follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #15
timmydatooth

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was looking at more exhausts with the burnt tips. Does anyone have the agency power catback on there car? Aound isnt bad on it either.
timmydatooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #16
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmydatooth View Post
Not really sure what the difference is between cat and catless or res or non res. I know the catted front pipe costs more tho. Sorry im a noob to this

Its okay, catted front pipes have a catalytic converter, these are somewhat quieter than catless front pipes, the resonated pipe has a resonator which should reduce rasp and make it a bit quieter too.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
timmydatooth (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #17
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
if you're not planning to get header then N1 should be fine. otherwise Q300 or Perrin or other quieter exhaust set up.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #18
timmydatooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
if you're not planning to get header then N1 should be fine. otherwise Q300 or Perrin or other quieter exhaust set up.
So the N1 on a stock frs (besides a CAI) wont be too loud for daily driving/cruising? And im not trying to leave the silencers on all the time. Lol a lot of people say its good for the track but the drone can get annoying for DD
Old 07-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #19
timmydatooth

Ok so i think im gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on the q300! Im also going to get the invidia front pipe but whats better? Catted or non? Resonated or non? Whatever adds more sound and power is what im looking for.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #20
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok so i think im gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on the q300! Im also going to get the invidia front pipe but whats better? Catted or non? Resonated or non? Whatever adds more sound and power is what im looking for.
Resonators reduce the high-frequency "raspy" sound a lot of people don't like. If you keep the stock header, rasp won't be a huge issue, but a resonator wouldn't be a bad thing. Resonators have 0% impact on performance, so it's a question of personal preference.

I'm not sure what the law is in Florida re emissions inspections. Technically, removing a functional, factory catalytic converter is against federal law, but many people do it anyways (myself included). By default, these cars have two cats: one in the header, one in the front pipe. Cats are purely there to reduce emission of NOx and CO. Cats have a mild effect on performance because, by their very nature, they cause an exhaust restriction. Similarly, they reduce the volume (and maybe raspiness?) of your exhaust as well.

If you're staying naturally aspirated, getting a catless front pipe won't give you much of a performance gain (but it'll be something, maybe). Catless front pipes are less expensive, though. It's ultimately your choice. The popular route is to get a catless header with a catted front pipe. That way you have lower emissions, less restriction, and will probably pass a sniffer test.

Note that if you decide to go completely catless, you will most certainly fail an emissions sniffer test. Your exhaust will also smell like gas fumes.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
timmydatooth (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #21
timmydatooth

So would it be better for me to just skip on the front pipe and just get the q300 catback by itself? Does the stock pipe have a cat or a resonator?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #22
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Quote:
So would it be better for me to just skip on the front pipe and just get the q300 catback by itself? Does the stock pipe have a cat or a resonator?
Stock has a cat and a small (helmholtz?) resonator. In my opinion, swapping out the front pipe isn't particularly cost effective unless you're doing full exhaust, including header. But that's just me.

Edit: install the Q300 and see how you like it. If you decide you want a little more volume, I think a FP with a high-flow cat would make it a bit louder. But that's just speculation on my part.
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
timmydatooth (07-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
ramiram1984

Drives: 2016 STi DGM
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Resonators reduce the high-frequency "raspy" sound a lot of people don't like. If you keep the stock header, rasp won't be a huge issue, but a resonator wouldn't be a bad thing. Resonators have 0% impact on performance, so it's a question of personal preference.

I'm not sure what the law is in Florida re emissions inspections. Technically, removing a functional, factory catalytic converter is against federal law, but many people do it anyways (myself included). By default, these cars have two cats: one in the header, one in the front pipe. Cats are purely there to reduce emission of NOx and CO. Cats have a mild effect on performance because, by their very nature, they cause an exhaust restriction. Similarly, they reduce the volume (and maybe raspiness?) of your exhaust as well.

If you're staying naturally aspirated, getting a catless front pipe won't give you much of a performance gain (but it'll be something, maybe). Catless front pipes are less expensive, though. It's ultimately your choice. The popular route is to get a catless header with a catted front pipe. That way you have lower emissions, less restriction, and will probably pass a sniffer test.

Note that if you decide to go completely catless, you will most certainly fail an emissions sniffer test. Your exhaust will also smell like gas fumes.
Resonators add more weight. More weight to or already slow cars.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:18 AM   #24
timmydatooth

Yeah im gonna go the catless front pipe since florida doesn't have emission laws anymore. Last thing i need is more weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to timmydatooth For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 12:28 AM   #25
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Does anybody have a pair of the N1 silencers they aren't using? My exhaust didn't come with them and would like to try and see how it sounds.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:11 AM   #26
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiram1984 View Post
Resonators add more weight. More weight to our already slow cars.
I seriously doubt OP is building a racecar where a 5lb(?) resonator would matter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
EastBayCanuck (07-10-2015), JoeBoxer (07-10-2015), timmydatooth (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #27
timmydatooth

Have you guys every had any problems or fitment issues using a different brand front pipe with an invidia cat back? I was thinking of going a cheaper route on the front pipe like tanabe or jl2. Also doesnt the q300 catback come woth with the midpipe already that has a resonator on it?
Old 07-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #28
JG

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I still have my N1's on. Also with Invidia straight pipe, front pipe, overpipe, and openflash UEL header. It's loud when I want to be loud but when i drive casually it's not bad at all. Before i installed my header it wasn't bad at all, drone's a little on the hwy but you wont notice it after a week or two.
JG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, invidia, q300