follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #29
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Why so cheap?
Here is the difference
Fingers crossed! I definitely understand your apprehensiveness to this kit. You have a good relationship with Kartboy and he obviously makes quality products. I'm not denying that.

However, there is a significant lack of information on this amazingly priced kit. I'm merely offering myself as a guinea pig to see if it still stacks up to the big boys despite being a third of the cost. If it bites me in the ass, then that's on me, but I have yet to see a single thorough review of this product. Yes, other knock off short shift kits have exhibited faults and failures, but that doesn't mean that this kit will too.

So until this shifter catastrophically fails on me, I'll have no recourse but to say that it's been working fantastically. Shifts are substantially shorter and they feel crisp. As it is, this is a great value. It's definitely not aluminum, even weak magnets will stick to it (found that out while I was trying to fish out the reverse lockout spring with one). The welds looked solid and clean. The only part on the shifter that actually looked to be low quality was the ABS used for the actual reverse lockout plunger. Even that was remedied with some light sanding and polishing.

Bear in mind, early Japanese cars were merely knock offs of European models, and that worked out pretty well.
COO86L (09-27-2016)
Old 05-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #30
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
update: how does the shifter still feel? thinking about buying one myself
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #31
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
@Manic do you have any updates on how this is holding up? Also do you have more information about the spring greasing?
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #32
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
If he doesn't reply soon, I'm gonna pull the plug on this shifter. It looks exactly as the kartboy so let's see....
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #33
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
so what happened? Maybe it snapped leaving him stranded somewhere. Or its still working great he decided to buy them up and sell at a markup price
Old 01-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #34
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
so what happened? Maybe it snapped leaving him stranded somewhere. Or its still working great he decided to buy them up and sell at a markup price
Bit of a necro, I know. But I just really haven't been too active on the boards. The shifter is holding up great, no complaints at all. The rattle I had previously mentioned is all but gone after adding grease to the reverse lockout spring which you can access via hex bolt at the top of the shifter.

Shifters are still crisp and short with no failures to mention.