follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #43
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Just go to these guys. They will make a quality headlight for the FR-S!

http://www.clearcorners.com/
I used to live down the street from his shop... great work, but looooooooooong turnaround times and pricey!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #44
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
I used to live down the street from his shop... great work, but looooooooooong turnaround times and pricey!
But you would have like led headlights and be unique!

But yeah pricy, but maybe cheaper than the jdm hid lights.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #45
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
But you would have like led headlights and be unique!

But yeah pricy, but maybe cheaper than the jdm hid lights.
Honestly, his headlights would put the JDM/Euro headlights to shame, and I would love to have his lights on my car if I were still doing shows in L.A.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #46
tripjammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
Honestly, his headlights would put the JDM/Euro headlights to shame, and I would love to have his lights on my car if I were still doing shows in L.A.
Yeah but they would be like $4000 to do it right since the FR-S does not come with HIDs. Its going to be cheaper to buy the JDM HIDs and then take them to clearcorner to do the LED upgrades. Clearcorner does not do real LED headlights just the accents. But they do HID upgrades, but it's like $1500 extra. They have nothing for the FRS\BRZ\86 yet...but you know they will be working on it.

They did good work on the 370Z headlight. This is the stock light...ugly...

Upgrade in matte black

Last edited by tripjammer; 02-24-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #47
Kuzuri
__(X)__

Drives: '11 Legacy, '89 190E, '78 GS1000
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
^ Those lights are AWESOME!

and, i know that its different to pout HIDs in halogen projectors vs HID projectors but I did it in my tC and the result was good so i will be doing the same to the fr-s until i can do a retrofit...
Kuzuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #48
delongedoug
Banned

Drives: 2.5 RS daily, Evo 8 track
The result is not "good". It's brighter and a more "sick color yo", that doesn't mean better. The light pattern is not where it is supposed to be because of the optics of the completely different systems. You know those cars driving towards you at night that clearly have aftermarket HIDs jammed into their econobox headlight housings you can spot from a mile away because their beam pattern is scattered all over the place and improperly setup? Yeah, that's you.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #49
Kuzuri
__(X)__

Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post
The result is not "good". It's brighter and a more "sick color yo", that doesn't mean better. The light pattern is not where it is supposed to be because of the optics of the completely different systems. You know those cars driving towards you at night that clearly have aftermarket HIDs jammed into their econobox headlight housings you can spot from a mile away because their beam pattern is scattered all over the place and improperly setup? Yeah, that's you.
Well, I can see better than I could with my halogen bulbs so IDGAF.... and my HIDs dont have a "sick color yo".... 6k - baby blue at the projector and white light. I havent had anybody flash me because they were too bright... and the beam is perfectly fine
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #50
Jokester

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '12 Honda CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Well, I can see better than I could with my halogen bulbs so IDGAF.... and my HIDs dont have a "sick color yo".... 6k - baby blue at the projector and white light. I havent had anybody flash me because they were too bright... and the beam is perfectly fine

pay no attention to the negative poster above you. most of us have learned to just skip over what he posts.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #51
Kuzuri
__(X)__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokester View Post
pay no attention to the negative poster above you. most of us have learned to just skip over what he posts.

I took it into a PM anyway

I just wanted to let people know that if you put HIDs in a halogen projector, its not like you wont be able to see or it will blow up or something... it works, and for me in the tC it worked better than the halogens I had when I got the headlights (my car is an 06, and i swapped for the 08-10 projectors)

I couldnt imagine taking the HIDs out and driving at night with halogens ever again... especially where i live, its miles and miles of backroads with no lights except for my headlights so its super dark at 10PM on my drive home from work! lol
Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #52
tripjammer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
I took it into a PM anyway

I just wanted to let people know that if you put HIDs in a halogen projector, its not like you wont be able to see or it will blow up or something... it works, and for me in the tC it worked better than the halogens I had when I got the headlights (my car is an 06, and i swapped for the 08-10 projectors)

I couldnt imagine taking the HIDs out and driving at night with halogens ever again... especially where i live, its miles and miles of backroads with no lights except for my headlights so its super dark at 10PM on my drive home from work! lol
Halogens suck!

I am going to find the JDM HIDs if I go FR-S...
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #53
CountChoculitis

Drives: 2008 Scion tC
I work at Toyota, and no one at my dealership knows anything about being able to order them or pricing yet...

So, from the other's that have ordered, who should I talk to? My GSM? Or just go to my Scion rep?

CountChoculitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #54
FRSpdDmn

Drives: 128i, Z3 Coupe, Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountChoculitis View Post
I work at Toyota, and no one at my dealership knows anything about being able to order them or pricing yet...

So, from the other's that have ordered, who should I talk to? My GSM? Or just go to my Scion rep?
Your regional Scion rep will have the most up-to-date info, but that is still basically NOTHING.
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion
www.DriveFasterNow.com
FRSpdDmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #55
FLHC

Drives: WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post
this isn't negative posting. This is informative posting.

HIDs in halogen housings produce glare. What this means is, if you shine your beams at a wall, you will see your distinct line, but you will also have an 'aura' above it that will blind oncoming drivers.

you may not be getting flashed because I, personally, don't flash people that have HIDs crammed into econobox halogen housings because 1) it's illegal to do so, 2) you're only creating more of a problem flashing lights and blinding even more drivers.

That... and cars have burned down due to this. I know I personally when I hear it happens.

It's not cool.
FLHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #56
Kuzuri
__(X)__

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHC View Post
this isn't negative posting. This is informative posting.

HIDs in halogen housings produce glare. What this means is, if you shine your beams at a wall, you will see your distinct line, but you will also have an 'aura' above it that will blind oncoming drivers.

you may not be getting flashed because I, personally, don't flash people that have HIDs crammed into econobox halogen housings because 1) it's illegal to do so, 2) you're only creating more of a problem flashing lights and blinding even more drivers.

That... and cars have burned down due to this. I know I personally when I hear it happens.

It's not cool.

I'll let you know when my car burns down so you can

also, YOU might not flash other drivers but it seems like everyone does around here. Even if im like 500 yds away ill get people flashing me to turn my brights off... so when people do that, i wait until they get like 20 yds in front of me until i switch to lows.... but nobody has ever flashed me with just my lows on so it must not be THAT bad....