follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
jarviz
Senior Member
 
jarviz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Raven FRS MT
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 965
Thanks: 76
Thanked 249 Times in 125 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
shifting from 1st to 2nd

This if my first time really driving a stick, so I'm wondering if this is me or if its the car.

Basically everytime I from 1st gear to 2nd gear, my car jerks pretty harshily, I can prevernt the jerking if I roll off the clutch and add gas very slowly, but then I lose a lot speed.

Is it possible to go from 1st to 2nd smoothly while still quickly accelerating? or is the jerking motion normal? I don't have any issues while changing from other gears. I'm watching all these old sedans dust me at the red lights because I don't feel like going full throttle to accelerate and jerking my car like crazy.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Ablaze MT (2016)
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 171
Thanks: 64
Thanked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Release the accelerator completely when switching gears.

Release Acc. Hold clutch down completely, shift, Accelerate
PoRco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Ess Vee
Member
 
Ess Vee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: White 2011 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 47
Thanks: 46
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That jerking is the result of the engine spinning faster than the transmission. The clutch is the disc that connects the engine to the transmission. When you press in the clutch pedal, you are disengaging the transmission from the engine. This is why you can accelerate with the clutch pressed in, and not go anywhere. Try to visualize it in your head, it makes the whole learning process easier IMO.

When you roll of the clutch, you are smoothing out the engagement of the transmission to the engine.

When you're learning manual, just relax and take it easy. Don't try and shift fast if you're just learning because you'll just hurt the car. Get used to it first and get that muscle memory.

Once you get the muscle memory, you'll be able to shift a lot quicker, and not have any jerk at the same time.

Trust me... I almost killed myself a couple times learning manual in a 426hp camaro.
__________________
Project: Cleaning up the C5 engine bay
^Check it out^ *link fixed*
Ess Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ess Vee For This Useful Post:
D4ng3r (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Hawaiian
That guy
 
Hawaiian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 692
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The other key is to rev match.

Try to get your engine revs to match how fast the transmission is going. Too much and the car wil jump. To little and you'll lug the engine.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
nix
Senior Member
 
nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: AVO BRZ
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,161
Thanks: 997
Thanked 826 Times in 397 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
It's possible to change without clutch if you rev match properly.

This is a great technique for new drivers to learn their clutch/flywheel better.

Don't force it in gear (!!!!1) but lift off the gas and bump it up from 1st into neutral, and very gently push the stick towards 2nd. Modulate revs gently until you feel it start to slip in and you'll find where you should have had the engine for the change.
nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
FRSpdDmn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: 128i, Z3 Coupe, Fiero GT
Location: Dexter, MI
Posts: 180
Thanks: 34
Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would not advise that for a new driver... I can do it, but I already know how to. If you're putting pressure on the next gear, you're working the synchro pretty hard. Also, if you get it wrong, you will be welcomed with a harsh crunch.

OP, work on releasing the clutch at the right time, when the revs drop to the point where they will be in the next gear. This may be quicker or slower than what you are doing currently.
__________________
-Anthony
Former '13 Whiteout FR-S, BMW 128i, BMW Z3 Coupe, Pontiac Fiero GT
2017 Pirelli World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion
www.DriveFasterNow.com
FRSpdDmn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSpdDmn For This Useful Post:
themadscientist (05-26-2016)
Old 06-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Ess Vee
Member
 
Ess Vee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: White 2011 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 47
Thanks: 46
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
It's possible to change without clutch if you rev match properly.

This is a great technique for new drivers to learn their clutch/flywheel better.

Don't force it in gear (!!!!1) but lift off the gas and bump it up from 1st into neutral, and very gently push the stick towards 2nd. Modulate revs gently until you feel it start to slip in and you'll find where you should have had the engine for the change.
Please don't try this until you get really comfortable. Too many things can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing
__________________
Project: Cleaning up the C5 engine bay
^Check it out^ *link fixed*
Ess Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
dnL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 154
Thanks: 29
Thanked 89 Times in 28 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm going to guess you're going through what I did when I was first learning stick. I learned stick only after driving an automatic for a long time.

