follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #15
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
For OP: fix the strut issue first. A new strut will mean you'll need an alignment anyway, and if the lean is severe enough it will throw a fresh alignment out of whack once the lean is corrected.

You can find tons of people in the classifieds selling their stock shocks/struts with springs attached. You can probably low ball them because pretty much everyone already has a set of stock shocks/struts, and they aren't selling (i.e. supply/demand is in your favor).
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
A full damper/spring swap won't throw off the car's alignment as long as the toe arms/links aren't touched (they shouldn't be to do this work).

I would have full confidence installing replacement dampers without an alignment being necessary, presuming the alignment was acceptable before. However it's warranted in the OP's scenario.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #17
i heart ricers

Drives: g37 - 370z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
tire pressure?
i heart ricers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #18
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
A full damper/spring swap won't throw off the car's alignment as long as the toe arms/links aren't touched (they shouldn't be to do this work).

I would have full confidence installing replacement dampers without an alignment being necessary, presuming the alignment was acceptable before. However it's warranted in the OP's scenario.
If the shock is blown to the point that the car is leaning due to no compression resistance, it will absolutely affect alignment. Getting an alignment before fixing that would be a total waste of time and money.

My guess is new shocks will correct the lean, which will change the static alignment values.
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #19
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
If the shock is blown to the point that the car is leaning due to no compression resistance, it will absolutely affect alignment. Getting an alignment before fixing that would be a total waste of time and money.

My guess is new shocks will correct the lean, which will change the static alignment values.
If the alignment was correct before the blown damper, and the blown damper is the sole cause of the alignment issues, then replacing the blown damper would bring the alignment back into spec imo.

I believe we both understand what's going on, and blind troubleshooting comes up with more 'ifs' than necessary.

The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #20
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
If the alignment was correct before the blown damper, and the blown damper is the sole cause of the alignment issues, then replacing the blown damper would bring the alignment back into spec imo.

I believe we both understand what's going on, and blind troubleshooting comes up with more 'ifs' than necessary.

Manufacturing tolerances mean that a new strut/shock could change the alignment. There's also no guarantee the alignment was correct to begin with.

In general, when there is evidence of a bad alignment, you:
1. Inspect all alignment-related parts and replace them if needed
2. Perform a full alignment of the car

Anything less than that amounts to hoping it's fine, without really verifying that it is. And that's fine if you're not concerned about tire wear. If you are though, you need to do this right.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:22 PM   #21
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I wouldn't recommended that. The springs still hold a considerable amount of force at full droop and won't be fully uncompressed. Removing them at that point would get dangerous.
Full droop of the control arms? If you remove the top nut, the arms should continue to drop until the shock is totally out of the upper mount and there's no tension at all left on the spring.

Quote:

I wouldn't think that our stock shocks have enough gas pressure to provide any static support? If that's the case, then a blown shock shouldn't be causing the lean while the car is stopped.

That said, even if it's not leaning while stopped from that, it will absolutely affect how much the car rolls in a corner since there will be essentially no compression damping.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:42 AM   #22
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I wouldn't think that our stock shocks have enough gas pressure to provide any static support? If that's the case, then a blown shock shouldn't be causing the lean while the car is stopped.
Most OEM shocks provide some support that way. It's an old and well known stock class racing trick when restrictive rules are in play, drill into the shock and degass it to lower the CG. (The shock stops working properly, of course, but there are other tricks around that and on some cars it's worth it).
Old 12-02-2016, 01:35 AM   #23
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Manufacturing tolerances mean that a new strut/shock could change the alignment. There's also no guarantee the alignment was correct to begin with.
Those tolerances are not great enough to have a significant effect on the end alignment unless there is a defect.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #24
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
Those tolerances are not great enough to have a significant effect on the end alignment unless there is a defect.
That's simply not true.

I'm done arguing this with you. If you want to recommend advice that might fix the OP's problem, go ahead. I've recommended advice that guarantees a fix with no lingering issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #25
strat61caster
-

Quote:
That's simply not true.

I'm done arguing this with you. If you want to recommend advice that might fix the OP's problem, go ahead. I've recommended advice that guarantees a fix with no lingering issues.
Unless of course the dampers aren't actually causing the alignment issue.

I've taken the suspension on my car apart and put it back together about a dozen times over the past year, as long as the toe-arms are correct there's not much you can do to fuck it up without adding aftermarket adjustable components.

Edit: btw, I do concur, in a perfect world, replace dampers, go to alignment shop, replace any additional components at alignment shops recommendation to get the car back in spec.

Not everyone is ready to plop down $400+ on that procedure though. Maybe just the dampers fixes it, maybe the dampers aren't the cause, just not enough info to go off of.

Last edited by strat61caster; 12-02-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #26
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So, leaning right.

Any chance she's just celebrating a Trump victory?
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #27
TelMinz
Rotary for the win

Drives: BRZ, FD3S RX7
Garage
Quote:
Unless of course the dampers aren't actually causing the alignment issue.

I've taken the suspension on my car apart and put it back together about a dozen times over the past year, as long as the toe-arms are correct there's not much you can do to fuck it up without adding aftermarket adjustable components.

Edit: btw, I do concur, in a perfect world, replace dampers, go to alignment shop, replace any additional components at alignment shops recommendation to get the car back in spec.

Not everyone is ready to plop down $400+ on that procedure though. Maybe just the dampers fixes it, maybe the dampers aren't the cause, just not enough info to go off of.

Where do you live that an alignment is $400.00? Canada?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #28
TelMinz
Rotary for the win

Drives: BRZ, FD3S RX7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
So, leaning right.

Any chance she's just celebrating a Trump victory?
How do you know the OP is a she?