follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateless View Post
I got charged it for just a wheel alignment, and when I complained that there are no fluids involved they said it was for the plastic they had to put on the seat. That's some fancy aѕѕ plastic. I don't use them any more.
That is funny. What a bunch of arrogant a-holes.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #16
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Sounds like you've been to the Calgary Subaru dealerships haha

On top of charging nearly double anyone else, Subaru Calgary even charges a bullѕhit environmental fee of $20 for every service, no matter what. I got charged it for just a wheel alignment, and when I complained that there are no fluids involved they said it was for the plastic they had to put on the seat. That's some fancy aѕѕ plastic. I don't use them any more.
lol i keep reading about how horrible the subaru dealerships in cowtown is.

I think people will get the FRS just so they dont have to deal with them lol.
Or get the car there and go to a toyota dealership for service
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #17
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
We see it happen with Pontiac Vibes frequently. You need to be careful on those sometimes though, despite mostly being the same, there are many differences. A lot that most people wouldn't think would be different (such as the engine drive belt, and the cabin air filter, etc.)

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
Saibot

Drives: 01 Toyota Corolla / Porsche 911 C2
Garage
Quote:
Sounds like you've been to the Calgary Subaru dealerships haha

On top of charging nearly double anyone else, Subaru Calgary even charges a bullѕhit environmental fee of $20 for every service, no matter what. I got charged it for just a wheel alignment, and when I complained that there are no fluids involved they said it was for the plastic they had to put on the seat. That's some fancy aѕѕ plastic. I don't use them any more.
LMAOOO Funniest thing i've heard.

My advice though; is not to screw over a mechanic after you've found a good one...

I found the cheapest guy in town to do off-rim tire swaps: 15 bucks per tire... so i recently broke an engine mount and asked him for a quote. He checked it out for free, told me part would cost 90 bucks, labour 80 = $170... which is alright i guess... He was pretty honest though; he told me the car was safe to drive and the engine mount would only cause annoying rattles (I already knew this since i drove back from the states with a horrible rattling).

so i go home, call some other places up and tell them the exact problem for quotes. most places wanted 200-300 bucks (CAA car care wanted to charge me 50 bucks just for looking at my car).

Some more researching and being cheap, i found out i can get the part for 40 bucks so i call up the "honest mechanic" and ask if he'll do it for 80 bucks if i bring the part. OOoOoOoo he got soOoOoooOOOoo mad ... told me to go find someone else to do it. Dont think he'll ever wana do anything for me again.. even cheap tire swaps
Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
stateless
Double Dragon

Drives: 2013 6MT BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Or get the car there and go to a toyota dealership for service
Exactly Luckily there are also a few decent mechanics I've found who know Subaru mechanics well and are honest. Getting a clutch replaced on a WRX is expensive (and probably will be on the BRZ too, because of the boxer engine), and I paid half what the dealership charges, and it was done quickly. The mechanic did a great job too.

Regarding the environmental fee stuff: the best part is that Calgary Subaru calls you after to see how their service was, and when I mentioned (very politely) the added "environmental" fee and what it's for given that this was a wheel alignment, she got argumentative that it was a necessary fee and well worth what was charged because of the plastic bags they go through (I still don't understand the "environmental" part of the fee if its just paying for bags that go to the landfill or get recycled; how does my money help this situation?).

At the same dealership (Calgary Subaru) I had brought my WRX in for a maintenance and had just paid someone to rotate the tires (I had bought it from someone who had never rotated them and the front tires were nearly bald). I politely mentioned that the maintenance says they will rotate the tires and asked them to please not rotate the tires because I just rotated them. The service woman snapped that they would only rotate them if they needed rotating and became angry at my request (not sure why).

So I get back to pick up my car and find the tires rotated and I was charged for it. The wear was obvious to anyone between the front and back (and I'm not a mechanic in the least, I just like driving, but one pair was clearly bald while the other was nearly new). So I had to pay someone else again to rotate them back (if I took it back, I'd have to wait another whole day while they do it, as every oil change or minor service takes them a day to complete). So that was three charges for the same tire rotation.

Last edited by stateless; 06-03-2012 at 06:27 PM.
stateless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Subaru clutch changes are a headache because you need to disconnect the front axles, drop the header, unbolt the fucked up transmission mount, and disconnect the driveshaft

i actually haven't seen how the FRS/BRZ tranny mounts to the frame, but i think it will be way easier.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
stateless
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
Subaru clutch changes are a headache because you need to disconnect the front axles, drop the header, unbolt the fucked up transmission mount, and disconnect the driveshaft

i actually haven't seen how the FRS/BRZ tranny mounts to the frame, but i think it will be way easier.
I hope that's true! I know the WRX was not easy to change and I was glad I found a reasonably priced and good mechanic to do it.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The Zx6 transmission is mounted like most other RWD transmissions: a single mount at the rear. It should be relatively easy to remove, provided there are no extremely hard to reach bolts bolting the bellhousing to the block.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #23
SCIONMONTREAL

Drives: TC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You get it all back by charging premium for parts and labour

Book value says a job takes 4 hours to complete, competent mechanic finishes in 1 hour, you pocket 3 hour difference, multiply by a whole day and you've made 2-3 grand from a single technitian.

