follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2022, 12:38 AM   #1
Project N64

Drives: 2017 Impreza S,2013 BRZ,2005 STI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
kyb excel g

Anyone have experience with these shocks/struts? I'm getting uneven tire wear, my shocks need replacing before I get new tires. Will these perform like crap? I'm under impression it's an oem replacement.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Project N64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:03 AM   #2
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project N64 View Post
Anyone have experience with these shocks/struts? I'm getting uneven tire wear, my shocks need replacing before I get new tires. Will these perform like crap? I'm under impression it's an oem replacement.

I am not saying you don't need to replace your shocks but you have had the alignment checked haven't you?

On other platforms I've seen people happy with them. I think KYB makes the oem shocks so they should be spot on fitment wise.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:38 AM   #3
marco_mc22

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Oem are Showa or Sachs, KYB are great tho.
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marco_mc22 For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #4
Project N64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I am not saying you don't need to replace your shocks but you have had the alignment checked haven't you?

On other platforms I've seen people happy with them. I think KYB makes the oem shocks so they should be spot on fitment wise.
Had my suspension inspected, shocks are leaking in the rear figure I might as well get them all replaced. Shame I can't find much info on these online as for reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
Oem are Showa or Sachs, KYB are great tho.
Good to hear, hopefully they last.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:21 PM   #5
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I've had the KYB Excel-G's on my older WRX. Put them on in 2013, did a good amount of autocross, ~60k miles, and well... 8-9 years old too. Still have them, although they probably need replaced again.

For street driving they are fine and even autox if you're not looking to be super competitive. Mine were paired with STI pink springs which are slightly lower and stiffer than stock.

Excel-G's are typically 20% stiffer than stock, which is usually a welcomed upgrade. My gripe with them vs some more expensive options are that if you experience extreme cold... like 20*F and lower, over time, the valving gets compromised. I heard this first on a Team O'Neil Rally School video and it mirror my experiences. Good shocks work well in all temps and can handle it longer term too.

But... they're pretty much the cheapest "decent" option out there. You won't want to go any lower in quality. Koni, for example, would be an upgrade, but you're talking $800+ just for struts I believe.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:32 AM   #6
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I've had them on for 2-3 years now, had 2 track session with them.

IIRC they feel better than the stock that came stock in 2013.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #7
Project N64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
I've had the KYB Excel-G's on my older WRX. Put them on in 2013, did a good amount of autocross, ~60k miles, and well... 8-9 years old too. Still have them, although they probably need replaced again.

For street driving they are fine and even autox if you're not looking to be super competitive. Mine were paired with STI pink springs which are slightly lower and stiffer than stock.

Excel-G's are typically 20% stiffer than stock, which is usually a welcomed upgrade. My gripe with them vs some more expensive options are that if you experience extreme cold... like 20*F and lower, over time, the valving gets compromised. I heard this first on a Team O'Neil Rally School video and it mirror my experiences. Good shocks work well in all temps and can handle it longer term too.

But... they're pretty much the cheapest "decent" option out there. You won't want to go any lower in quality. Koni, for example, would be an upgrade, but you're talking $800+ just for struts I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
I've had them on for 2-3 years now, had 2 track session with them.

IIRC they feel better than the stock that came stock in 2013.
This is great news, as long as it's OEM performance im happy. I figure with the sport cup 2's I've ordered it should handle very nicely.