You're at a stop light. You're a stick noob. You don't want people to know you're a noob and embarrass yourself, especially in a nice car. You want to get off the line and accelerate just as fast and as smoothly as the other cars, so as not to show off your noobness. So the light turns green, you slowly start rolling in first, and you see the other cars around... they're all flying by because you spent so much time starting from a stop. Now you want to accelerate and move with the flow of traffic, and after you've accelerated some, you want to shift to 2nd. But you still have in your mind that you need to go faster and keep up with the other cars. You make the shift, and it's terrible. But somehow all the other gears afterwards feel easier.

What I commonly did was not release the gas all the way because my natural inclination to go faster is not to release the gas. I got so caught up in trying to keep up with other cars that I would alter my shifting behavior, which was not good. I eventually learned on my own what I was doing, but if I could do it again, I would've spent more time focusing on doing it right than doing it fast. Honestly, the speed will come naturally after learning it the right way. 1-2 shift is not that different from other shifts if done correctly. It's just in your head that it's different.
dnL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dnL For This Useful Post:
Dang Lad (06-15-2012), Jfheisenberg (05-18-2015), Manic (10-29-2013), Septic (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
DeeezNuuuts83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Location: Southern California
Posts: 997
Thanks: 115
Thanked 254 Times in 170 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
This if my first time really driving a stick, so I'm wondering if this is me or if its the car.
It's you.

All that you can really do is just keep practicing the 1-2 shift to smooth out your shifting technique to get rid of the problem.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
jarviz
Senior Member
 
jarviz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Raven FRS MT
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 965
Thanks: 76
Thanked 249 Times in 125 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Awesome! thanks for all the responses. I was glad it was me and not the car, at least this way I can fix that and still say I haven't found any issues with the car yet haha.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
DeeezNuuuts83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Location: Southern California
Posts: 997
Thanks: 115
Thanked 254 Times in 170 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you want to be sure, find someone else who is pretty good with stick and see if they can do it. Obviously everyone has to adjust to a different car since not all sticks are exactly the same, but anyone who really knows how to drive stick will adjust to it in no time.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
easybreazy
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: Prelude to FR-S
Location: USA
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow, breaking in a new clutch while learning stick. You guys got balls.
easybreazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Drunknhero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 13 Firestorm
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 120
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnL View Post
I'm going to guess you're going through what I did when I was first learning stick. I learned stick only after driving an automatic for a long time.

You're at a stop light. You're a stick noob. You don't want people to know you're a noob and embarrass yourself, especially in a nice car. You want to get off the line and accelerate just as fast and as smoothly as the other cars, so as not to show off your noobness. So the light turns green, you slowly start rolling in first, and you see the other cars around... they're all flying by because you spent so much time starting from a stop. Now you want to accelerate and move with the flow of traffic, and after you've accelerated some, you want to shift to 2nd. But you still have in your mind that you need to go faster and keep up with the other cars. You make the shift, and it's terrible. But somehow all the other gears afterwards feel easier.

What I commonly did was not release the gas all the way because my natural inclination to go faster is not to release the gas. I got so caught up in trying to keep up with other cars that I would alter my shifting behavior, which was not good. I eventually learned on my own what I was doing, but if I could do it again, I would've spent more time focusing on doing it right than doing it fast. Honestly, the speed will come naturally after learning it the right way. 1-2 shift is not that different from other shifts if done correctly. It's just in your head that it's different.

this is my first manual car to learn on, and what he said is exactly what was going through my head. I was afraid that im not accelerate fast enough on a start, and tend to stalled the car because of my mind playing trick on me. Now I just take my time to slowly release the clutch and push in gas.
Drunknhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
Mazdaspeed
Member
 
Mazdaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 82
Thanks: 5
Thanked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The 1-2 shift is typically the most difficult shift on almost every car, one thing that may help is finding a safe spot where you can watch your tach as you release the clutch. If the needle drops suddenly, you need to release the throttle more as you shift. If the needle jumps up, you may want to leave your food gently resting on the gas as you shift to slow the drop in revs.
Mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard shifting into first gear; normal? blalor Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 54 08-31-2017 09:57 PM
How's the shifting of MT compared to other cars Lowellrenzo Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 25 06-07-2012 10:20 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.