Not to mention disqualifying half of the warranty claims in the hopes that the consumer is too stupid to call up the manufacturer.

Cha-ching!
I'm sending out this offer to you, come spend one hour in our Garage, I give all customers a full visit of our installations, they are always amazed at how insanely busy a Toyota dealership is around Tire change season ! it's absolutely bananas
SCIONMONTREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #24
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibot View Post
LMAOOO Funniest thing i've heard.

My advice though; is not to screw over a mechanic after you've found a good one...

I found the cheapest guy in town to do off-rim tire swaps: 15 bucks per tire... so i recently broke an engine mount and asked him for a quote. He checked it out for free, told me part would cost 90 bucks, labour 80 = $170... which is alright i guess... He was pretty honest though; he told me the car was safe to drive and the engine mount would only cause annoying rattles (I already knew this since i drove back from the states with a horrible rattling).

so i go home, call some other places up and tell them the exact problem for quotes. most places wanted 200-300 bucks (CAA car care wanted to charge me 50 bucks just for looking at my car).

Some more researching and being cheap, i found out i can get the part for 40 bucks so i call up the "honest mechanic" and ask if he'll do it for 80 bucks if i bring the part. OOoOoOoo he got soOoOoooOOOoo mad ... told me to go find someone else to do it. Dont think he'll ever wana do anything for me again.. even cheap tire swaps
Meh, just phone him up. Just lie and say a buddy could've sold you a used part on the cheap but you still wanted him to do the work since you think he's the best mechanic in town.
Enemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCIONMONTREAL View Post
I'm sending out this offer to you, come spend one hour in our Garage, I give all customers a full visit of our installations, they are always amazed at how insanely busy a Toyota dealership is around Tire change season ! it's absolutely bananas
Why would i drive for 6 hours to see how you guys work? I have a Scion/Toyota dealership a block away from my work.

You might amaze the occasional soccer mom but not me, lol.

Tell me this instead, does your dealership charge book time or real time for work performed, and how often do you sell parts to customers at dealer cost?

Don't answer that because it's silly, if you didn't, then you would be out of business.

This is the problem with operating fancy multi-story dealership facilities that have hidden hot tubs and rub-n-tug rooms. Your operating costs are so huge you're pretty much forced to rip on people.

Somewhere along the way in our history it was decided that purchasing a car was supposed to be some sort of magical experience, which evolved into the idea that servicing a car should be a magical experience too. Customer always right bullshit. I really don't feel like paying for the 20 different magazine subscriptions, marquee couches, 60" flatscreen TVs and gourmet coffee while i wait for my tires to be flipped around.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
stateless
Double Dragon

Quote:
This is the problem with operating fancy multi-story dealership facilities that have hidden hot tubs and rub-n-tug rooms.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
FR

Drives: 318ti
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Why would i drive for 6 hours to see how you guys work? I have a Scion/Toyota dealership a block away from my work.

You might amaze the occasional soccer mom but not me, lol.

Tell me this instead, does your dealership charge book time or real time for work performed, and how often do you sell parts to customers at dealer cost?

Don't answer that because it's silly, if you didn't, then you would be out of business.

This is the problem with operating fancy multi-story dealership facilities that have hidden hot tubs and rub-n-tug rooms. Your operating costs are so huge you're pretty much forced to rip on people.

Somewhere along the way in our history it was decided that purchasing a car was supposed to be some sort of magical experience, which evolved into the idea that servicing a car should be a magical experience too. Customer always right bullshit. I really don't feel like paying for the 20 different magazine subscriptions, marquee couches, 60" flatscreen TVs and gourmet coffee while i wait for my tires to be flipped around.
I know that Montreal dealerships, especially due to the brutal amount of competition are a tough environment, before buying my wife's XB last year we really took it to the limit possible before taking a decision and CAA here does give you the cost info so it's easier to know if you're getting screwed
FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
Saibot

Drives: 01 Toyota Corolla / Porsche 911 C2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCIONMONTREAL View Post
i actually feel really bad for this dealership. we should take it easy.. after all, hes one of the only dealerships that took the time actually come onto this board.

Last edited by Saibot; 03-29-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote