follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2022, 01:18 PM   #645
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
One of the big factors that play in MT's selling over AT's currently is probably the fact that this new gen release is currently only known by enthusiasts, particularly for this car. The big fans of this car are more likely to be the kind of people that DO want to use it for track/racing purposes. So the initial buyers are all the people super excited to get their hands on this type of car because they know exactly what they're buying into. Majority of them are probably MT lovers as that's what this cars focus was from the beginning.

As time passes, all the other buyers will start jumping in as they learn about the car or make their decision, and those will be the majority - AT buyers.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #646
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Most (non-enthusiast) buyers are going to prioritize color over transmission type.
You've probably meant "Most (non-enthusiast) buyers are going to only shop for an AT from the start."
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #647
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I really wish it was the BRZ that I wanted more. If I put an order in at same time I did for the 86, I would have received an ETA a day or two later, probably for May latest. Now I have no idea whether I'll get a car next month or next year. I've basically entered a lottery. The Toyota system is pure torture.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #648
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
One of the big factors that play in MT's selling over AT's currently is probably the fact that this new gen release is currently only known by enthusiasts, particularly for this car. The big fans of this car are more likely to be the kind of people that DO want to use it for track/racing purposes. So the initial buyers are all the people super excited to get their hands on this type of car because they know exactly what they're buying into. Majority of them are probably MT lovers as that's what this cars focus was from the beginning.

As time passes, all the other buyers will start jumping in as they learn about the car or make their decision, and those will be the majority - AT buyers.
So I am an enthusiast who has never tracked-it (and probably will never track it - but never say never). I am also a manual only until they pry it from my cold dead hands. I know I am not a typical buyer of any car, although I am certainly closer to a typical buyer of THIS car.

And I generally agree with Tcoat on the concept that Internet knuckleheads that think they know more than the guys who have all the information, know all the numbers, and OH YEAH, get PAID to make these types of decisions (and get fired if they make the wrong ones, aren't as smart as they think they are.

Having said ALL of that, I do think both Toyota and Subaru (but more Toyota) made at least somewhat of an error in the percentage of manuals they ordered (at least for the North American market) and probably could have ordered a lot more "interesting" colors - bRed, Neptune Blue and even Trueno and Halo, premiums in MT and sold all of them just as easily, if not more easily, than the silver and gray base models they sold.

And here is the relatively free benefit, if not identifiable dollars, you would make.
First, I can tell you right now, those cars are going for a premium at dealers (so the dealers would be happy) and I have to believe there is a little higher profit margin on the premiums. Win/Win

Second, even if they sit (which we all know they don't), I guarantee the dealers would sit them front and center in the showroom (which is probably empty).

Third, when they are sold - they become billboards for your brand as something a little boy (or girl) sees on the road (or even adults or people pretending to be) and asks "what is that?" I get that every now and then with the BRZ right now - I expect to get it almost all the time when I get my Neptune Blue.

Fourth, they are promoting (with more manuals) what the car (I thought) was meant to promote as an admitted loss leader (or at least, not a huge profit center) - passion and love for driving, RWD, sports cars, etc., etc., for those of us who really want to hold onto the passion of ICE as long as possible (and, hopefully, pass it on our to children).

I think that what happened here is that whomever is doing the allocating of colors/manuals/trim levels figured nobody ever got fired for ordering too many base trim/AT/silvers/grays.

In any event TLDR; and yes, sorry if you are the proud owner of a steel AT base - that's a great car too though! In all seriousness, I have seen great looking Gen1's and Gen2's in pretty much every color.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 12:19 AM   #649
tian105

Drives: M4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If anyone needs a base manual in pavement gray let me know. I have a transferable allocation that can be passed on to someone else @msrp. Dealer is in PA
tian105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #650
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Having said ALL of that, I do think both Toyota and Subaru (but more Toyota) made at least somewhat of an error in the percentage of manuals they ordered (at least for the North American market) and probably could have ordered a lot more "interesting" colors - bRed, Neptune Blue and even Trueno and Halo, premiums in MT and sold all of them just as easily, if not more easily, than the silver and gray base models they sold.
With what I said, I'm basically agreeing. The fact that the initial buyers of this car are going to be big MT enthusiasts means they should have probably put a little more initial allocation into that. I guess that's just not how it works though.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (03-05-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 05:50 AM   #651
autosenses

Drives: 22 Raven 86, 19 STI, 15MK7 SE daily
Does anyone have information on new allocations or toyota production for 22? I spoke to my salesman and he has not got anything from toyota. They got 4 Gr's all auto's and all sold since release. I'm slated 1st for the manual but it seems like no movement? Back in January, salesman estimated a late Feb or early march order.
autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:47 PM   #652
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
My salesman has no info, and I haven't seen any deliveries online at other dealerships, 250+ mile range.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:02 PM   #653
fredzy
Mebmer

I think there has definitely been a bit of a backup - maybe the QC hold. If that has cleared, dealers might actually get some allocations this next round - if so it would be known by this time next week.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:42 PM   #654
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
There seems to be a blip of deliveries. I called a few dealers today but cars were already spoken for, but cars are incoming.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:08 PM   #655
fredzy
Mebmer

Yes it looks like the QC hold is over, certainly for some people. I would guess all.

Interesting stats from survey of 250 people who put orders in (gr86 org): Almost perfect 80% manual 20% auto split. Same with premium vs. base = 80/20.

Then consider this insight from a guy there who works at a dealer:

"Interesting find yesterday. 250 Cars allocated across the country. (Results not including Gulf South) 23 manuals. 19 of them with no reservation."

I mean, those 250 responders probably aren't a perfect sample of the GR86 buyer population but it's hard to see that as anything but a huge miss so far. I hope they were building more autos first for some reason... anyhow with QC hold over maybe there will be more allocation movement as well.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:00 PM   #656
jimmyjazz86

Drives: 22’ Red GR86 MT Premium
After a long wait, I finally picked mine up at Longo Toyota. Ended up going with the Red instead of the white like I originally wanted, and I'm falling in love with it every time I see it. I was #1 on the waitlist since January, and #7 since release, and I had a deposit down in July. Salesmen was super helpful, didn't pay over MSRP, and they didn't drill the bumper or wash it. Taking it in the next couple weeks for Ceramic and Tint, as well as a double dash cam install.

Still learning how to drive it as its my first MT car, but enjoying it. Have an MTEC clutch spring on the way, and will A/B them and decide which i like better. Can't wait to be done with break in so I can actually send it!
jimmyjazz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyjazz86 For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (03-11-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 09:25 PM   #657
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I’m beginning to think manual transmission cars don’t exist. Have deposits with three different dealerships, and everything that they get is an automatic…
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:

Last edited by zooki; 03-12-2022 at 09:45 PM.
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:56 PM   #658
Unlisted

Drives: 2023 GR86
Placed a deposit at the end of January for a Halo Premium MT in western Massachusetts. Hopefully soon....
Unlisted is offline   Reply With Quote