follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2019, 03:30 AM   #1
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Kartboy Style Short Shifter Rattle Fix!

I think I finally found a permanent solution to the rattle found in Kartboy style short shifters. Previously, I had been applying grease inside the shifter where the reverse lockout spring was and this would do a decent job until the grease inevitably squeezed out. I'm not sure if it's the same on the Kartboy shifter, but on the DNA Motoring clone, there appears to be a small hole where the reverse lockout housing is pinned to the mechanism and grease would start to push out of it.

Now I've been sure that the rattle has been coming from this spring having too much slack against the inner walls of the shifter and the resonant frequency from the transmission was making it rattle at higher RPMs. I decided to take the spring out and put some heat shrink on it to snug up the fit. I've covered about 2/3s the length of the spring and it gives it just enough diameter to snug up against the inner walls.

I've been running it this way for a week now with zero rattles.

P.S. The DNA Motoring clone has held up perfectly for the last 3 years with no issues apart from the rattling!

Harlock (06-15-2019), humfrz (06-20-2019), JBezugs (06-15-2019), smg1138 (06-15-2019), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-15-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kartboy Style Short Shifter Rattle Fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
I think I finally found a permanent solution to the rattle found in Kartboy style short shifters. Previously, I had been applying grease inside the shifter where the reverse lockout spring was and this would do a decent job until the grease inevitably squeezed out. I'm not sure if it's the same on the Kartboy shifter, but on the DNA Motoring clone, there appears to be a small hole where the reverse lockout housing is pinned to the mechanism and grease would start to push out of it.

Now I've been sure that the rattle has been coming from this spring having too much slack against the inner walls of the shifter and the resonant frequency from the transmission was making it rattle at higher RPMs. I decided to take the spring out and put some heat shrink on it to snug up the fit. I've covered about 2/3s the length of the spring and it gives it just enough diameter to snug up against the inner walls.

I've been running it this way for a week now with zero rattles.

P.S. The DNA Motoring clone has held up perfectly for the last 3 years with no issues apart from the rattling!

Planning on doing this tonight with my ft86speedfactory shifter; how did you pull the spring out?

EDIT: never mind, realized you were talking about the reverse lockout spring! I pulled my grease covered unit out and wrapped it in the pink waterproofing tape (had no heat shrink on me) until it was tight to the sides, but still allowing the spring to move up and down. Hopefully that fixes the rattle!

Last edited by JBezugs; 06-20-2019 at 07:54 PM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Planning on doing this tonight with my ft86speedfactory shifter; how did you pull the spring out?

EDIT: never mind, realized you were talking about the reverse lockout spring! I pulled my grease covered unit out and wrapped it in the pink waterproofing tape (had no heat shrink on me) until it was tight to the sides, but still allowing the spring to move up and down. Hopefully that fixes the rattle!
Good luck! I'd recommend eventually switching to heatshrink as I imagine the tape won't be as permanent of a solution. Additionally, if the tape does manage to slip off or unravel, it might be a pain in the ass to get it out. Besides, it's nice to have some heatshrink tubing lying around for little DIY projects!

Either way though, hope it fixes the rattles for you because it's been working perfectly for me!
Old 06-26-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Good luck! I'd recommend eventually switching to heatshrink as I imagine the tape won't be as permanent of a solution. Additionally, if the tape does manage to slip off or unravel, it might be a pain in the ass to get it out. Besides, it's nice to have some heatshrink tubing lying around for little DIY projects!

Either way though, hope it fixes the rattles for you because it's been working perfectly for me!

Tape solution didn’t work, so I got wise.

Hopefully this fixes it!
Old 06-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
How did you remove the spring?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
How did you remove the spring?
I thinks a 6mm Allen underneath the shift knob. Remove it and pull up on the lever and the springs comes right out.

This is with the aftermarket shifters only though
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I have the STi short shifter and there's no allen key, just a hole...
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #8
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
I have the STi short shifter and there's no allen key, just a hole...
Well yes that is not an aftermarket shifter
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (06-15-2020)