new one doesnt have that tombstone tablet look of the infotainment system like miata has succumbed to and so many other cars today

wish we got a new steering wheel but also glad we didnt get the supra one like in render
Attached Images

beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #31
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
not trying to pick on OP, but what was the point of this thread? to see how accurate bestcar was? if so thats already been done in several threads.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...7&postcount=51
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
beltax90 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 11:59 PM   #32
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I really didn't like the silver on the last model, but I think it looks good on this one.

Really interested to see what the 1st versions special paint option will be. Was not a fan of the burnt orange - looked brown on a cloudy day.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:36 AM   #33
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
Actually if you look real closely the renders weren't that far off.

they both have a silver trim for the pass side on top of a double deckedish glovebox/dash combo.

the climate controls and push to start buttons and the toggle switches are spot on.

The stitched stripe down the butt of the seat is spot on.

even the inner kneepads on the center console is the same shape as the render

the only thing really different is how pronounced that double decked element is for the passenger, the door cards, the fact that the infotainment is below the climate vents and not on top, and the trim around the gear lever is round (basically the previous gen's one) and not boxed off

they've even captured the swooping element transition of the gear lever area up to the center console

pretty impressive

just also glad that the new one doesnt have that tombstone tablet look of the infotainment system like miata has succumbed to and so many other cars today

wish we got a new steering wheel but also glad we didnt get the supra one like in render
Yeah....no it was pretty off.

the only things that they got remotely close were the HVAC control layout and the kneepad and i guess the seat stripe if you want to include that.

I don't even know how you see a double deck dash on the render.....
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:50 AM   #34
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
bryster strikes again..
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:22 AM   #35
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
After thinking on it for a bit, I think the problem is that the new bonnet (hood for you Americans ) and styling makes the car look narrower and taller than gen 1. It might not be in terms of raw measurements, but visually from the front, the bonnet looks too tall.

From the side, the main problem is that the crease line that runs over the front air vent behind the front wheel curves down aimlessly. Instead of being a strong horizontal line that carries back into the door (as in Sketch Monkey's version), it just droops down sadly and looks incoherent with the rest of the car.

Darker colours hide this problem (e.g. WRC blue), but in that silver on the reveal car, it looks awful. I suspect the GR86 version will have the same problem. A shame.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-24-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 04:29 AM   #36
beltax90

Drives: 2010 corolla
Thanked 1,798 Times in 780 Posts
idk
beltax90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #37
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
its the other way around for me. i think the BRZ will look better in darker colors like blue and black. hids some of the weirdest going on in the front.
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
StE92ve (11-29-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #38
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
After thinking on it for a bit, I think the problem is that the new bonnet (hood for you Americans ) and styling makes the car look narrower and taller than gen 1. It might not be in terms of raw measurements, but visually from the front, the bonnet looks too tall.

From the side, the main problem is that the crease line that runs over the front air vent behind the front wheel curves down aimlessly. Instead of being a strong horizontal line that carries back into the door (as in Sketch Monkey's version), it just droops down sadly and looks incoherent with the rest of the car.

Darker colours hide this problem (e.g. WRC blue), but in that silver on the reveal car, it looks awful. I suspect the GR86 version will have the same problem. A shame.
Looking at photos, the height has bothered me as well. Though the journalists that have seen it seem to claim that it looks low and wider than before. Same as they claim that it looks refined and beautiful. Kind of blows my mind that this car would be so non-photogenic. But in some ways, it's what I hope for, since so far I have not been thrilled with the looks at all.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-24-2020), Tcoat (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #39
Palm Avenue

Drives: Lowered
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like an RX8 mated with a Nissan Ellure.
Palm Avenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #40
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Looking at photos, the height has bothered me as well. Though the journalists that have seen it seem to claim that it looks low and wider than before. Same as they claim that it looks refined and beautiful. Kind of blows my mind that this car would be so non-photogenic. But in some ways, it's what I hope for, since so far I have not been thrilled with the looks at all.
Pictures of cars used to be taken from five to six feet up which would be your normal average viewing heights.

Then at some point in the late eighties or early 90s the advertising world decided that people would rather see what cars looked like from 8 to 12 inches off the ground. That angle of photography has stuck ever since. It sucks because not many people actually view cars from that perspective!

Dzmitry (11-24-2020), Sport-Tech (11-25-2020), StE92ve (11-29-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #41
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Pictures of cars used to be taken from five to six feet up which would be your normal average viewing heights.
That Challenger still looks sweet 50 years on. Can't say the same for the AMC lineup.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #42
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
I didn't give much weight to the photos, depending on the lenses used, focal length, zoom factor etc. there can be a lot of optical distortions introduced. IMO the new BRZ looks far better in that Love Cars walkaround video of a WRB car posted earlier which gives a more comprehensive view. (And to Tcoat's point above, that video was mostly shot from a normal viewing height.) The Love Cars video took me from "Meh" to "I want" in about 30 seconds. (Why Subaru chose a silver car for the initial reveal is a mystery, the car looks so much better in WRB.)

Last edited by Sport-Tech; 11-25-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (11-25-2020)