follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #43
track junkie

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Still waiting on the car. Of course she had to have the top trim in the rarest colour. Should have an idea today as to when it will actually show up. I liked it enough on the brief city test drive that we stopped shopping for others and that actually says a lot since we love car shopping.
I am also looking forward to the review. Did she order the Harman Kardon system? It's supposed to be very impressive from what I read.
track junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #44
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Did she get manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Still waiting on the car. Of course she had to have the top trim in the rarest colour. Should have an idea today as to when it will actually show up. I liked it enough on the brief city test drive that we stopped shopping for others and that actually says a lot since we love car shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Did she get manual?
Good lord no, she can hardly walk from a knee injury 20 years ago much less drive a stck (she did before the accident). Besides they don't make the Sport Tech in a manual. Just CVT. Now it is a pretty nice CVT all said in done but still a CVT.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #46
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by track junkie View Post
I am also looking forward to the review. Did she order the Harman Kardon system? It's supposed to be very impressive from what I read.
Came with it and it is awesome. It is the very top trim with the tech package added on top of that.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #47
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
couple of things...

I love the new Impreza. I was able to drive it pretty hard in a slalom-type course. The global platform is definitely a winner on a compact car like the Impreza. The longer wheelbase and more width than the outgoing car give it a much more solid and comfortable drive. I would totally own one if I needed one.

Not sure how I'd feel if they put the WRX/STI directly onto this platform though. The Impreza is pretty long and grew almost 2.5-3.0 inches. I've driven the sedan and doesn't feel very compact. I we'll just have to wait and see what Subaru can do when the mess with the DNA of the WRX and global platform.

Finally, BRZ production won't be ending until October this year. BRZ always have a couple of dead months in between end of production of previous MY to initial production of next MY units so 2018's probably won't be out until late Winter Jan/Feb. 2018!

That's 7 months of 2017 models left, but production and shipment has definitely declined. My dealer used to get 3-5 BRZ's per month but in the past 6 months we've only received 9, 2 being the Series.Yellow's, 4 performance package ones, 2 automatics, and 1 Limited 6MT model.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #48
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
couple of things...

I love the new Impreza. I was able to drive it pretty hard in a slalom-type course. The global platform is definitely a winner on a compact car like the Impreza. The longer wheelbase and more width than the outgoing car give it a much more solid and comfortable drive. I would totally own one if I needed one.

Not sure how I'd feel if they put the WRX/STI directly onto this platform though. The Impreza is pretty long and grew almost 2.5-3.0 inches. I've driven the sedan and doesn't feel very compact. I we'll just have to wait and see what Subaru can do when the mess with the DNA of the WRX and global platform.

Finally, BRZ production won't be ending until October this year. BRZ always have a couple of dead months in between end of production of previous MY to initial production of next MY units so 2018's probably won't be out until late Winter Jan/Feb. 2018!

That's 7 months of 2017 models left, but production and shipment has definitely declined. My dealer used to get 3-5 BRZ's per month but in the past 6 months we've only received 9, 2 being the Series.Yellow's, 4 performance package ones, 2 automatics, and 1 Limited 6MT model.

Ya based on a platform does not always mean directly built on it. They may be able to shorten it up a bit but like you said the WRX has already grown so much that and extra couple of inches won't hurt much.

Looks like they really need to get the car here so that I can get some longer seat time in and do a review thread.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:57 PM   #49
calidus

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The 3 Series and even the Civic have all grown at least as much as the WRX has.
calidus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calidus For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:54 AM   #50
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I got quasi lucky when I got my BRZ.

When I finally decided and told my local dealer that I wanted a new model (they had a 2013) on the lot, the dealer was more than happy to show me their 'new' 2016 limited with an auto... yeah.... no I told him that I wanted a 2017 with PP and maybe the series.yellow, he laughed and said that they could order me one, but it would be months before I got it and it would likely be priced above MSRP since they are the only dealers in Alaska and it's a low volume car for them...

So I decided to seek out dealers at the closest port, Seattle. And low and behold there are 5 dealerships in that area and at the time the ONLY PP cars available were the 9 Series.Yellows scattered around the city! It was a buyers market for that color... And thanks to the Subaru owner loyalty coupon I wound up buying my Series.Yellow from Subaru of Puallup for $500 under invoice!

I think I did pretty good BUT... I did have to pay $1800 to get it shipped the Alaska.

Totally worth it! And I'm excited to find a reason to visit my local dealer and show it off...

Oh and it reiterate a point already made, I get someone every day asking me what that car it is, lol one poor guy asked me if it was a Porsche.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #51
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow, this thread makes me dizzy! We have more widely diverging opinions, reports from dealers, and purchasing experiences than we could organize into a chart. And then of course, there's location, location, location.

And I guess I came of age in prehistoric times, but the most mysterious claim I still can't figure out is the dealer who says you must expect to pay above sticker price because it's an unpopular, low volume car.

There is one concept from the Dark Ages which seems to be valid still, however: if you don't absolutely have to have the latest model and equipment, and look long enough, you can get a super shiny "used" Twin that still smells new for 5k less than showroom price. That's what I did in 2015, and if series.whatever with PP proves too hard to go without, I'm sure I can wait until it ages a bit (on paper) and snag a similar deal again. The guys who turn up their noses at a "demo" with 250 miles have got something going on that I don't understand . . .

P.S.: Around here every other car is an Outback, so they do know what a Subaru is, but the puzzlement that creeps over their faces ("THAT'S a Subaru!?") is a pretty good payoff.

Tcoat (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #52
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My dealer, Broadway Subaru in Oakland, told me they were required to take in the Series Yellow to promote the model. It does look impressive in the showroom. They have it priced several grand *above* MSRP on the sticker. They also had a newly-arrived silver with PP, which I test drove. (They just handed me the key and said have fun.) When I asked if I could order one in white with PP, they said no problem, six to eight weeks. Later that day I sent an email asking for my car at factory invoice. Sure, no problem, they said. Done deal. But the Series Yellow sits there priced $6,500 higher! I guess I don't get the car biz.
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #53
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
west houston subaru has 5 or 6 yellow series in stock...they always give great prices.

I'd of gotten one but had to purchase a car back in october so I couldnt wait.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aluma007 For This Useful Post:
KDad2 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #54
Romanov
Just another BRZ owner

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Most of the smaller dealerships in my town haven't gotten any brz's unless they've been used trade ins. Similarly i have not seen a single gt86 at the toyota dealership in my town yet. They just don't sell as much up here in Minnesota. Fine with me

Follow my Instagram @sal_brz
Romanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 AM   #55
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I stopped by the other day to pick up an oil filter, and was shocked to see a total of ONE BRZ (a yellow 2017 with Performance package) in the entire lot.

Has the sales gone south that bad? Or maybe they're just preparing for a new shipment of 2018? Either way, hope this isn't a bad sign of things to come.. Sad to see all the SUVs & wagons taking over the whole lot.
Well I went back to that same dealership yesterday and asked them (while I was waiting for service) why they only have that one yellow BRZ on the lot. The guy told me "That's not the only one." They keep the rest in the lot waaaay over there (pointing to a lot on top of a hill you couldn't see).

Guess they don't want anyone to see them.. maybe it scares the soccer moms away or something.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote