follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #127
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymshulman View Post
One more thing. Hope it’s okay with all the questions:

How is the call quality? Does it (can it?) use a new mic that gets wired up?
Fire away with the questions.

Call quality I'm not sure of yet. I just called my wife and she said it sucked. She said she could hardly hear me and said she could hear herself echoing. I dropped the call and called back a few times to make sure it wasn't the cell connection but got the same result. I xfered the call back to the phone and she said I sounded fine. This was in CarPlay. I then went in a place to order lunch, when I came back to the car the call xfered to the HU as a native BT call (not through CarPlay) and she said I sounded fine. So maybe noise suppression isn't as good through CarPlay. The CarLink app has some noise suppression options which I am going to play with on the way home.

I will be bummed if I can't find a way to get good call quality through CarPlay.

I will report back what I find after more testing.

BTW, I installed the external mic at the top left of the windshield pointed towards my mouth.

Last edited by ermax; 06-02-2021 at 02:59 PM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
ymshulman (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #128
ermax

For sure call quality while in “wireless” CarPlay sucks. I was on the phone with my wife on the way home from work tonight and she said it sucked. Then CarLink crashed so it switched over to a standard BT call and instantly the quality of her voice got much better and she said I sounded like I was talking directly into the phone and the echo of her voice was gone. I’ve seen some other CarLink apk files floating around, I’m going to try some others.

I also emphasize that I’m testing with wireless CarPlay. Next I’m going to try it wired to see if anything changes.

Standard BT Call quality is really good though. Better than the OEM head unit. My wife normally hears my engine but she said she couldn’t hear it at all today, on standard BT that is. So I think there is hope, CarLink is currently a beta.
ymshulman (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #129
ymshulman

Drives: '17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! Please keep us posted with updates - and I would imagine that if the built-in calling is fine; and CarLink is something that Teyes themselves is developing just for their own units, they'll figure it out soon.

BTW - how much was this headunit when you bought it? Wondering if the current price a big sale that I should grab it now, or wait till the bugs are worked out with CarPlay.
ymshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #130
ermax

TEYES CC3 Android HU

Quote:
Thanks! Please keep us posted with updates - and I would imagine that if the built-in calling is fine; and CarLink is something that Teyes themselves is developing just for their own units, they'll figure it out soon.

BTW - how much was this headunit when you bought it? Wondering if the current price a big sale that I should grab it now, or wait till the bugs are worked out with CarPlay.

$312 + $47 for shipping. It’s been that price for a long time. Long time as in 6 months or so.
ymshulman (06-02-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #131
ermax

So I test fit the Teyes backup camera to compare it to the camera I had installed on my OEM HU. Wow! Night and day!

Previously I had my camera installed in the OEM location which is on the left hand side. This time I installed it dead center. The first time I went to open my trunk I grabbed the camera. Now I know why Toyota/Subaru put it to the side. I may move it sometime this weekend.

Here is a picture that doesn't do it justice. I need to find a way to take a screenshot because that would be a better representation.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #132
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
So I test fit the Teyes backup camera to compare it to the camera I had installed on my OEM HU. Wow! Night and day!

Previously I had my camera installed in the OEM location which is on the left hand side. This time I installed it dead center. The first time I went to open my trunk I grabbed the camera. Now I know why Toyota/Subaru put it to the side. I may move it sometime this weekend.

Here is a picture that doesn't do it justice. I need to find a way to take a screenshot because that would be a better representation.

I had to use petroleum jelly to fish that damn RCA through that damn grommet lol. I also used one of this mechanical screw grabbers that I ran through the other end to pull it through.

The camera they supply is very crisp, and I love having that backup camera now.

What year is your car BTW. You said you didn't have carplay issues with your OEM port.

I've had mine for more than 6mo now and I love it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #133
ymshulman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
I had to use petroleum jelly to fish that damn RCA through that damn grommet lol. I also used one of this mechanical screw grabbers that I ran through the other end to pull it through.

What year is your car BTW. You said you didn't have carplay issues with your OEM port.

How has call quality been for you with CarPlay?

(Wired or wireless? External or built in mic?)
Old 06-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #134
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
How has call quality been for you with CarPlay?

(Wired or wireless? External or built in mic?)
I use Android auto, no apple for me. I get mixed responses on call quality. For the most part they hear me fine. I'm using built in mic.

Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rican_D For This Useful Post:
ymshulman (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #135
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post

Yeah I had to lube mine up too but wasn’t that bad. Took a few mins to get it through. My car is a 2013 and no problems using the OEM USB port.
Rican_D (06-06-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #136
ermax

So I just found a simple work around for the CarPlay call quality issue. I can start the call in CarPlay and then hit the back button (the physically back button to the left of the screen) which closes (not minimizes) the CarPlay app which then hands the call off to the native call app on the HU. Call quality is much better as a native BT call. You have to tell the caller to hold on a sec while you do it but it only takes a few seconds for it to hand off. My wife said she isn’t echoing and my voice is loud and clear but when I start driving she said it sounds like my windows are down. I have the mic mounted to the windshield. I’m going to try moving it around some. So I’m making progress at least.
ymshulman (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #137
ymshulman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
So I just found a simple work around for the CarPlay call quality issue. I can start the call in CarPlay and then hit the back button (the physically back button to the left of the screen) which closes (not minimizes) the CarPlay app which then hands the call off to the native call app on the HU. Call quality is much better as a native BT call. You have to tell the caller to hold on a sec while you do it but it only takes a few seconds for it to hand off. My wife said she isn’t echoing and my voice is loud and clear but when I start driving she said it sounds like my windows are down. I have the mic mounted to the windshield. I’m going to try moving it around some. So I’m making progress at least.

Thanks for the update! But if you then open CarPlay again (so you can see your map,) does the car audio stay native or switch back to CarPlay?
Old 06-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #138
ermax

Quote:
Thanks for the update! But if you then open CarPlay again (so you can see your map,) does the car audio stay native or switch back to CarPlay?
Switches back. I don't spend much time on the phone so this workaround will work well for me but not perfect. I'm crossing my fingers this will eventually get resolved.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:03 PM   #139
Butterballz

Drives: Black FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Did anyone figure out how to get rid of the speed warning when you're driving over 80mph? It scared the crap out of me the first time, now it's just annoying.
Butterballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #140
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterballz View Post
Did anyone figure out how to get rid of the speed warning when you're driving over 80mph? It scared the crap out of me the first time, now it's just annoying.

I didn’t get the ODB2 Dongle so mine doesn’t know my speed. I thought it was set to 200kph. 80mph is a bit ridiculous.